New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #89
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merefield View Post
For me the biggest question here is how will this 4 cyl Z4 be distinguished from the 4 cyl Z2 we are expecting?? I might prefer the smaller, lighter Z2 as a better match for the engine ...
They will be distinguished the same way the 4 cylinder 1, 3, and 5 series will be distinguished, and the same way the 4 cylinder X1, X3, and, in some markets, X5 will be distinguished. That is, by size and features rather than by power figures. Obviously the lighter vehicles will accelerate better than the heavier ones, so indeed the I4 powered Z2 should be a more fun drive than the I4 powered Z4. Just keep in mind that it won't have the folding hard top, it will obviously not have as much storage space, and there will no doubt be other feature differences as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #90
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

bottom line, it is sad that the straight six is dying at BMW for whatever reason. this is part of their core identity - it seems to me that the company is truly losing its way with this motor change as it will infect all of the BMW lines, but maybe I am just nuts
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #91
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
bottom line, it is sad that the straight six is dying at BMW for whatever reason. this is part of their core identity - it seems to me that the company is truly losing its way with this motor change as it will infect all of the BMW lines, but maybe I am just nuts
The I6 is not dying at all. It is merely the non-turbo charged I6 that is being phased out. The gasonline and diesel turbo-charged inline sixes (like those found in your vehicles) will continue to be available, and in fact will still comprise a large volume of all BMW sales.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #92
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The I6 is not dying at all. It is merely the non-turbo charged I6 that is being phased out. The gasonline and diesel turbo-charged inline sixes (like those found in your vehicles) will continue to be available, and in fact will still comprise a large volume of all BMW sales.
True for the next 5 - 10 years, but after this period VintageBMW could be right.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #93
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
True for the next 5 - 10 years, but after this period VintageBMW could be right.
Well sure, eventually all cars will likely be electric drive with some having small range extending internal combustion engines, typically with 4 cylinders or less. I think that's more than five to ten years off though. In the meantime there's still V8, V10 (though no V10 from BMW anymore), and V12 out there so the I6 is very safe for the forseeable furture.

Unless you just meant BMW switching from an I6 to a V6. That could happen at some point too, but so far there's no evidence of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #94
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I still feel bad about that, since the normally aspirated inline six is a joy to behold, and has many compelling characteristics.

The way BMW is heading, which seems to be driven by fuel economy, is to let turbo I6 engines take over for NA V8s, and let turbo I4 engines take over for the NA I6. Obviously, one can find many reasons that the NA V8 and I6 engines might be preferable (I sure can in the I6 versus I4 case). It's little consolation that there's still a turbo I6 when the real problem is that a turbo I4 is going to eat the NA I6's lunch.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #95
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

mkoesel,

you are right and thanks for your clarification. I do love the motors in my X5 and Z4 - both strong and efficient. the diesel is probably the most impressive motor BMW makes and I would consider buying all future BMWs with diesel motors if we had more options here in the US. however, I lament not having the N/A I6 at 255hp in my wife's Z4. Yes, the modified Z4 we have will out run almost anything and easily keep up with more expensive and powerful cars, but it does lack the instant, buttery power of the N/A I6. living with the Z now for a year and a half tells me we probably should have bought a loaded out 30i Z4 with MT. in the end, not that big of a deal as things in life are always changing and the 35i is awesome if it proves to be reliable, BUT DO WE HAVE TO TURBO EVERY DARN MOTOR BMW MAKES? let Ford do that

excuse me, but putting tubochargers on every car in the world will not save the earth from the existing 7 billion humans and our wicked consuming ways. it will however, depress me as we continue to 8 billion humans over the next 10-15 years or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #96
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I agree. No matter how good the I4 turbo could be, it won't be the engine the I6 is in terms of smoothness, throttle response, driveability, sound, etc.
I have owned plenty of forced induction motors (I-4 turbo, S/C V6, V6 TT, now the I6 TT, and V8 TT) but the normally aspirated have their place too.

I also don't have a problem with BMW offering more economical choices, but for those that want the big normally aspirated V8s, V10s, etc, they should still be offered. Although I suspect that they'll become more and more expensive to purchase, keep fueled, etc. Already, I have felt that I couldn't justify the M versions of the 550i, and X5 purchases, yet I did choose the next best model.
Appreciate 0