New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #45
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
Just got the new Car and Driver... their long-term Cayman S cost something like $3,400 in regular maintenance over 40k mile vs. under $700 for their C7. Of course it can be done more cheaply by avoiding the dealer (my parents just spend like $3k+ at the dealer for their '07 base Cayman for basic maintenance and brakes, plus another $800 for TPMS sensors... at like 26k miles) but it will still be multiples more than an S2000. Spark plugs on mine cost me $40 and 15-20 minutes. Oil changes are 5qts of synthetic and a $12 filter (you don't even get a dipstick on the Cayman, so good luck). Front brake rotors are $50 shipped from Amazon. Tires are 16" or 17". It's a different world of maintenance costs.

You probably don't care about this, but strangely, gas mileage won't be noticeably better on the S2k though. 4k rpm at 73mph = pretty mediocre mileage for such a small car and engine.
Thank you sir. MPG I don't care much about. In an interesting twist a buddy of mine who does a lot of HPDE's and SCCA events is pushing me to seriously consider a Miata. Obviously no power, but they are fun to drive and parts are dirt cheap and the wife would probably like it...

Not sure how I feel about that to be honest but probably worth considering.

Cayman and S2000 are probably still topping the list at this point. I'm driving a local Cayman on Saturday so that will tell me if I've got fit issues due to my height.
      02-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #46
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Cayman and S2000 are probably still topping the list at this point. I'm driving a local Cayman on Saturday so that will tell me if I've got fit issues due to my height.
I just read that you're 6'6" (thought I addressed that in this thread, but it must have been in another thread). I am afraid you can probably forget about an S2000 due to your height and the fact you want to track it. You mentioned you'd like your wife to be able to drive it, which I presume means on the street, which means you can't have a roll bar safely. This means you'll have to use the stock roll hoops.

I'm in the same situation, yet even at 5'11" I had to get a Bride race seat and rails that dropped me 1.5-2" (basically on the floor) to pass the "broomstick test" between the roll hoops and windshield header while wearing a helmet. Even with that, I barely pass, and I have a short torso for a 5'11" guy (my ex-g/f was 5'9" and was taller than me when sitting down). Sadly, it appears Honda designed the S2000 around a small Japanese man (no racist).

I guess you could get a hardtop, but I'm not sure how stout that really is in a rollover anyway. It really sucks they didn't make a lighter, stiffer, cheaper, roomier S2000 coupe.

Last edited by -BEASTMW-; 02-04-2016 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #47
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I just read that you're 6'6" (thought I addressed that in this thread, but it must have been in another thread). I am afraid you can probably forget about an S2000 due to your height and the fact you want to track it. You mentioned you'd like your wife to be able to drive it, which I presume means on the street, which means you can't have a roll bar safely. This means you'll have to use the stock roll hoops.

I'm in the same situation, yet even at 5'11" I had to get a Bride race seat and rails that dropped me 1.5-2" (basically on the floor) to pass the "broomstick test" between the roll hoops and windshield header while wearing a helmet. Even with that, I barely pass, and I have a short torso for a 5'11" guy (my ex-g/f was 5'9" and was taller than me when sitting down). Sadly, it appears Honda designed the S2000 around a small Japanese man (no racist).

I guess you could get a hardtop, but I'm not sure how stout that really is in a rollover anyway.
Yeah, I can fit in the S2k but would be tough to do with a helmet, probably a bit better than my Z06 with a different seat? I can do HPDE's without a roll bar but will never get to go full bore in that situation.

I may have to rethink totally if I can't sort this out. Weird part is the E46 M3 doesn't have anymore headroom or maybe less than a Miata, which sounds crazy but unless its a slicktop I really can't do an E46 either...

I'm hoping the cayman works out well on Saturday.
      02-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #48
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I can fit in the S2k but would be tough to do with a helmet, probably a bit better than my Z06 with a different seat? I can do HPDE's without a roll bar but will never get to go full bore in that situation.

I may have to rethink totally if I can't sort this out. Weird part is the E46 M3 doesn't have anymore headroom or maybe less than a Miata, which sounds crazy but unless its a slicktop I really can't do an E46 either...

I'm hoping the cayman works out well on Saturday.
I can't remember how much room I have in my mom's Cayman (Gen 1). Best of luck, I hope it works for you. They are awesome (wish my mom's was an S!). In a few years I'd love a current-gen Cayman S or GTS with the flat-6.

Some trackday organizers don't even allow you to run with the stock roll hoops - I'd say 2/3rds of the time you're okay. I think usually you're fine with a hard top, which would provide better aero anyway (often you're required to run top-down, which is fun but not very aero-friendly).

I had never really thought about the track implications of having a convertible that I need to be streetable. It's a challenge and especially hard if you're tall, I'm afraid.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #49
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Thank you sir. MPG I don't care much about. In an interesting twist a buddy of mine who does a lot of HPDE's and SCCA events is pushing me to seriously consider a Miata. Obviously no power, but they are fun to drive and parts are dirt cheap and the wife would probably like it...

Not sure how I feel about that to be honest but probably worth considering.

If you want slow and fun I think the BRZ/FRS is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #50
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
If you want slow and fun I think the BRZ/FRS is awesome.
Giving them a look. I think I'm just going to look at almost everything that is fun/sporty and figure out what I can fit in, what my wife can fit in and go from there. Not opposed to after market seat swap if it maintains the adjustability for/aft and up and down of the seat. I'm 6'6 my wife is 5'4 so it complicates things lol
      02-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #51
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Giving them a look. I think I'm just going to look at almost everything that is fun/sporty and figure out what I can fit in, what my wife can fit in and go from there. Not opposed to after market seat swap if it maintains the adjustability for/aft and up and down of the seat. I'm 6'6 my wife is 5'4 so it complicates things lol
Then S2000 is definitely out. Even stock there is no height adjustment. With my race seat dropping me down, at 5'11" I'm eye-level with my 5'3" wife in the stock passenger seat. So your wife would be staring at the door pretty much, haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #52
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Porsche Cayman GT4.

Don't get yellow because another member here went from C5 to GT4 and he got yellow.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #53
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Then S2000 is definitely out. Even stock there is no height adjustment. With my race seat dropping me down, at 5'11" I'm eye-level with my 5'3" wife in the stock passenger seat. So your wife would be staring at the door pretty much, haha.
Went to test drive the FRS today, I fit! And it was fun! I really enjoyed it, got the impression I could thrash it all day and not have issues. So its definitely staying on the list...

Also at the same dealer they had a 2014 X3 XDrive 28i that we took home tonight for an extended test drive so now my wife may be getting a new car

And will do some more driving for corvette replacement
      02-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #54
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Went to test drive the FRS today, I fit! And it was fun! I really enjoyed it, got the impression I could thrash it all day and not have issues. So its definitely staying on the list...

Also at the same dealer they had a 2014 X3 XDrive 28i that we took home tonight for an extended test drive so now my wife may be getting a new car

And will do some more driving for corvette replacement
Yeah you can drive the piss out of it and only be going 50
Appreciate 0