New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #23
bmwmick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 Z3,'11 Z4 35i,'90 C4 Vette

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboworld View Post
I have found a Z4 35i with all of the options that I was looking for except iDrive and I want to know if that should be a reason not to buy.
lambo,
i-drive would be a deal-breaker for me if the car DID have it. We ordered everything we actually wanted on our 35i and i-drive was NOT one of them. I would much rather use my Garmin Zumo than fight with the bmw offering and it's poor coverage. My kid has it on his 335i and it's pretty worthless for precise street directions in an unfamiliar area. The major roads are there but not the small roads.

Mick
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Just goes to show doesn't it .. I've never had an issue and I love it!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmick View Post
lambo,
i-drive would be a deal-breaker for me if the car DID have it. We ordered everything we actually wanted on our 35i and i-drive was NOT one of them. I would much rather use my Garmin Zumo than fight with the bmw offering and it's poor coverage. My kid has it on his 335i and it's pretty worthless for precise street directions in an unfamiliar area. The major roads are there but not the small roads.

Mick
LOL, that's ironic but I tend to agree. If my car had it, I would be 'forced' to use the nav, but like we all know, the inhouse navs are virtually inferior to aftermkt ones. It's annoying. I'd rather have the 'stick-on' look instead of a 'flush' system. I don't get some ppl that insist on a 'nice' 'complete' system but have to settle for an inferior product. I don't care about that at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #26
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
LOL, that's ironic but I tend to agree. If my car had it, I would be 'forced' to use the nav, but like we all know, the inhouse navs are virtually inferior to aftermkt ones. It's annoying. I'd rather have the 'stick-on' look instead of a 'flush' system. I don't get some ppl that insist on a 'nice' 'complete' system but have to settle for an inferior product. I don't care about that at all.
iDrive is a bit more than just the nav ...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #27
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
iDrive is a bit more than just the nav ...
I realize that, but it's an integrated unit and the major diff between that and the reg sys is the nav. Actually, what does idrive have that the reg sys doesn't have?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #28
stickshifter69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboworld View Post
I have found a Z4 35i with all of the options that I was looking for except iDrive and I want to know if that should be a reason not to buy.
I say no. iDrive is just a distraction! Roadsters are meant to be driven, not for playing with a rotational mouse.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 02:51 AM   #29
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshifter69 View Post
I say no. iDrive is just a distraction! Roadsters are meant to be driven, not for playing with a rotational mouse.
depends where you life and what you are using it for. Living in a foreign country where all the signs are in a different language. 3 different languages for that matter within a 150 mile radius, I wouldn't leave home without it. Its situational.

If you have lived in your home town your entire life and know the streets by heart then yes. If you live in a city foreign to you then the value is most definitely worth it.

Last edited by VailM3; 02-20-2013 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #30
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshifter69 View Post
+1

It also destroys the flow of the Dashboard, its ugly IMO.

And for navigation I use a portable one.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #31
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Troll, troll ...

I think we have two schools around here, mainly:
Those who have it and like/need it
and Those who don't have it and thus don't need it

Some exceptions remain, like: 'I had it in another car and didn't need it in this one'.

From my stand point, on a day to day basis, I like to:
- browse my music collection/albums (more than 100 songs for now) to choose the right music.
- or use the fast and good nav (yes it is! and as VailM3 said, living around 4 different countries over here, it is working very well and it is quick to get GPS signal due to good antenna)..
- I also like to import music
- etc..

You need to try it and make your own opinion, if you need it or not considering your use.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #32
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchweiZ4 View Post
and Those who don't have it and thus don't need it
That seems to sum it up pretty nicely
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #33
Silverback24
Zed 4
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 Z4 s35i

iDrive is a must. It enhances an already awesome experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #34
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I realize that, but it's an integrated unit and the major diff between that and the reg sys is the nav. Actually, what does idrive have that the reg sys doesn't have?
Hard drive for music, visual PDC, radio favorites, phone book, ... Just is a very nice interface for music/radio and some of the other tech gadgets. If you have multiple drivers and / or multiple phones it is easier to administer all that and update the phone software (drivers?) yourself when you get a new phone. I am frankly not sure what exactly of the above you could do without iDrive...

I use iDrive a lot for things other than navigation.

I do realize that others may not care about these things; just saying that iDrive is more than just a navigation system.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #35
Charlbury
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 2.3i M Sport

iDrive is not essential, but, it makes a hell of a difference to how impressive your car is to any passenger, and, it's a great option for browsing music, linking to the phone and all the other services that it offers. For me, it was a must have along with Parking Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #36
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Hard drive for music, visual PDC, radio favorites, phone book, ... Just is a very nice interface for music/radio and some of the other tech gadgets. If you have multiple drivers and / or multiple phones it is easier to administer all that and update the phone software (drivers?) yourself when you get a new phone. I am frankly not sure what exactly of the above you could do without iDrive...

I use iDrive a lot for things other than navigation.

I do realize that others may not care about these things; just saying that iDrive is more than just a navigation system.
So idrive has the harddrive and visual PDC, all of the other features can be done w/o it. I guess if one relies upon PDC, then the visual is a good feature (but there's no backup cam, just graphics?); harddrive is if you must have your whole music library w/ you, but any decent ipod should already store a lot already.

Again, I realize that idrive is not just a nav, my sole pt is that the nav is very lacking and sub-std for the price yet way more costly to any half-decent aftermkt GPS, so that would negate my decision to get it because that is the main feature in the integrated sys of idrive.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #37
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Quote:
So idrive has the harddrive and visual PDC, all of the other features can be done w/o it. I guess if one relies upon PDC, then the visual is a good feature (but there's no backup cam, just graphics?); harddrive is if you must have your whole music library w/ you, but any decent ipod should already store a lot already.

Again, I realize that idrive is not just a nav, my sole pt is that the nav is very lacking and sub-std for the price yet way more costly to any half-decent aftermkt GPS, so that would negate my decision to get it because that is the main feature in the integrated sys of idrive.
The nav is expensive and the map updates even more outrageously priced. Yet, somehow I would not buy my car without it. Call me a sucker but the look and feel of the car is so different with it. And even if I don't use the navigation function that often, I do use the map a lot and I like not to have to hold my phone in my hand or having an extra ugly thing hanging off of my windshield.
I don't think the Nav is lacking. It works very well and is equivalent to any aftermarket unit. (once you have the maps updated that is). I am actually finding it easier to use than some of the ones I tested. It has the advantage of being integrated so it can estimate where you are even when you lose the satellite signal etc...
When you look at the added value it ads to resale, I think it is worth it.
      02-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #38
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
The nav is expensive and the map updates even more outrageously priced. Yet, somehow I would not buy my car without it. Call me a sucker but the look and feel of the car is so different with it. And even if I don't use the navigation function that often, I do use the map a lot and I like not to have to hold my phone in my hand or having an extra ugly thing hanging off of my windshield.
I don't think the Nav is lacking. It works very well and is equivalent to any aftermarket unit. (once you have the maps updated that is). I am actually finding it easier to use than some of the ones I tested. It has the advantage of being integrated so it can estimate where you are even when you lose the satellite signal etc...
When you look at the added value it ads to resale, I think it is worth it.
As others w/ the nav have attested to, it *is* severely lacking. My <$100 TomTom has free lifetime map updates *and* traffic...does idrive even have traffic? There are constant other updates besides the periodic major map updates. It is far superior to the idrive's and it isn't even anywhere near top-of-the-line for aftermkt GPSs.

Non-idrive owners also can use the phone handsfree.

I don't care about resale value because I don't care about the next owner and plan on owning this car for most of its life if not all. I just don't like getting ripped off w/ an inferior product for a 'superior' price.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #39
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As others w/ the nav have attested to, it *is* severely lacking. My <$100 TomTom has free lifetime map updates *and* traffic...does idrive even have traffic? There are constant other updates besides the periodic major map updates. It is far superior to the idrive's and it isn't even anywhere near top-of-the-line for aftermkt GPSs.

Non-idrive owners also can use the phone handsfree.

I don't care about resale value because I don't care about the next owner and plan on owning this car for most of its life if not all. I just don't like getting ripped off w/ an inferior product for a 'superior' price.
idrive has free traffic info and is actually pretty good. I had an Audi Q5 on which you have to pay a monthly fee to get traffic info on the MMI and got me really pissed. I have a $100 Tomtom too and no it is not nearly as good as the idrive. It takes a long time to boot. It can take a little while to get a signal. It gets lost when I go underground or in a covered parking lot. It needs to be powered most of the time and more and more as the battery degrades. The maps are ugly. It hangs on my dashboard/window with wires all over. I did not get a Z4 to cheap out on things like this but again the only problem is indeed the map updates which have no business being as expensive as they are. You obviously have not tested the idrive nav...

PS: FYI I even had traffic on the onboard nav of my 2002 e46...
      02-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #40
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Good thing you didn't get it then

Doesn't mean others don't see the value in it.

I mean.. we all own the 10th worst selling vehicle in the US so we are good at seeing value in a place many others don't
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #41
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
idrive has free traffic info and is actually pretty good. I had an Audi Q5 on which you have to pay a monthly fee to get traffic info on the MMI and got me really pissed. I have a $100 Tomtom too and no it is not nearly as good as the idrive. It takes a long time to boot. It can take a little while to get a signal. It gets lost when I go underground or in a covered parking lot. It needs to be powered most of the time and more and more as the battery degrades. The maps are ugly. It hangs on my dashboard/window with wires all over. I did not get a Z4 to cheap out on things like this but again the only problem is indeed the map updates which have no business being as expensive as they are. You obviously have not tested the idrive nav...

PS: FYI I even had traffic on the onboard nav of my 2002 e46...
Given the price of the idrive, it's pretty much a ripoff. ...and, no, I'm not "cheap(ing) out" because I'm pretty sure our cars in Canada are about/at least 15% more expensive vs the US, despite virtual CAD/USD parity. Obviously, I can afford to get it but intentionally chose not to. Again, I just don't like to pay for an inferior product (esp looking at what you get for what you pay). I'm quite sure that the maps are more accurate on the TomTom/other aftermkt (esp if you pay the same price as the idrive's - obviously doubtful since don't think that there are any w/ crazy 4 figures). Why would you rely on the TomTom's battery when it can easily plug into the cig lighter slot? I don't have wires 'flying' all over the place, it's in an ideal location and the wires are tucked into the console. In fact, when using the idrive, the compartment is forced to be open and that blocks part of the driver's view (much wider than my GPS). All the points you raised aren't even about what matters/the crucials: are the map/traffic ftns better in the idrive? I really doubt it.

I prefer function over form. Defend your purchase because you prefer form over function, but don't say that it's better and makes more sense to purchase vs virtually any decent aftermkt GPS out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Good thing you didn't get it then

Doesn't mean others don't see the value in it.

I mean.. we all own the 10th worst selling vehicle in the US so we are good at seeing value in a place many others don't
Agreed LOL.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #42
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep

Garage List
Alright trying not to rathole here.

Tranquility,
The point being, you have not tested idrive. I have tested both the Tomtom and Garmin.
The idrive is not what you are describing to be. It is much better looking, functions perfectly fine and yes there are secondary things you can do with a aftermarket unit which are much cheaper. Nobody argues with that. But there are also things the idrive can do that the aftermarket ones cannot. The whole integration: not having to extend my arms over the dashboard to input an address, or removing the unit, thinking about recharging it etc... these are all functions: Having voice command, not being lost on the map when satellite signal is lost, having the voice direction coming from the car speakers and being able to command it at the wheel etc... In that respect whether it is worth the money depends on how much you value all these added functions. But saying that the nav is lacking or that it does not work or is not accurate etc... is just wrong. It is a perfectly fine unit which lacks nothing important the aftermarket units have except for the map update.
The location of the nav screen does not obstruct road vision at all by the way. At least not the way I am seating in my car. It is not even in the line of sight and you can close the screen when you don't use it.

I am not trying to justify my purchase, I would just not buy a car without the idrive. What I am saying is, try it before hating it which is what you seem to be doing. Then you can judge whether it is worth it.
      02-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #43
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think that it is worth it. Our cars in Canada are significantly more $$$ vs those in the US so it is not a price-sensitive issue. I absolutely HATE buying an overly expensive product (virtually any in-house gps system) when any aftermkt gps is far superior, more upgradable and cheaper. I don't care about the 'suction-cup' look, I just don't like getting ripped off.
I agree with what he ^^^ said. I had 2 Z4's both had no iDrive. I used my TomTom for the longer trips worked like a charm. I now have mDrive and of course Navi on my M3 hardly ever use it. It is a $2.5K dollar expense one can do with out.

Bottom line, Z4 is fun with or without iDrive

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #44
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Alright trying not to rathole here.

Tranquility,
The point being, you have not tested idrive. I have tested both the Tomtom and Garmin.
The idrive is not what you are describing to be. It is much better looking, functions perfectly fine and yes there are secondary things you can do with a aftermarket unit which are much cheaper. Nobody argues with that. But there are also things the idrive can do that the aftermarket ones cannot. The whole integration: not having to extend my arms over the dashboard to input an address, or removing the unit, thinking about recharging it etc... these are all functions: Having voice command, not being lost on the map when satellite signal is lost, having the voice direction coming from the car speakers and being able to command it at the wheel etc... In that respect whether it is worth the money depends on how much you value all these added functions. But saying that the nav is lacking or that it does not work or is not accurate etc... is just wrong. It is a perfectly fine unit which lacks nothing important the aftermarket units have except for the map update.
The location of the nav screen does not obstruct road vision at all by the way. At least not the way I am seating in my car. It is not even in the line of sight and you can close the screen when you don't use it.

I am not trying to justify my purchase, I would just not buy a car without the idrive. What I am saying is, try it before hating it which is what you seem to be doing. Then you can judge whether it is worth it.
Sure, those are all convenience features but like the other guy w/ idrive said, they don't have all the streets covered. Btw, how much is a map update? TomTom major updates are at least 4 times a yr, in addition to frequent periodic ones updated by users through their ingenious mapshare sys. It can't be beat and best of all, they are all for free. Point is, you have to constantly pay through the nose for updates lest your GPS becomes sorta obsolete, on top of high entry price: I wonder how much the total price for the idrive+all the map updates will be for the whole life of the car, not to mention when GPS tech further advances, ppl w/ it will be stuck whereas I can simply chunk away my <$100 TomTom for a better model (don't see that for a while since it's such a dependable unit).

Well, to each their own.
Appreciate 0