New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #67
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinaustin View Post
1) 3.0 automatic
2) the hotter the weather (90's or higher), the greater the likelyhood
3) sport mode increases your odds as well

happens when you slow down to a near stop. so coming to stop sign/light, turning into someplace, traffic on the highway slows way down in front of you, etc.

when i duplicated the issue with the shop foreman, we were slowly approaching a string of cars at the light when it died.
I have a 30i auto. The one time it happened to me it was a hot day and I am certain (99%) that I was in sports mode. I also had the transmission in manual (I remember as I had to move back and up to 'P' to start the car).

I was coming to a slow stop at lights.

It hasn't been very warm here in the the UK (London) but the one time it did happen it was 27C so from all the other posts it would indeed seem that ambient temp is a major factor in the issue.

So based on this, what effect does a warm/hot day have on an normally aspirated engine? Is the fuel mixture changed compared to a cold day?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #68
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 z4 3.0 crimson red

just as an fyi, i checked the error codes with a bavtech tool. cleared all the codes. ran the car for 2 days and duplicated the issue. re-checked the error codes and there was 1 present it was E704 and is in the heating and air conditioner control unit. basically a can bus error (could be a bad cable, etc). A/C compressors disengage (when told to) when the rpm drops below a set amount to prevent the engine from stalling...

Unfortunately, i did communicate with a bmw master technician about this. he stated that all bmw's have this particular error code (in the heating and a/c section) stored pretty much all the time. therefore, this particular error is, in general, ignored by techs 98% of the time. could we be the 2% case?

anyway the car is going into the shop today and i will raise this issue directly with the shop foreman. perhaps the air temperature being hot really means your running your a/c unit and it isn't disengaging when slowing (and your rpms drop below 500) causing an engine stall. or perhaps it isn't told by the computer to disengage quick enough, etc, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #69
TPhan
Rep
Drives: Z4

I just wanted to say that this also happened to me.

09' 30i in sport mode at a stop light on a hot day (lower 90's)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #70
kojack
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4sDrive30i

Same

This has been happening since the second day I got the car. It has been a month and a half, and since it has only been getting hotter in south Florida, maybe this has exacerbated the problem.

I took the car in to the dealership today to see if they can diagnose an issue with the car. If I get any news tomorrow I will be sure to get specifics and post back for everyone.

The fact that this is an issue is very troubling. This is not a simple matter of a malfunctioning break light or something. It seems like everyone on this forum has been very fortunate, but this presents a very serious safety concern.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #71
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Looks like the common denominator is 3.0i with automatics. The info on the a/c fault code should help the dealer(s) zero in on the problem. Might be something as simple as a software re-flash. If the idle circuit is not kicking the rpm's up when the a/c compressor clutch engages it could easily stall the motor.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #72
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
A report came out here on the weekend saying that shutting off your car engine when stopped in traffic for as little as 4 seconds will gve you a fuel saving.

Perhaps this is just BMW Efficient Dynamics?

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #73
lfvb007
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.0

Z4 Stalls

Quote:
1) 3.0 automatic
2) the hotter the weather (90's or higher), the greater the likelyhood
3) sport mode increases your odds as well

happens when you slow down to a near stop. so coming to stop sign/light, turning into someplace, traffic on the highway slows way down in front of you, etc.

when i duplicated the issue with the shop foreman, we were slowly approaching a string of cars at the light when it died.
Completely agree with Mike. This year in Florida, the winter was very cold (not if you lived in Ithaca), but now it happens at least once a day with me, even in normal modes. It is related to temperature and humidity. South BMW in Miami was not able to diagnose anything back in December. Now I will take it to the 7k tuneup and see what they say. When I first took the car, the moron (advisor) asked me to just tow the car, even though I could start it normally. Who would do that?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #74
kojack
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfvb007 View Post
Completely agree with Mike. This year in Florida, the winter was very cold (not if you lived in Ithaca), but now it happens at least once a day with me, even in normal modes. It is related to temperature and humidity. South BMW in Miami was not able to diagnose anything back in December. Now I will take it to the 7k tuneup and see what they say. When I first took the car, the moron (advisor) asked me to just tow the car, even though I could start it normally. Who would do that?
I was at south today. Ill let you know what they tell me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #75
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

update: bmw just called. they said there was a software fix for the stalling issue. the dealer is updating all the modules in the car though, so it may not be done today. when i get the car, i will try and verify if it is really fixed or not. i will also try and get you version information.

now my rant...(assuming the software update fixes the issue)...there are no bmw tsb's on this issue and the bmw mechanics in their weekly/monthly update from bmw have not been informed of any stalling issues. it seems that by only entering a formal puma ticket does bmw actually fess up to this issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #76
Enkur
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Ok I have an appointment with the BMW of Austin for Monday to update the software in my car. The advisor said that the software just came out and it should resolve the stalling issue.
      06-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #77
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
update: bmw just called. they said there was a software fix for the stalling issue. the dealer is updating all the modules in the car though, so it may not be done today. when i get the car, i will try and verify if it is really fixed or not. i will also try and get you version information.

now my rant...(assuming the software update fixes the issue)...there are no bmw tsb's on this issue and the bmw mechanics in their weekly/monthly update from bmw have not been informed of any stalling issues. it seems that by only entering a formal puma ticket does bmw actually fess up to this issue.
Fingers crossed the software cures the problem. BMW is not unique in the way problems are reported. Even when there is an information trail on the problem it does not automatically generate a TSB. Once a TSB is released it is up to the individual dealerships to stay up on all of the bulletins. Also TSB's are not an automatic fix when released. The best option in the case of TSB's is to print a copy and take it to the service department yourself. We have fought the same issue with Mercedes, Lexus, Toyota, Ford, and Mini. The only company that notified me of TSB's to date is Subaru.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #78
coetzejg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 3.0 M Black/red

I'd be very interested to get feedback on this software upgrade also...and if it solve your problems. I've got the 3.0 Manual. Have had many AC problems during our hot summer months Dec - March past, being winter down under here now.
As discussed elsewhere on this forum, the AC was causing a whinning noise between 4.5 - 5.5 thousand revs. It also felt like there was a lot of resistance in the engine when this whinning noise happened. It also only happened when the outside temp was higher the say 28 degrees Celsius. This resistance issue with the AC compressor on the V-belt could easilly cause an automatic gearbox to stall should the revs drop low enough.
BMW replaced the AC compressor twice on the car now, and a PUMA ticket was also logged for it with the whinning noise recording sent off to BMW. None of this solved the issue to date, and with it being winter here now, the issue is not reoccuring.
Some I'm almost sure this issue on the 3.0 with the engine stalling and AC whinning is all related.

Please give us feedback on if the software update helped you guys...while you can reproduce this now in your hotter weather.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #79
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i should know by monday if it is fixed or not. it doesn't really get driven much during the work week.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #80
laphil
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

I'm eager to hear about the results. Any official TSB reference ID etc., would help!
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #81
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I have no problems with my 2009.

You think the boys in Germany are slackening off since taking the car back for production to Germany? If so someone should go over there and kick some bud

Any ideas

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #82
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
I just got a call from my service advisor letting me know that they DO HAVE A FIX for the stalling issue. As indicated in previous posts it is a software update. Have to shcedule getting it now... Appears a new tech bulletin is being developed.

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #83
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well now it is becoming a disaster...they could not re-program the car. bmw says the dme control module is faulty. they did not authorize a new part instead they had the circuit board overnighted to a repair facility.....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #84
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
Typical BMW !! I am taking mine in on the 30th for the re-program to fix the stalling issue. I am never really sure with them if the 'cure is better then the disease' or not !! Seems like every time I get something fixed they break something else - and never have the parts on hand to repair it. Like your current situation...

Best of luck, will let you know how I make out next week....

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #85
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
well now it is becoming a disaster...they could not re-program the car. bmw says the dme control module is faulty. they did not authorize a new part instead they had the circuit board overnighted to a repair facility.....
This is the lame and frustrating PUMA system at work again. I have written on this issue based on my personal and frustrating experience - here is the summary: BMW NA does not let the dealer fix it "right" the first time and instead only authorizes a series of the cheapest fixes first with the hope one of their prayers will work and save warranty cost. This leads to very dissatisfied and frustrated owners of premium cars. STUPID long-term management philosophy.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #86
kojack
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just called South BMW. The software fix was installed today but it broke the radio. It should be ready by tomorrow. I will update further tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #87
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
I'm startign to see some of the dissadvantages of the cheap prices you pay over in NA for luxury cars...
Cost cutting when servicing a BMW? Ouch!

Over here, we may have to pay an arm and a leg to buy the car, but if anything goes wrong we get given a loan car, the dealer has to keep stock of parts for 4 years after each model comes out, and the dealers compete with each other trying to make your buying and servicing / repair experiences more luxurious than each other.
Everythign from cafe meals and meeting rooms for work, to chaffuer services, depending on who you buy from and how which model you buy.
Lexus usually sets the bar, and BM & MErc keep up, then Toyota and Mazda (the big volume sellers) try to match it.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #88
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

my fear is nothing was wrong with the actual hw just that the person programming the car didn't know how to. so it gets sent to get fixed, the people fixing it says nothing wrong, gets sent back to dealer who still doesn't know how to program it, etc, etc, etc.
Appreciate 0