New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
gypsyroadhog
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDRIVE 23i

Z4 sdrive 23i sound system - help needed

Hello, this is my first time on this forum so please be gentle with me
I have owned a Z4 sDRIVE 23i since April and I am over the moon with the car. The sound system is naff though
I have the standard system and was wondering if any upgrades were available. The other thing I wish to know is – the 2 door tweeters are producing nothing at all. Is this a fault or are all Z4s fitted with them and only connected if the top grade audio system is installed?
This really does let the car down badly. I had a Z3 before and spent a lot of money upgrading the sound system.
Any advice on this would be most welcome.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your sound system but that's a complaint others have expressed.

There is nothing that you can purchase over the counter that will drop into your existing configuring that will have a "stock" appearance. You only route is to work with a custom installer. The Z, or course, has very limited space so depending on how you want to go, you'll have to make some trade offs for placement of the additional equipment. One of the problems you'll face is that the existing Basic and Professional head-end units are pre-equalized. They don't have high equality low noise pre-outs either. So, unless you want a less than stock looking head-end unit, you 're stuck with pre-equalized, pre-amplified output signals, which is not desirable for a high end amplification. You need something like JL Audio's CleanSweep that takes the ugly signal, allows adjustment to clean it up and offers pre-out for your amps.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=79

Those issue aside, you can build a really nice system. If you wish to continue, there are several threads here and we can provide photos of custom installs, too.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-23-2010 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyroadhog View Post
Hello, this is my first time on this forum so please be gentle with me
I have owned a Z4 sDRIVE 23i since April and I am over the moon with the car. The sound system is naff though
I have the standard system and was wondering if any upgrades were available. The other thing I wish to know is – the 2 door tweeters are producing nothing at all. Is this a fault or are all Z4s fitted with them and only connected if the top grade audio system is installed?
This really does let the car down badly. I had a Z3 before and spent a lot of money upgrading the sound system.
Any advice on this would be most welcome.
The base system sucks, but you don't have tweeters in the A pillars, there's nothing at all, the hgher systems have diff amps and speakers get added on. There's a few people that have successfully added speakers and amps to the base system, just search around.
      10-24-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
gypsyroadhog
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDRIVE 23i

Hi thanks for that. You say there are not tweeters in the door frame. Forgive me for not being too clued up but they do look like speakers in the A frame. They are positioned right at the front and are triangular in shape
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
the belgian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

i also have a 2.3 with prof system, works great with clear sounds
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
m999psw
Rep
Drives: 35i

I also assumed that the tweeters were in there when I bought mine, but sadly I was dissapointed when I looked closely. I was so keen on taking having the car that the stereo was a bit of an afterthough but its great in comparison to the one I had in my TVR!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyroadhog View Post
Hi thanks for that. You say there are not tweeters in the door frame. Forgive me for not being too clued up but they do look like speakers in the A frame. They are positioned right at the front and are triangular in shape
Yeah, looks like there are speakers in there because of the grill. Look closely, there's nothing in there. Just some wiring.

T
Appreciate 0