New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Atebit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yellow 2011 Z4 sdrive30i

SmartTop harness routing issue

The SmartTop STLFBW3 installation instructions recommend positioning the SmartTop harness assembly as shown in the attached picture. I tried that on my 2011, but there seem to be A LOT more wires that are already crammed into that space then what they show in the picture.

Specifically, there is a bundle of black cables that are cable-tied together right at the point where they recommend the new harness exit the Styrofoam controller bay. The harness will lay across these cables, but it prevents it from laying as flat as they show in the picture.

I'm still able to get the trim & carpeting pieces back on, but the edge of the carpet piece sticks up a bit, and I'm a little worried about long-term stress on the harness in that position.

Did anyone else run into a similar issue? I'm wondering if for some reason I have more cables in my controller bay then they did in their sample car for some reason?
Attached Images

03-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atebit
The SmartTop STLFBW3 installation instructions recommend positioning the SmartTop harness assembly as shown in the attached picture. I tried that on my 2011, but there seem to be A LOT more wires that are already crammed into that space then what they show in the picture.

Specifically, there is a bundle of black cables that are cable-tied together right at the point where they recommend the new harness exit the Styrofoam controller bay. The harness will lay across these cables, but it prevents it from laying as flat as they show in the picture.

I'm still able to get the trim & carpeting pieces back on, but the edge of the carpet piece sticks up a bit, and I'm a little worried about long-term stress on the harness in that position.

Did anyone else run into a similar issue? I'm wondering if for some reason I have more cables in my controller bay then they did in their sample car for some reason?
I installed my SmartTop module today on my 2012. I doubt there is much difference between these year models. I just moved a few things around, I did pull up a bit on the cover to fit the module as they show un the instructions. Took me all of 10 minutes. Left the USB cable where I could reach it as mentioned, took my laptop out, connected, downloaded the little program, made my changes as I desired. Worked great!!! Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Atebit
Private First Class
Rep

Can you tell me where in the instructions they tell you to "pull up a bit on the cover to fit the module?

I seem to have a few more cables in my car than in the highlighted bundle from the install guide. I added another cable tie out of the way & clipped the one in the picture, but that only gave me a little more wiggle room as there's not a lot of play in those cables. The extra cables don't allow the new harness to lay flat like the way it is (or at least appears to be) in the picture in the OP.

After putting the trim back together, the carpet piece just sticks up a little, probably a little more than 1/8". The unit functions great so I guess I'll just leave it alone. But if the new harness was maybe another 3/4" longer the bigger bundle probably wouldn't be an issue for me.
Attached Images

03-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Blu Yea
Jimi Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 35i DSB - Walnut

Garage List
2011 Z4 35i  [8.00]
Won't this install void the warranty?
Or is the plan to remove it when you go to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
thauma
England
Rep
Drives: 2011 sDrive23i Msport Hiline

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Yea View Post
Won't this install void the warranty?
Or is the plan to remove it when you go to the dealer?
It could be removed prior to going to the dealer but it's a bit of a faff. The install instructions specify that you should 'disable' the module prior to visiting a dealer. This is possible through 'software configuration' - either computer & USB or by using the indicator stalk in the vehicle.

I would doubt a dealer would go anywhere near this part of the vehicle, UNLESS you had an issue here, in which case removal would probably be best.

I guess it's personal choice at the end of the day.
http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
      03-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Yeah, from what I understand, disabling the module before bringing to the dealership should prevent it from being detected or causing any errors.

Back to topic, I had no problem squeezing in the module in as the instructions suggested. Same with atebit, the carpet does stick out a bit but hardly noticeable. That is also where I leave the USB cable, just underneath the carpeting.
      03-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
clydebmwz4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Hi there,

I had the same problem you experienced since I had more cables (thought maybe it is due to having comfort access while the demo car most probably didn't). If it can be of consolation, it took me some 45mins simply to fit the module as best I could without causing any damage. I know I was slow and extra careful but I preferred it to be safe rather than feeling sorry afterwards (same applies for the plastic clips).

Same as other users, my carpet trim fits slightly upwards which is perfect because I can hide the USB cable beneath and reach it with one finger. SmartTop works great and computer settings vs indicator stick settings are a bliss !
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
I have comfort access too and really didn't have that much trouble with the module. Just squeeze/force it in place.
      03-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Atebit
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, I'll go with the flow and leave the carpet up a bit. I'm just too squeamish to try & force those high density connectors into bundles of other cables.

IMHO if the cable between the two connectors was another 3/4" longer, I probably could've maneuvered the free end into a safer area.

WRT warranty issues, you should've seen the previous rev SmartTop where they had you moving individual wires between connectors and vampire-tapping into others!