New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Galaxy S8/S8+ VS. Note 8

Anyone planning on picking either of these up? I'm coming from a S7 Edge and will definitely take a hard look at the S8+ since I missed out on the Note 7. BUT, I may wait and see what the Note 8 brings.

Thoughts now that the Note8 has been revealed?

Last edited by mirob; 08-24-2017 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Watched this morning. Looks cool! Probably will wait for next iPhone though.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Looks cool.

Some of the features have been on iOS for a while. Others are pretty neat.
That said, Android is still a no go, for me at least.

Still, nice to see some innovation from competition. Hopefully this puts a little more pressure on Apple and the iPhone 8.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Ive been holding off on a new phone since I got my s6 edge plus the day it came out . i wasnt about to switch to the s7 , waiting for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
Looks cool.

Still, nice to see some innovation from competition. Hopefully this puts a little more pressure on Apple and the iPhone 8.
they both always have similarities and copy each other if you want to put it that way . its just how the world works .
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Perfect timing!

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-st...axy-s8-launch/
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

I've always had Samsung phones, but honestly once this one dies, may go to the dark side for the next iPhone...., MAYBE.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
I've always had Samsung phones, but honestly once this one dies, may go to the dark side for the next iPhone...., MAYBE.
Don't bother, both phones are trash.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #8
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Don't bother, both phones are trash.
So Nokia is next on the list...., got it!
Appreciate 3
fecurtis3262.00
Aatish3458.00
      03-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #9
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
Pixel
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

I have the s7 edge. The contrast is already fubard.

so I may wait.
      03-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Used s4 s5 and now s7, will probably get the s8 when I am due for an upgrade, I absolutely hate apple
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 03:08 PM   #12
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
Pixel
Is it any good?

I thought about making the jump from my 7+ but it's so annoying to get out of Apple's ecosystem once you've been there for so long so I stick with Apple even though I fucking hate them.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #13
cjdzombie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive, M Sport

I'm debating on the S8 Edge and Pixel 2. I'll have to weigh the features of the 2. The Current Pixel doesn't have wireless charging which is a feature I like on my S6 Edge. One big let down for me was Samsung pay. I got my S6 just for that, but my bank still doesn't support it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #14
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Is it any good?

I thought about making the jump from my 7+ but it's so annoying to get out of Apple's ecosystem once you've been there for so long so I stick with Apple even though I fucking hate them.
What makes you dislike Apple? I've never had one, so just curious since you've been with Apple for a while. Are they nuances that only someone as a previous owner would really be bothered by?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 04:33 PM   #15
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish
Looks cool.

After having every generation of the iPhone since it was released up to the 6, I switched to an S7 edge and havent looked back.

Got my eye on that all black S8+ .. Im going to wait till its in stores first though.
      03-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #16
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
After having every generation of the iPhone since it was released up to the 6, I switched to an S7 edge and havent looked back.

Got my eye on that all black S8+ .. Im going to wait till its in stores first though.
Eh, I thought about the S7 Edge, and almost got the Note 7 (before the debacle). Don't get me wrong, great devices and I really liked playing around with them. Definitely seemed like Android improved over the years, since my Xperia Arc days....

I'll admit I'm sucked into the Apple ecosystem, with my Macs and iOS devices and shit. It's nice being able to answer calls or texts from my laptop/desktop, while my phones in my pocket or charging on my nightstand. iMessage is really nice, as is Airdrop, and Apple Pay.

But, what's really keeping me with Apple is the level of polish and reliability. Everything I use my phone for (calling, email, text, and photo) just work really well. I used Android phones before, and a lot of my friends use them too. From my experience, Android isn't as polished as iOS. Yea, there might be more toys and whistles, but the reliability is questionable. Not saying Apple's perfect, they are far from it...but I can rely on their products to deliver when I need it.

I'll probably end up getting the iPhone 8 (or whatever they call it). My 6+ has served me well.

TL;DR

Apple fits me better than Android. That said, Samsung makes dope shit.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #17
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Duplicate post lol
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #18
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

I currently have the Xiaomi Mi Mix....( best phone in the world hands down),
But I am extremely curious to check out the S8+ and more importantly the "Galaxy X" if it does really come out.
      03-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #19
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal f80 View Post
Ive been holding off on a new phone since I got my s6 edge plus the day it came out . i wasnt about to switch to the s7 , waiting for this

they both always have similarities and copy each other if you want to put it that way . its just how the world works .
Not really, iPhone uses so many parts from Samsung, and from other Chinese phone's.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 08:31 PM   #20
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
But, what's really keeping me with Apple is the level of polish and reliability. Everything I use my phone for (calling, email, text, and photo) just work really well. I used Android phones before, and a lot of my friends use them too. From my experience, Android isn't as polished as iOS. Yea, there might be more toys and whistles, but the reliability is questionable. Not saying Apple's perfect, they are far from it...but I can rely on their products to deliver when I need it.
Absolutely this. I have a S7 edge and havent had an Apple phone since the 4 but even back then the OS was much more reliable and stable. I ditched the iPhone for the customization of Android which I absolutely love but picked up reliability issue but now adays the iPhone has pretty much the same shit as Android and the other way around.

95% i'm switching back to the 10th anniversary iPhone. I want to see both in person before I jump back to Apple though. If there's nothing spectacular about it I'll continue on to the S8+
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #21
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Absolutely this. I have a S7 edge and havent had an Apple phone since the 4 but even back then the OS was much more reliable and stable. I ditched the iPhone for the customization of Android which I absolutely love but picked up reliability issue but now adays the iPhone has pretty much the same shit as Android and the other way around.

95% i'm switching back to the 10th anniversary iPhone. I want to see both in person before I jump back to Apple though. If there's nothing spectacular about it I'll continue on to the S8+
LOL. I've gotten into so many arguments with dudes about Android vs. iOS. Honestly, it's all in their heads and what they read in the media. Customization Android definitely has the upper edge, I 110% agree....but iPhone isn't completely closed off (at least now it ain't).

Thing with Android, most of the problems arise from this openness to customization. People go on and try and make their phones look cool with skins, apps, launchers, etc...but they don't realize that hardware may not be optimized for the software.

One of the things I've always appreciated about iOS and Apple is their optimization. Those engineers know how to program efficiently. It's like a fitted suit vs. something from Nordstrom Rack. Both are nice, but one just feels better.

Let's hope these rumors pan out.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:25 PM   #22
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4
Quote:

My S7 egde has been running better than the iPhone 6 I had. Its works smoother and is faster.

Dont really care for customization, havent done any of that. Being able to download music off google directly into my phone, download rar files and unzip them from the phone, download torrents, convert music files (flac to wav) etc is what I do the most. I get new music daily so its a big thing for me. I see my friends with iPhones shazaming music to go home and download, get it into itunes, plug their phone in, sync.. ahh memories.

And lets not forget about the camera and screen, I still get amazed at how damn black the blacks are. I take a lot of pictures and even the iPhone 7 camera cant come close (except for zoom). The day one of my friends got his 7, he tried all day to get a better picture than me.. he looked extremely sad lol.

So for me, the things I use the most.. the S7 Edge does far better and more efficiently.