New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-27-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: sDrive 35i DCT

Memo to BMW - Jobs for z4.1

I'm more than happy with the Z4 so far but there are some things you should have done. Here’s my list and others may follow.

1 -- I went for Jet Black even though metallic paint was standard for the 35i. I hate the hassle when body shops have to attend to chips and scrapes. I resent that metallic wasn’t optional with an appropriate price reduction but I guess that’s part of your cunning plan.

2 -- I went with Ivory because the alcantara added a bit of something to the interior. Had the alcantara been available on the other trim colours, I might have chosen one as I'm nervous about how white will look down the line and I'm starting to dislike the stripy wood effect on the dash. Piano black would have gone fine with the Ivory, or else, if they had alcantara inserts, I’d have gone for red or black with the aluminium dash. A nice mocha or tan leather option would have been nice or even some piping options; something for the Individual program maybe?

3 -- Not meaning to get personal but I'm sure when the ladies who designed the z4 wear a revealing dress they make sure they wear good underwear. The 296 19” alloys are quite revealing but the hubs, brake discs and calipers are certainly not for show. Some drilled discs and painted calipers would be good. Is there a fundamental difference between the brake assemblies on the z4 and those on the 335i or 135i for which the BMW performance brake package is available? My dealer plays things by the book but I really can’t see what would make them unsuitable. A version of that BMW performance steering wheel on the z4 accessory list would be cool too.

4 -- That antenna. There must be a better way.

5 -- Use LEDs to whiten those corona rings. Some people don’t care but neither would they object.

5 -- If the regular, non-comfort access remote is destined only to perform one roof function, closing is more useful than opening.

6 -- There should be an option in iDrive to have the folding mirrors do their thing on locking and unlocking. Right now, convenient closing is not as convenient as it could be.

7 -- Let the roof operate even up to just 10 – 15 mph. Your ultimate driving machine’s got me hoping traffic won’t move.

8 -- Have side marker lights available for all markets, not just North America. That nose is l-o-n-g.

9 -- You really shoulda had a built in wind deflector. TT owners are making me choke on my laugh.

10 -- Make the glovebox lock with the central locking. Then the key can double lock it for valet parking.

11 -- Front foglights. I know it fogs in Germany too.

12 -- Instead of having to hold a button for 4 or 5 seconds, a separate button on the side of the remote would be a better panic button. I know Germans are meant to be cool but for us Brits 5 seconds is a long time in a panic situation and a popped trunk lid never scared off anyone.

13 -- Everything is controlled by this microprocessor and that firmware nowadays so could the gearshift paddles not be configurable so that right is up and left is down - maybe in the iDrive settings menus - if that’s what the driver prefers? I'm all for BMW beating their own path but we also have an Audi (excuse my language) with S-tronic in the family and it gets confusing. Even you at BMW use the right for up left for down elsewhere in your range so what gives?

14 -- Now . . . . BMW!! Someone else needs to be shot. Everything used to be straightforward until someone thought calling a 2.5 litre 323i would be a fun idea. Now 316 means 1.8 or 1.6 sometimes, 318 means 2 litre, 535 means 3 litre but so does 530, 745 means 5 litre, 760 means 5.5 litre. I'm guessing you blew him away and not a moment too soon but the damage is done. So-called motoring journalists all over the world have been calling engine sizes wrong for years. But now your new guy has come up with sDrive35i and xDrive20d. Tell him to stop this childish practice and, most of all, stop him sticking his tacky badges on the side of our cars. It smacks of a 1970s Japanese SuperLuxeHighLineJetGlide XL or a vehicle from one of Thunderbird 2’s pods. I can hear Virgil Tracy saying “ We’re gonna need sDrive35i Dad” as I type. I wish I’d taken up the delete option but after the paint episode I couldn’t face paying for something else I wasn’t getting!

Lastly, and this is for nearly all manufacturers. Why do your Nav systems always want to know the town or city first? I always know the street but only sometimes know the town in which the Nav database lists it. I recently had to find a street which could have reasonably been listed in London, Norwood, Thornton Heath or Croydon; even those who live there aren't sure. Had I not been familiar with the area, I couldn’t have known these options.

Sorry it turned into a rant and don't listen to those who are saying you've gone all soft with the z4. Anyway, I'm sure you have something in the pipeline for them. z2 anyone?

Last edited by Toodeep; 11-27-2009 at 06:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
Argent60
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A6 3.0t Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodeep View Post
I'm more than happy with the Z4 so far but there are some things you should have done. Here’s my list and others may follow.

1 -- I went for Jet Black even though metallic paint was standard for the 35i. I hate the hassle when body shops have to attend to chips and scrapes. I resent that metallic wasn’t optional with an appropriate price reduction but I guess that’s part of your cunning plan.

2 -- I went with Ivory because the alcantara added a bit of something to the interior. Had the alcantara been available on the other trim colours, I might have chosen one as I'm nervous about how white will look down the line and I'm starting to dislike the stripy wood effect on the dash. Piano black would have gone fine with the Ivory, or else, if they had alcantara inserts, I’d have gone for red or black with the aluminium dash. A nice mocha or tan leather option would have been nice or even some piping options; something for the Individual program maybe?

3 -- Not meaning to get personal but I'm sure when the ladies who designed the z4 wear a revealing dress they make sure they wear good underwear. The 296 19” alloys are quite revealing but the hubs, brake discs and calipers are certainly not for show. Some drilled discs and painted calipers would be good. Is there a fundamental difference between the brake assemblies on the z4 and those on the 335i or 135i for which the BMW performance brake package is available? My dealer plays things by the book but I really can’t see what would make them unsuitable. A version of that BMW performance steering wheel on the z4 accessory list would be cool too.

5 -- Use LEDs to whiten those corona rings. Some people don’t care but neither would they object.

5 -- If the regular, non-comfort access remote is destined only to perform one roof function, closing is more useful than opening.

6 -- There should be an option in iDrive to have the folding mirrors do their thing on locking and unlocking. Right now, convenient closing is not as convenient as it could be.

7 -- Let the roof operate even up to just 10 – 15 mph. Your ultimate driving machine’s got me hoping traffic won’t move.

8 -- Have side marker lights available for all markets, not just North America. That nose is l-o-n-g.

9 -- You really shoulda had a built in wind deflector. TT owners are making me choke on my laugh.

10 -- Make the glovebox lock with the central locking. Then the key can double lock it for valet parking.

12 -- Instead of having to hold a button for 4 or 5 seconds, a separate button on the side of the remote would be a better panic button. I know Germans are meant to be cool but for us Brits 5 seconds is a long time in a panic situation and a popped trunk lid never scared off anyone.

13 -- Everything is controlled by this microprocessor and that firmware nowadays so could the gearshift paddles not be configurable so that right is up and left is down - maybe in the iDrive settings menus - if that’s what the driver prefers? I'm all for BMW beating their own path but we also have an Audi (excuse my language) with S-tronic in the family and it gets confusing. Even you at BMW use the right for up left for down elsewhere in your range so what gives?

14 -- Now . . . . BMW!! Someone else needs to be shot. Everything used to be straightforward until someone thought calling a 2.5 litre 323i would be a fun idea. Now 316 means 1.8 or 1.6 sometimes, 318 means 2 litre, 535 means 3 litre but so does 530, 745 means 5 litre, 760 means 5.5 litre. I'm guessing you blew him away and not a moment too soon but the damage is done. So-called motoring journalists all over the world have been calling engine sizes wrong for years. But now your new guy has come up with sDrive35i and xDrive20d. Tell him to stop this childish practice and, most of all, stop him sticking his tacky badges on the side of our cars. It smacks of a 1970s Japanese SuperLuxeHighLineJetGlide XL or a vehicle from one of Thunderbird 2’s pods. I can hear Virgil Tracy saying “ We’re gonna need sDrive35i Dad” as I type. I wish I’d taken up the delete option but after the paint episode I couldn’t face paying for something else I wasn’t getting!

Lastly, and this is for nearly all manufacturers. Why do your Nav systems always want to know the town or city first? I always know the street but only sometimes know the town in which the Nav database lists it. I recently had to find a street which could have reasonably been listed in London, Norwood, Thornton Heath or Croydon; even those who live there aren't sure. Had I not been familiar with the area, I couldn’t have known these options.

Sorry it turned into a rant and don't listen to those who are saying you've gone all soft with the z4. Anyway, I'm sure you have something in the pipeline for them. z2 anyone?
I agree strongly with 3, 7, and 11.
How can a car that associates with "performance" in any way, not have better brakes than these(even as an option)? It's borderline embarrassing IMHO.
I've already spouted off about the roof only working while stopped, so I'll spare my fellow car lovers.
The big one for me is the foglights. What a crime that this car doesn't offer them. I drive a mix of small town and rural roads and(for me) they are vital. Please BMW, make them an option soon.

Argent60
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Yeah WTF my cheapo 135i has better brakes than the performance-focused sports car that is the new Z4!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
MilitaryE89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, 2009 sDrive30i

wow...you've been stewing over this for awhile haven't you lol
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

So what about the vague/unstable center position of the steering. This feels in particular disturbing on highways. Sport+ mode improves it a lot. BMW should this fix this too.

What I also would like to see beside the normal, sport and sport+ mode is one or two user modes were you can configure your own preset(s). For instance the soft suspension mode combined with the throttle mapping of the sport mode, stability control full engaged and the stiff sport+ steering mode. (BMW, when can I get my software update )
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
great post!

i agree with mostly all that you have said, can't agree more with brakes! and LED coronas!

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)

"good underwear..." HA!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

yes, but do you like the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
T330
T
Rep
Drives: X5

#3:

the front bmw performance brakes fit

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showpost...03&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Quote:

Bump for: 3, 5, 7, 9-12
And DOUBLE bump for: 6 & 13

I mean 6 is a real oversight and don't even get me started on the number of times I've changed up via the left paddle instead of changing down!!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T330 View Post
#3:

the front bmw performance brakes fit

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showpost...03&postcount=1
Thank you. I was sure they would but trying to get my dealer to admit it is like talking to O J Simpson about gloves.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
So what about the vague/unstable center position of the steering. This feels in particular disturbing on highways. Sport+ mode improves it a lot. BMW should this fix this too.

What I also would like to see beside the normal, sport and sport+ mode is one or two user modes were you can configure your own preset(s). For instance the soft suspension mode combined with the throttle mapping of the sport mode, stability control full engaged and the stiff sport+ steering mode. (BMW, when can I get my software update )
You mean like Audi's Drive Select mode. I have this on a Q5 which is frankly a waste of a good idea. It would be nice to be able to swap the systems over.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 04:21 AM   #13
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
You mean like Audi's Drive Select mode. I have this on a Q5 which is frankly a waste of a good idea. It would be nice to be able to swap the systems over.
I'm not sure but the current BMW M models do also have a more flexible setup of system settings.

EdP
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
I'm not sure but the current BMW M models do also have a more flexible setup of system settings.

EdP
In a way. There are individual settings for everything and you can program the "M" button (in iDrive) for any setting you like but there are only 2 choices, softest defaults, or your M settings.

I do like 3 modes in the Z4 but do wish they could be tailored.

I would like to see an adjustable exhaust. Sometimes I want to quietly cruise. Other times I do want to hear it when having fun.

I also agree with the brakes. There should be an option at least for a brake upgrade.
Appreciate 0