New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #23
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Congrats and enjoy it! I have Dinan S2 for two years and no issues. I had LUX, but then returned them as one side kept cutting out and throwing daytime running lights error. It was my second pair too. You can check out the link under my signature if you want to see my mods.
      03-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #24
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

huh on the JB4??? it's a plug n play harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguyj View Post
In my view the Tuning Mod in a nutshell:
1. JB-4 Requires going under hood and doing some cuts to the wiring harness and rewire the inputs to the computer. There are a lot of videos on youtube that show you how and from all the reviews in these forums it works great. Worries, when you take it into the shop for service, you have to rewire it back and make sure you don’t leave a trail of your work because if there are problems they will not honor the warranty. Several forums talk about this, the best one I read came from a Ford Forum and with a checklist of how the dealer will look for Mods.
2. ESS is nice and clean, no cutting of wires but requires you to “reprogram” your computer and there are no guaranties that it will not be caught by dealer (one forum stated that BMW now can see computer Mods) and same issues as above on warranty.
3. Dinan is basically the same as ESS but your warranty is covered by them. Issues are they cost more, for about the same performance 4 – 7 Hundred more.
In reading the forums for the past year they all seem to give you anywhere from 70 – 114 ft/lbs more torque depending on stage 1, 2 or 3 and HP goes up with that depending what RPM… (that’s another issue to chat about) Dinan is the most expensive and requires you to upgrade oil cooler and get inner cooler for stage 3, together a 6k cost. But for me I’m going stage 2 at $1700 just for the peace of mind, if I go that much higher will need to add more suspension when at the track. I’m and Electrical Engineer that deals with testing and I figure BMW programs their cars to handle the power provided with minimal chance of failure in their engines. When you boost power there is a greater chance of failure and I would rather have a full proof method to correct it than dealing with arguing with the repair cost.
These numbers were off the top of my head so I’m sure others will correct me with exact figures, but I think I’m close enough to give you the ball park explanation.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #25
baldguyj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 e89 35i Sdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANguru View Post
More from our Forum http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488793
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #26
Alpha_Zulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is, Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANguru View Post
Sanguru is correct. The JB4 is a plug and play mod. Also, the latest JB4 allows you to disable the software from the steering wheel. So before you take it into service, just disable the software by setting it to Map 0 and voila, they can't tell the software is installed.

Also unless the dealership wants to be a massive douche, most will let it slide if you have mods. Just make sure to let your Service Advisor know up front that you've got mods.

To the OP: I'd get the Z4 over the M3.

As Jeremy Clarkson said, "M3 owners have no friends" :P
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #27
javol
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert335i View Post
Hi Guys,

Hope to get some inputs from you guys, Right now I drive a e93 335i. I am thinking of changing the car. I had a E85 Z4 but I had never driven a M3. If you had the choice would you go for the Z or the M3 ?

Thanks
I have both: E92 M3 Competition Package and Z4 35i (JB4).

M3: an "almost" race car in the body of a 4 seats GT. Better handling, steer, suspension, transmission software (DCT Drivelogic) and a fantastic NA V8 revving up to 8300. The intake sound is marvellous too.

Z4: a better looking car, roadster, tons of torque for the daily driving, and the "unique STUMP sound" on upshifting, a great feature to me.

Summarizing: when i drive the M3 i think it is overall better... but if i switch to Z4 i forget the M3 and love the torque and sound shifting @ 4000-5000 RPM with the roof open...
2012 Z4 35i DCT Black/Beige - 20" Vossen CV3, PB-Brake BBK, ///M Front Bumper, ///M Steering Wheel, Led Angel Eyes, Black Grille, Short Antenna - Tuning: JB4 Map 2, Custom Made 3" DPs & MPs, BMS Dual Intake - Desire list: 3D Design Front Lip, Meth Kit, FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #28
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Guys, Thank you so much for all your help and comments, I decided to go with the Z4 35s. I know my self The drooling over the new M3 will start in a year or so from all the speculation, at that time it'll hit me I am driving an old car... And I'll lose a lot of cash trying to unload it. And I wasn't getting a great deal to begin with for the M so it made more sense to go with Z4. Again Thank u.
You know I still sometimes regret trading in my Z4 for a M3 since the Z4 is such a slick and well designed car. The lines of that car are simply the best. My decision was driven by simply needs when I travel. I like to travel long distances and here and then take a little nap on the side of the road (rest areas etc). So the M3 is better for that since I can recline the seats something that is not possible in a Z4.

So as I said before thinking of ones needs is important. I am sure you made the right choice so .... Congratulations once you pick up your little "Z" one day I might just add a good used one for short weekend trips to my stable

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #29
Incipio
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Thanks Guys, You'll laugh when you hear why I wanted to change my car. I started joining the Forums out winter Boredom. the e92 crowd is a special very passionate crowd. Respect is a rare commodity on the forums (to be fair I had great help from some of the members, but its a numbers game there). I used to be on the Z'd forums and I liked the crowd...So here I am.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #30
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Thanks Guys, You'll laugh when you hear why I wanted to change my car. I started joining the Forums out winter Boredom. the e92 crowd is a special very passionate crowd. Respect is a rare commodity on the forums (to be fair I had great help from some of the members, but its a numbers game there). I used to be on the Z'd forums and I liked the crowd...So here I am.
Glad to have you back.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #31
Incipio
Private
Canada
Rep

Hey guys,

I got my car on Friday, is there's a huge difference in performance after the "breaking in" period right now it has 80 KM. The reason I ask is cuz I traded in my e93 335i, I found the 335i was much quicker in response and the way it pushes u back in to your seat when you press the gas (stock, no mods). They are both manual I figured the Z 35i will be noticeably different since it's a lighter car. Any thoughts ?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #32
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

that's funny because they both have the same engine and the Z4 isn't detuned. I haven't driven a 335 so I can't say, but I am surprised to hear your observation.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #33
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
I test drove the new 335i last week. It was an auto, but it felt soooo soft compared to the Z4.
The DCT will explain a lot of that, but in terms of pulling power, the Z had it all over the 335i.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #34
Conflagrare
Rep
Drives: Mojave E89 ZPP ZWP ZCW

M3 or Z4? It depends on what you are looking for man..

For performance/race I'd go M3. Heck, I'd look at Porsche (more $$) or Impreza STI (less $$) or Nissan GTR. I'd say Z4 is only 85% race oriented. I'd pick one of the alternatives above if you are really looking for speed.

For pure looks, refinement: Z4.

4 seats vert: M3 e89.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #35
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

We drove the 35is yesterday. Have an '08 M3 and drove to the dealer in the 335 xDrive with auto. The torque of the 35is is greater than both the others and she is lighter than both too (about 50# than the M and 250# than the E92 335). But her suspension is very much between the M and 335. I really noticed the smooth ride and quieter cabin of the 335 on the way home. Kinda surprising, but not at the same time. Our 335 is on 17" run flats and the 35is was on 19" rfts too.

My wife did comment about the small size and lack of storage. She mentioned hat there is no way she's be able to take her mom around in the Zed. I had to really bite my tongue to keep from telling her, I'll take. I'll take it.

Her biggest complaint was the blinker volume. Dang that thing is loud. I hope I can code it out after we get hers. We figured it was much louder so it could be heard with the top down???
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #36
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlfbio View Post
We drove the 35is yesterday. Have an '08 M3 and drove to the dealer in the 335 xDrive with auto. The torque of the 35is is greater than both the others and she is lighter than both too (about 50# than the M and 250# than the E92 335). But her suspension is very much between the M and 335. I really noticed the smooth ride and quieter cabin of the 335 on the way home. Kinda surprising, but not at the same time. Our 335 is on 17" run flats and the 35is was on 19" rfts too.

My wife did comment about the small size and lack of storage. She mentioned hat there is no way she's be able to take her mom around in the Zed. I had to really bite my tongue to keep from telling her, I'll take. I'll take it.

Her biggest complaint was the blinker volume. Dang that thing is loud. I hope I can code it out after we get hers. We figured it was much louder so it could be heard with the top down???
that's right about the blinker volume. You will also find that when you increase the audio volume with the top down, the volume will automatically decrease next time you start the car so you don't get blown away. So it works both ways.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #37
Incipio
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlfbio View Post

Wait till you get on the bluetooth and the person on the other end will freak out on you cuz thats all they can hear . Yeah I wish the blinker noise went down automatically when you are on the phone. But the voice doesn't bother me personally tho.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #38
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
that's right about the blinker volume. You will also find that when you increase the audio volume with the top down, the volume will automatically decrease next time you start the car so you don't get blown away. So it works both ways.
Good point. Didn't think of that. Wonder if I can completely code out the blinker noise while not affecting the volume control. I'll check into the Trace files after we get the car (mid-late summer) and see if the options exist.

Quote:
Wait till you get on the bluetooth and the person on the other end will freak out on you cuz thats all they can hear . Yeah I wish the blinker noise went down automatically when you are on the phone. But the voice doesn't bother me personally tho.
That's funny. Not good, but funny. We have our radar detectors mounted to the right of our rear view mirror - mine is fairly loud becasue I have my audio turned up usually and it's not in a position I like to look over to while driving - and the folks on the other end of the call say it's crazy loud when the detector goes off.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #39
Incipio
Private
Canada
Rep

DIY

Hi Guys,

I didn't want to start a new thread. Are there any DIY resource on the E89 ? I am getting an Msport bumper , was wondering if there were any DIYs on Removal and Installation. I searched I couldn't find any for the E89. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #40
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I didn't want to start a new thread. Are there any DIY resource on the E89 ? I am getting an Msport bumper , was wondering if there were any DIYs on Removal and Installation. I searched I couldn't find any for the E89. Thanks
There is no DIY subforum. There are DIY's for other models but not Z4. I've been pushing for one because I have found the DIY on e60.net really helpful for my 5 series. Someone just posted a DIY for angel eye bulb install and I was hoping he would lobby the administrator to create a subforum. I plan to post one for Z4 oil change prob sometime in late May - early June.

Appreciate 0