New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #23
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
BMW 3 series sedan's rear seat is pretty useless too, especially for bigger folks.

I can't leave my clubs at the club house, cause I always go to different golf courses.

I do have a dog. A mini schnauzer. He will rarely go on it though, as I hate driving with him. He doesn't want to sit by himself, always come on to my lap.

I don't have a family, so seating isn't an issue. I thought of Z4 as it might be a perfect car for a single male who lives with his dog with a job, and nothing holding his back. I plan on moving to California, where convertible might not be an option, but a must. I love coupes, but roof is not so fun. I wouldn't mind M3 convertible, but I hate the looks of 4 seater convertibles.

damn. I wish I can borrow a Z4 for a week. It'll help me decide. Any dealer would do this? I know some other car manufacturers let a potential customer to have the car for couple days...

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #24
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post
To this end I like to take a nap here and then at a dedicated rest stop. Unfortunately not much room in a Z4 to swing the seats back
OH GOD, didn't think about this. I love taking naps in the car. Yes, this is what a true car enthusiasts do.

Whoa this changes everything........ I'm dead serious. Laugh all you want, this is very serious...

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #25
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
damn. I wish I can borrow a Z4 for a week. It'll help me decide. Any dealer would do this? I know some other car manufacturers let a potential customer to have the car for couple days...
Well you can rent one for a day or a week, perhaps you should. I have no idea where you live, however in Toronto Canada it will set you back a good $400 to $500 /Day with insurance then there is the deposit of $5000-

I saw them also fro rent in Los Vegas NV

Good Luck

PS1 ... I only could fit one golf bag, mind you my golf bag is fairly large so size here matters.

PS2 ... If you do get a Z4 (great car btw) make sure the wheels are NOT Style 296 (they look nice and have 10 spokes) they do crack. Search the forum on that subject. All other wheels are fine ... just a heads up here. And do change the tires to performance tires. Get rid of the RFT they ride very hard.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 03-07-2012 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: Added PS 1 and 2
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #26
Michael5155
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 30i

Quote:
I don't have a family
Get the Z4. End of discussion.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #27
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

It has been my daily driver since 2009, and given it to do over would not change my decision to buy again.

Quote:
?..To this end I like to take a nap here and then at a dedicated rest ...
I have no problem grabbing a nap at a rest stop, I use the ski bag in the pass through, keeps my shoes from messing up the trunk and is actually fairly warm. Make sure to carry a small pillow as the iDrive knob leaves a really strange looking mark in your face, and scrolling will cause you to lock in the Sport+ mode until the console dries out.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #28
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
I don't have a family, so seating isn't an issue. I thought of Z4 as it might be a perfect car for a single male who lives with his dog with a job, and nothing holding his back. I plan on moving to California, where convertible might not be an option, but a must.
You're a perfect match, now go buy it. If your golf bag is too big, buy a smaller one. If you can't fit two bags in the trunk, tell your friend to take a taxi. Buy it now before you have kids and your life is over. I've driven Z4s almost 5 years now as daily drivers, and there's no other car (that I can afford) I'd rather have.

Out of curiosity, what kind of job does your dog have?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #29
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
Out of curiosity, what kind of job does your dog have?
HAHAHA he majored in barking and currently working as eating my f**king money assistent.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #30
Michael5155
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
now go buy it.
I love that feeling of being in the market for a car: doing the research, walking into the show room, sitting in it then taking it for a test drive, thinking about colors and options. Yummy! I think there's some kind of "high" I get when I'm shopping for a car. Sometimes I think I sell perfectly good cars just so I can get that "high" again and go through the process of buying a car. Even when I was helping mu kid by his first beater car, I got all excited.

Enjoy and drag out the process as long as you can. It's kind of like trying to make that orgasm last as long as possible.

Whatever you end up buying (Z4-subliminally said)... savor the process!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #31
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5155 View Post
I love that feeling of being in the market for a car: doing the research, walking into the show room, sitting in it then taking it for a test drive, thinking about colors and options. Yummy! I think there's some kind of "high" I get when I'm shopping for a car. Sometimes I think I sell perfectly good cars just so I can get that "high" again and go through the process of buying a car. Even when I was helping mu kid by his first beater car, I got all excited.

Enjoy and drag out the process as long as you can. It's kind of like trying to make that orgasm last as long as possible.

Whatever you end up buying (Z4-subliminally said)... savor the process!
So, when you finally get your car, do you have a little "private time" with it?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #32
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Simply put, I'm used to coupes and sedans. Never had a 2-seater sports car. How practical is Z4 35i as a daily driver? Few areas of concern,

Ride Quality: With 18~19" wheels and possibly RFTs (setup I will have if I buy this car), I assume this will be a horrific car for long commutes?
Trunk: I have no idea how trunk space of convertible car works. I heard you pretty much can't have anything but 1~2 grocery bags with the top down. With the top up, I heard a full size golf bag can fit. (not two, eh?) For me, trunk will be mainly used for golf clubs, some shopping bags.
Reliability: I will keep this car for 3 years. Any known problems? HPFP at all? major or minor problem that commonly pops up?
Others: Anything else that I should know about when buying a 2 seater car as a daily driver?

Thanks for your input.
I think that I fit a good profile for having the Z4 as a DD since I'm married but no kids. Like another member, I dislike large cars and like sporty ones; 2-seater is no prb and preferable for me. I have no prbs getting in and out of the car. I live in Toronto and this car can handle the winters no sweat (w/ winter tires, of course).

Ride quality
is great: I travel A LOT and the ride is always comfy *and* sporty (18" RFTs).

Trunk: it is surprisingly spacious, but you'll do better w/ 'soft' luggage so that it can fit better. I've had no prbs doing errands, groceries for 2 ppl, trips to IKEA, etc.

Reliability: I have a 2011 35i and no real prbs. I've had one electrical glitch, i.e. passenger airbag would go offline if the seat heater was on (fixed). No HPFP issues for me. There was a slight hum coming from the rear (LPFP?) and I had it for a long time but when I switched gas brands it finally disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Best thing I ever did was ditch the run flats (19" 326M wheels).
The Bridgestone RFT lasted 15000km before shredding.
The new Goodyear Assymetric F1 are still fantastic after another 10,000km.
How come your RFTs shredded? One too many burnouts, Stiggy?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #33
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post
It has been my daily driver since 2009, and given it to do over would not change my decision to buy again.

I have no problem grabbing a nap at a rest stop, I use the ski bag in the pass through, keeps my shoes from messing up the trunk and is actually fairly warm. Make sure to carry a small pillow as the iDrive knob leaves a really strange looking mark in your face, and scrolling will cause you to lock in the Sport+ mode until the console dries out.

03-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #34
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post

I think he meant to say "drooling"

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #35
Stupenal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mmm

2 golf bags in the trunk will only be possible with the pass through loading system. Even then, it will be pretty tough imo. If you want to go top down, you can fit only 1 bag through the pass through loading system.

FYI, I found that even with a smaller golf bag, it was still a real pain to use get it to fit with the pass through loading. I have the Callaway Hyper Lite 4.0 bag which isn't that big of a bag. Still had trouble getting the clubs in the trunk with the pass through.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #36
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Either that or he rolls over and falls asleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
How come your RFTs shredded? One too many burnouts, Stiggy?
Yep.
Canvas came out and started whipping the exhaust with every wheel revolution.
Couldn't believe they were trashed soo soon.
Same driving style, and these Goodyears are lasting way longer...

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #37
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
HAHAHA he majored in barking and currently working as eating my f**king money assistent.
Funny, may I enquire what kind of dog it is? Perhaps a picture is worth 1000 words Of course no room at all for this size on your lap

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #38
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
Funny, may I enquire what kind of dog it is? Perhaps a picture is worth 1000 words Of course no room at all for this size on your lap
I think it'll be more fun to ride that dog to work.
      03-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #39
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I'd venture to say that dog weighs more than I do!
      03-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #40
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfx45 View Post
I think it'll be more fun to ride that dog to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayda View Post
I'd venture to say that dog weighs more than I do!
I guess you are both right ... if his dog is that size then he needs a truck

I think it might qualify as the worlds largest dog.

All joking aside, I think the OP said his dog likes to slip onto his lap so no worries I think he be fine in the worlds sexiest car the Z4

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #41
Michael5155
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I'd like to think I have BIG 'private time" with it. She's never said no and doesn't have the monthly curse.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #42
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5155 View Post
I'd like to think I have BIG 'private time" with it. She's never said no and doesn't have the monthly curse.
Haha!

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #43
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

I daily drive mine. I bought it may of 2010.... And I currently have 33k miles. I use it in rain, snow, sun. I go to restaurant depot often for my business and I haul plenty of the merchandise in it. Overall it's a great DD
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #44
Conflagrare
Rep
Drives: Mojave E89 ZPP ZWP ZCW

Your solution

Do what I did:

Pretend your current car is a Z4.

Make a note every time you carry more than 1 passenger, and have more than small bags in the trunk.

I counted about 2-3 occasions that this happened in the past year. So I sprang for the Z4.
Appreciate 0