New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #23
fre2bpowerless
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: Yes. :D

Mostly seen women driving those dingy cars (BMW fanatic here)

But yeah Z4 is much sharper car, performance, looks, etc. Drive both and you would pick the Zee hands down.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #24
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
...the SLK is lumpy and ill proportioned.

For the same price (at least stateside) I'd be looking at the new Cayman or 2013 Boxster. Those lines are on par with the E89 and by all accounts surpass it in performance.

Just my 2 bits
Hmm, agree.

If I cover up the front of the SLK the back half looks ok, and if I cover up the rear the front half looks ok, but when you look at it as a whole I think it looks like two cars have been phtotshopped together.

Now that Porsche have fixed up the issues with their roof storage (put a cover on it) it is a serious contender, but I might wait until the next generation when they do like they have with the 911 and put metal plates into the cloth roof for added security and better shaping of the roof line.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #25
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

I've lived in the UK (Scotland) several times. You have some great roads in the UK!!!

Secondly, Jeremy Clarkson seems to have no issue finding some nice stretches of countryside to drive all those nice cars he gets into from time to time? [/QUOTE]

The TG lads have the luxury of having roads closed for their productions...[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, about my TG lads comment, 'twas humor.....
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #26
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
Mostly seen women driving those dingy cars (BMW fanatic here)

But yeah Z4 is much sharper car, performance, looks, etc. Drive both and you would pick the Zee hands down.
And very few females drive the Z4 which is why I love having one (as a female)!
      02-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #27
Nv Z
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 35is

Nothing wrong with the SLK, very comfortable with decent power.
I drove both a 2012 SLK and a Z4 35i within an hour of each other. I personally decided on the Z4 (currently awaiting it's arrival).

For me I think the Z is the more sporty of the two, and the looks of the Z is hard to beat.

It all depends where you find yourself at the present time.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #28
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Hahahah my friend, I guess by the time you reach reading my post, you should have already realized you are asking the wrong people (including me).
I can't even begin to imagine driving an SLK after my Z4... Even frankly the cayman S is not as close... and though pple say the CS handles better!! Again I am sure not better than mine (but than yes, mine is tweaked and tuned but...)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #29
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I saw a Benz in the rear vision the other day and thought the front looked really nice and sporty, probably the new SLK I thought judging at how low slung it was vs other cars ...it drew nearer and then I realised I was looking at the previous model.

New model front is no good.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #30
Bigmouth Studio
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Although your mate's wife looks sexy, but I tried, of course one night stand, not funny at all..............so my petty lovely & exciting Z4 is always my wife.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #31
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

the SLK looks great . . . after 6 beers
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #32
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
I saw a Benz in the rear vision the other day and thought the front looked really nice and sporty, probably the new SLK I thought judging at how low slung it was vs other cars ...it drew nearer and then I realised I was looking at the previous model.

New model front is no good.
Exactly. The old SLK's front was its best feature, like a F1 car....the new one is really 'butched' up and looks too angular. They also kept the stale back and sides, which were its worst angles to view at.

The interior of the new SLK is the only thing better than the Z4. Merc=boring, non-sporty, well-off old man's car always in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #33
baldguyj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 e89 35i Sdrive

Just take a test drive. If you like it better it was meant to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #34
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Exactly. The old SLK's front was its best feature, like a F1 car....the new one is really 'butched' up and looks too angular. They also kept the stale back and sides, which were its worst angles to view at.
Disagree. I didn't like the snout of the older one.
The new one takes some styling cues from the Z4 and looks better, IMO.
I've never driven either so I can't comment on that aspect.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #35
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Disagree. I didn't like the snout of the older one.
The new one takes some styling cues from the Z4 and looks better, IMO.
I've never driven either so I can't comment on that aspect.
Really? The old one's front was the only thing going for it. It looked very sharp and different from everything else out there. The new one's front is just a SLS-wannabe (the SLS is no looker either, imo).
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #36
lux good
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i & Q5 2.0 TSFI

[QUOTE=Land_Shark;11418093]Hahahah my friend, I guess by the time you reach reading my post, you should have already realized you are asking the wrong people (including me).

That's why my thread said 'talk me out of the SLK'......asking the right people surely!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #37
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

There're many reasons why people buy cars. Not all of the reasons are based on common sense ideas like performance, sophistication of the design, sport car like features (particularly in a 2 seater), etc.

For many people, it comes down to one or two things: 1) What is one of the most recognizable or prestigious marques out there? MB certainly fits that description, so then, 2) what do they have that fits for me right now?

Some people have more money than esthetic taste and/or common sense, so they do the safe thing. IMHO, there's no other reason to buy a SLK at this time. In years past the answer would have been different, but right now in this model year, as a side by side comparison IMO the Z4 is drop dead gorgeous and the SLK is fugly.

IMO MB has lost it's way in a few of its design categories and unfortunately SLK is one of those categories victimized by MB's waywardness. It looks like they are making a comeback so maybe in a couple years the tables may be turned around.

FWIW

Cheers
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 02-27-2012 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #38
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

+1 Well put.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #39
lux good
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i & Q5 2.0 TSFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
There're many reasons why people buy cars. Not all of the reasons are based on common sense ideas like performance, sophistication of the design, sport car like features (particularly in a 2 seater), etc.

For many people, it comes down to one or two things: 1) What is one of the most recognizable or prestigious marques out there? MB certainly fits that description, so then, 2) what do they have that fits for me right now?

Some people have more money than esthetic taste and/or common sense, so they do the safe thing. IMHO, there's no other reason to buy a SLK at this time. In years past the answer would have been different, but right now in this model year, as a side by side comparison IMO the Z4 is drop dead gorgeous and the SLK is fugly.

IMO MB has lost it's way in a few of its design categories and unfortunately SLK is one of those categories victimized by MB's waywardness. It looks like they are making a comeback so maybe in a couple years the tables may be turned around.

FWIW

Cheers
Thanks for your reply teague, i'm not sure I agree with that but then wouldn't it be boring if we didn't differ? I think that the new SLK is far better looking and more of a mans car than the previous model as they have given it a wider stance and a more aggressive front end (IMO!)......however regarding the cost of MB compared to the Zed I can lease a new SLK for £360 PM inc vat....my 23i Zed costs me £570 PM on a HP agreement! And saving £200 PM has got to be worth looking at, it's not as if it's a Skoda after all.
By the way I would have another Zed in a heartbeat as I really have and still do love mine. I will have to drive the newer 4 cylinder to see how it compares but on looks alone it's up there with the best of 'em and i've always fancied a silver or black Zed with graphite wheels!
Watch this space
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #40
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux good View Post
Thanks for your reply teague, i'm not sure I agree with that but then wouldn't it be boring if we didn't differ? I think that the new SLK is far better looking and more of a mans car than the previous model as they have given it a wider stance and a more aggressive front end (IMO!)......however regarding the cost of MB compared to the Zed I can lease a new SLK for £360 PM inc vat....my 23i Zed costs me £570 PM on a HP agreement! And saving £200 PM has got to be worth looking at, it's not as if it's a Skoda after all.
By the way I would have another Zed in a heartbeat as I really have and still do love mine. I will have to drive the newer 4 cylinder to see how it compares but on looks alone it's up there with the best of 'em and i've always fancied a silver or black Zed with graphite wheels!
Watch this space
I built an SLK 350 (which is the model comparable to the Z4 35i) and when I was done configuring it as my Z4 is built, it rang up $66,000. That's about the same as the Z4. MB makes you pay for a maintenance plan, 2, 3, 4, or 5 years. So it seems like cost isn't a factor. To me, the car looks so mature!

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #41
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Really? The old one's front was the only thing going for it. It looked very sharp and different from everything else out there. The new one's front is just a SLS-wannabe (the SLS is no looker either, imo).
Doesn't the old one have an SLR-wannabe front though?

It looked good on the SLRs long body but just looked weird on the SLKs shorter wheelbase.
      02-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #42
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Watch this space
You bring up some good points from your perspective and I appreciate that. And, cost is a major factor. Regardless how I feel about the SLK, the key is that it would be a decision you will be happy with. Whatever direction you go, enjoy your ride!

Cheers
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 03-04-2012 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #43
stickshifter69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Had my Zed for nearly 3 years now and loved every mile (except in the snow!!) looking at another Zed or the new SLK for a change!!
Liking the SLK is like fancying your mates wife, you know it's wrong but you still do!!
That's like dating Madonna and cheating on her with Lady Gaga! I think the Z4 will look great even as it ages. The SLK is "fugly".
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #44
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfx45 View Post
Doesn't the old one have an SLR-wannabe front though?

It looked good on the SLRs long body but just looked weird on the SLKs shorter wheelbase.
Hey, good pt. That's true, but I thought that it looked good on the SLK and its smaller frame. Unfortunately, that was the only good angle on the old SLK, imo. I didn't like the SLR either, it's too long and convoluted.

Merc just can't make truly good-looking cars, all their top-end ones try waaay too hard to look good/tough/prestigious/etc.
Appreciate 0