New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Alexa Compatible Devices.

So I am looking to upgrade my thermostat and sprinkler timer to wifi/Alexa Compatible devices. I am pretty impressed with the Ecobee3 for the thermostat and possibly the Blossom 8 Smart Watering Controller for the sprinkler system. Anyone have any experience with these or have better options?

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I'm happy with my Nest thermostats with Alexa. I also have a Harmony remote for my AV system and that works flawlessly with Alexa.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I'm happy with my Nest thermostats with Alexa. I also have a Harmony remote for my AV system and that works flawlessly with Alexa.
I was looking at Nest too. One thing about Ecobee3 is that it comes with and additional sensor that you can place on another floor. For example I have one zone for heating and AC and upstairs can vary greatly from downstairs. This helps to average out the two floors. Does Nest have that feature?

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

No thanks. I don't want Google or Amazon harvesting data about my daily life more than what they already get when I'm online.

I hate that these companies are using "cloud" services as a guise to make things simple for us. Options are getting less and less for a home automation product that doesn't depend on some stupid cloud service. I can set up an autonomous system fine and get my network to allow external connections without the help of these companies sticking their noses into my personal life.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
So I am looking to upgrade my thermostat and sprinkler timer to wifi/Alexa Compatible devices. I am pretty impressed with the Ecobee3 for the thermostat and possibly the Blossom 8 Smart Watering Controller for the sprinkler system. Anyone have any experience with these or have better options?
Have Honeywell Lyric thermostats and Harmony for TV etc. and Hue for lights - all work great with Alexa.
      04-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
porshah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, R8, Huracan - All topdown

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Have the same setup, and also have Insteon lighting through out the house that can be controlled with Alexa.

I do however like the idea of additional sensors to average out the temperature. Don't believe that is an option with Nest.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I have the ecobee and it works fine with Alexa. Although honestly since I have it programmed I rarely change it. I also have a rain machine for my sprinklers which I have no idea if it works with alexa as I've never tried. Another set it and forget it kinda thing. However since I have one of those systems where all the zones are in one and have to be triggered in sequence the rain machine is kinda over kill. I do however like not having to go out to the side of the house to mess with it when I do want to.

I also have hue and GE smart bulbs. Homedepot was liquidating those GE bulbs at some point and they were like under $10 so I bought a bunch of them. I also use alexa with my harmony remote.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 03:10 AM   #8
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Why dont ya call directly the NSA for adjusting your settings?
The very last thing I would do is to place a master spy from Amazon into my home...

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #9
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by porshah View Post
Have the same setup, and also have Insteon lighting through out the house that can be controlled with Alexa.

I do however like the idea of additional sensors to average out the temperature. Don't believe that is an option with Nest.
You can add sensors to Nest but they would be third party. I'm planning to do that any day now.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
porshah197.00
      04-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I have the ecobee and it works fine with Alexa. Although honestly since I have it programmed I rarely change it. I also have a rain machine for my sprinklers which I have no idea if it works with alexa as I've never tried. Another set it and forget it kinda thing. However since I have one of those systems where all the zones are in one and have to be triggered in sequence the rain machine is kinda over kill. I do however like not having to go out to the side of the house to mess with it when I do want to.

I also have hue and GE smart bulbs. Homedepot was liquidating those GE bulbs at some point and they were like under $10 so I bought a bunch of them. I also use alexa with my harmony remote.

Did you set up the secondary sensor? I was wondering because my feeling is that it would just make the bottom floor colder in order to make the top floor colder as well. It might make it to cold downstairs.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #11
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Did you set up the secondary sensor? I was wondering because my feeling is that it would just make the bottom floor colder in order to make the top floor colder as well. It might make it to cold downstairs.
Yes I actually have 3 sensors. You can tell it which sensor to use during certain parts of the schedule. So for example my office gets very hot during the day because it has windows. So during the day when I'm working I set it to use that sensor. Yes the rest of the house is colder than my office, but I don't care because I'm in the office during the day 90% of the time. At night I have it go off the living room sensor since that is usually where we are and at bed time it goes off the bedroom sensor to make sure its nice and cold. This works for us especially since our actual thermostat is in a hallway not around any of the areas we usually hang out in so going off that temp is pointless.

Also the sensors have a motion sensors so you could tell it to just automatically choose the sensor based on motion, but if you have people on both floors then I'm not really sure what it will do.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #12
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
I had Nest for years and then upgraded to Ecobee when I moved. I like it better. I like the additional sensor and the interface is much better. Can't go wrong with either one though as they both work well with Alexa.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #13
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Thanks for the info. I am talking to Ecobee now to confirm that my existing system is compatible. So far my number one choice is Ecobee.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

I have a trane 3 zone heat pump system in my current home. It is twice as large as my former home but my utility costs remain unchanged. Likely due to new insulating standards and the three zone system.
      04-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #15
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

So I decided to go with the Ecobee3 unit. I have to run a new wire from the unit to my HVAC but that is easy. I also went with the Blossom 8 for the sprinkler system. It is a pretty impressive unit. Not many reviews but almost all of them were very positive. It uses an algorithm based on a multitude of factors. It is linked to the national weather service so it knows if it is raining in your area. Plus you can input all sorts of data about your yard and what you are watering. The grade of the property, the types of sprinkler heads you use in each zone. It seems like the initial set up requires some time but once that is complete it sort of takes over.

Appreciate 0