New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #67
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

A bike and public transport.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #68
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i'm getting ready to add another car and have been craving american muscle (see poll here: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163593) for some reason. i've never been interested in any of these until recently. so weird.

i wouldn't replace my current cars with those but they seem fun for some side action.

i've owned 4 bmw's and i'm not really interested in their current direction.

if i had to pick a replacement other than what i currently have and couldn't have any side toys then i would go for alfa romeo 4c or c63 amg.
      08-25-2015, 05:22 PM   #69
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
unfortunately
this is not a hypothetical question for me
the current crop of BMWs don't do it for me anymore
so I switched brands
as much as I love BMW, I can't spend my hard earned money on any of the current models
this is coming from someone who has owned 5 BMWs in the last 7 years
Same boat here. The only thing I came to BMW for was the steering. Now that's gone and there's nothing about this current crop that makes me want to stay. That and the BMW dealer here is horrific. Audi isn't much better, but it is better.

Quote:
I find it odd because the vehicles share little in common in terms of driving sensation. Granted, i've only driven the A3, TT (both body styles) S4 and A6. But none of them have ever felt on par with the sensation from driving M3s of similar years.

Those above i've driven for weeks and or months at a time (some of them modded) while owning M3s, but the S5, RS4, Q5s are the only ones i've driven recently and only for a test drive. But they didn't really vary much from what i've felt from the past Audi models...on a test drive anyway.
I would tend to agree fully prior to the current crop. Now, with the hydraulic steering gone, aside from balance (which in my opinion is very well made up for by the Audi Quattro AWD system, especially those with torque vectoring) I don't feel BMW to be superior anymore.

Quote:
I haven't gotten into the F80 at all though, even for a test drive.
I got a F80 328i as a loaner and, while I didn't HATE the car by any means, all I kept thinking was "Wow, what a really nice RWD Camry".
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 10:44 PM   #70
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Ah did you get the 4c? Review?
Amazing

Fantastic chassis
Never been in a car that had so little shudder or shimmy when going over bumps
It's roco solid
Engine is very good, amazing turbo sound when it spools up
Pretty good gearbox, but would have been perfect with a manual
Small on the inside
The closest car to it is the lotus Elise
Amazing looks, I get tons of compliments from all ages, both sexes.

It's a one trick pony
When you're in the mood to go fast, it's the perfect tool for the job
But it can't do anything else

The E92 M3 i used to own, was a jack of all trades
You want fast? Check
You want to seat 4 in comfort? Check
You wanted to go grocery shopping? Check
It really was the perfect car.

But they lost me when they decided to go down the turbo route
And yes I know my alfa is turbocharged
But the reason I loved my M3 was the naturally aspirated engine
Now that they are turbocharged, well, there are a lot more players in the turbo charged field. And no reason why I would pick the m3/m4
I miss shifting at 8400rpm in the S65
      08-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #71
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I need a small suv with a premium plate for the mrs. It's all about appearances as she is a lawyer. Looking to spend as little as possible as my 9-3 does the family grunt work with aplomb.

Not much out there!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #72
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

X1?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #73
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
X1?
That's what we have but lease is up in may and this thread is if "bmw did not exist". Other complication is the current X1 is a stripper model, nothing in it at all except heated seats, steering wheel and the moonroof.

Mrs wants more toys, especially back up camera and parking sensors but I want to spend less than the $525 a month we are spending as we have a second sprog on the way. So cake and eat it. I'm thinking maybe Mini?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #74
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Mini has such weird packaging inside its not very useful. We just got vw sportwagen tdi for the wife and I like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #75
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
That's what we have but lease is up in may and this thread is if "bmw did not exist". Other complication is the current X1 is a stripper model, nothing in it at all except heated seats, steering wheel and the moonroof.

Mrs wants more toys, especially back up camera and parking sensors but I want to spend less than the $525 a month we are spending as we have a second sprog on the way. So cake and eat it. I'm thinking maybe Mini?
Quote:
Mini has such weird packaging inside its not very useful. We just got vw sportwagen tdi for the wife and I like it.
My wife chose to daily a Mini Countryman. She loves it and apparently so do her clients. (She's a CPA) I personally don't find it very comfortable, or useful inside, but it looks cool and is fun to drive. For a FWD car anyway.

I take that back partially, the back seats are comfortable. The fronts are a little narrow for my liking, but i'm fairly thick.
      08-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #76
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Agree they look cool but neither my wife or I were interested in even driving it after looking at content.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #77
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
C6 Z06 and C7 Z06/Z07 Package
      08-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #78
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Agree they look cool but neither my wife or I were interested in even driving it after looking at content.
I tend to agree, i don't think i could live with it day in and out. It's like they are trying too hard to be the ECO crew with that center gauge pod. They should just make a normal dash with normal sporty gauge pod above the steering wheel.

Also something i don't care for are "aviation type" switches. But again, they looked cool to me at first, but living with them is a different story.
      08-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #79
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Content IS the attraction, for the same price as a stripped X1 you can get a countryman nearly loaded.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #80
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I guess I should have said layout. It's inefficient use of space. Just seems wonky inside and not usable
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #81
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Same boat here. The only thing I came to BMW for was the steering. Now that's gone and there's nothing about this current crop that makes me want to stay. That and the BMW dealer here is horrific. Audi isn't much better, but it is better.

I would tend to agree fully prior to the current crop. Now, with the hydraulic steering gone, aside from balance (which in my opinion is very well made up for by the Audi Quattro AWD system, especially those with torque vectoring) I don't feel BMW to be superior anymore.

I got a F80 328i as a loaner and, while I didn't HATE the car by any means, all I kept thinking was "Wow, what a really nice RWD Camry".
Little confused by this...because what, an A4 feels like an F1 car? I think you are failing to understand the many different purposes for many different cars. Any 3 series is worlds apart from a Camry. Or maybe you are the type to criticize because you didn't get more than what you paid for. It's ok, that is very common now-a-days.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #82
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
Little confused by this...because what, an A4 feels like an F1 car? I think you are failing to understand the many different purposes for many different cars.
Well, since you brought up the A4 (even though that's not the Audi I said I would buy, and have every intention of buying after I am done with this BMW), I'll bite. No, driving wise, I'd prefer the Quattro equipped A4 to the new 330i (or xi, for that matter). The interior is MILES better than the BMW and so is the upgraded sound system and infotainment system. Other than that they really serve the same purpose (mid-sized lux car) and I think the Audi does a better job accomplishing that.

Quote:
Any 3 series is worlds apart from a Camry.
I didn't feel that 328i was any better than a fully loaded Camry save for the RWD giving the BMW the edge over the Camry, 'cause the steering/ride felt about the same. What else can I say?

Quote:
Or maybe you are the type to criticize because you didn't get more than what you paid for. It's ok, that is very common now-a-days.
Where the hell did you come up with this last statement here? I have a fully loaded M-Sport 1 series and I am perfectly happy with what I got for what I paid.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #83
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Well, since you brought up the A4 (even though that's not the Audi I said I would buy, and have every intention of buying after I am done with this BMW), I'll bite. No, driving wise, I'd prefer the Quattro equipped A4 to the new 330i (or xi, for that matter). The interior is MILES better than the BMW and so is the upgraded sound system and infotainment system. Other than that they really serve the same purpose (mid-sized lux car) and I think the Audi does a better job accomplishing that.
I thought steering was the only thing that truly mattered to you? That's basically your only main point in that post. I brought up the A4 because that would be the competitor to the 328/330.

Quote:
Where the hell did you come up with this last statement here? I have a fully loaded M-Sport 1 series and I am perfectly happy with what I got for what I paid.
Ok, that's fine. But you brought up the 328. I used a hypothetical statement to make a point. You don't need to apply it literally to your purchase. If you prefer I can alter it: Maybe you are the type to criticize when you don't get more than what you paid for. It's a generalization that you can apply to anything. It just reminded me of these people who think just because the bill for their car came from BMW, it should satisfy all of their worldly desires. It's an atrocity that the 328 does not have the M3's EPS!? I can't believe I actually have to push a button to fold the mirrors.

So I guess I should also answer your question: The answer is in the first part of my post, what car in the same class performs so much better? Where is the great HPS competitor that beats the 3 in so many ways? Audi, Merc? I don't think so, Infiniti...woah definitely not. Bottom line is, it's a particular market and price bracket, and I don't see anybody else out there blowing the doors off what BMW did with the 328. Ok i get it, many people cant shed the days of hydraulic steering from their minds, but it's not like BMW is the only one to do this. Certainly not an appropriate reason to say that a 3 series is nothing more than a RWD Camry.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #84
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Gotta say, rode in a brand new 5 series the other day and, well, it's very bland isn't it. Honestly a loaded Camcord is not a crazy idea in comparison, especially in cities with pot hole ridden roads and crazy traffic. Or even just a Maxima or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #85
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

Porsche!!

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2015, 01:43 PM   #86
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
I thought steering was the only thing that truly mattered to you? That's basically your only main point in that post. I brought up the A4 because that would be the competitor to the 328/330
No, it's not the only thing that matters to me and nowhere did I say it was. It was simply the part I mentioned. So let me further elaborate and say that my desire for a change in driving dynamics (AWD vs. RWD) and subtraction of two doors were the second and third part part of that decision.

Quote:
Ok, that's fine. But you brought up the 328. I used a hypothetical statement to make a point. You don't need to apply it literally to your purchase. If you prefer I can alter it: Maybe you are the type to criticize when you don't get more than what you paid for. It's a generalization that you can apply to anything. It just reminded me of these people who think just because the bill for their car came from BMW, it should satisfy all of their worldly desires. It's an atrocity that the 328 does not have the M3's EPS!? I can't believe I actually have to push a button to fold the mirrors.
Not that type of person either. I was simply stating how I felt the car drove and what I related it to. You are the one here who took it to whatever the hell you think I think exemplified by the above quoted statement all so you can defend BMW against all. Nowhere did I say the Camry and BMW 3 series are in the same class. I was comparing driving experiences and you took it to the whole other level.

Quote:
So I guess I should also answer your question: The answer is in the first part of my post, what car in the same class performs so much better? Where is the great HPS competitor that beats the 3 in so many ways? Audi, Merc? I don't think so, Infiniti...woah definitely not. Bottom line is, it's a particular market and price bracket, and I don't see anybody else out there blowing the doors off what BMW did with the 328. Ok i get it, many people cant shed the days of hydraulic steering from their minds, but it's not like BMW is the only one to do this. Certainly not an appropriate reason to say that a 3 series is nothing more than a RWD Camry.
Again, this is all B.S. you're spouting here because my driving experience doesn't match what you think it should've been and you don't like my comparison. I think the loss of the steering is a HUGE part of what made a BMW a BMW and a class above the rest. Now, I don't believe that so much and that's my right. Get over it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #87
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Probably something Japanese, like an old Type-R or B16 powered Civic Si, or a WRX variant.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #88
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Toyota Yaris