New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
timber511
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z435IS

HR SWAYBAR

I found my z435is has massive bodyrolling considering it is a sport car
do you guys think HR SWAYBAR will help to eliminate it ?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

The antirolls will eliminate the understeer. If you switch from rft to "normal" perf. tires you will get some understeer back.
The bodyroll you experience will be corrected by say 30% with the sways.
The only way to get rid of it is by adding springs or coilovers.
But the sways should be your first step imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Thought I'd bump this. I'm looking to tighten up the handling on my Z4. I'm thinking of doing the KW v3s, but I don't want to go too low or too stiff. I'm curious to hear from anyone who has the H&R swaybars. It seems like they'd be a good way to tighten things up without sacrificing much daily-driver practicality. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
timber had installed the HR sways in combination with the kw v3 coilovers on his 35is. majority of the bodyroll was eliminated and it was a good riding machine. i know because i now have the same setup. car is a lot more planted and sensitive on the road. i daily drive the car and feel the stiffness is fine and not at all intrusive. infact i comfortably traveled to new york from toronto canada without missing the stock coilovers at all. I agree that the h r sways alone will help bodyroll a bit. but not enough to eliminate it altogether.
      07-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Thought I'd bump this. I'm looking to tighten up the handling on my Z4. I'm thinking of doing the KW v3s, but I don't want to go too low or too stiff. I'm curious to hear from anyone who has the H&R swaybars. It seems like they'd be a good way to tighten things up without sacrificing much daily-driver practicality. Thoughts?
You can control ride height with the KW V3s, and you can adjust the ride to how you want it. All of the adjustments can be made with the struts and shocks on the car. I have them set in the middle and I think that it rides great and I have no body roll. The OEM suspension on this car is not made for spirited driving. I believe that it was designed to cruise between 35 and 60 mph.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the responses, guys. I have the KW v3s on my Mini (along with a stiffer rear sway) and love what they did. The understeer and body roll on the Z4 is crazy compared to my Mini.

How much did you guys end up lowering the car with the KW v3s? Any issues getting over driveways, speed bumps, etc.? The old lady will kill me if practicality/ride comfort is significantly reduced. Makes me a tad more nervous than the Mini since the Z4 is already so low already.

Also, how does one tell if you have the EDC or not. I think we do NOT have it, but the old lady mentioned she thought we did. I can't find what look like EDC controls in the cockpit, but maybe I'm not sure what I should be looking for.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the responses, guys. I have the KW v3s on my Mini (along with a stiffer rear sway) and love what they did. The understeer and body roll on the Z4 is crazy compared to my Mini.

How much did you guys end up lowering the car with the KW v3s? Any issues getting over driveways, speed bumps, etc.? The old lady will kill me if practicality/ride comfort is significantly reduced. Makes me a tad more nervous than the Mini since the Z4 is already so low already.

Also, how does one tell if you have the EDC or not. I think we do NOT have it, but the old lady mentioned she thought we did. I can't find what look like EDC controls in the cockpit, but maybe I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Enter the last 7 of you VIN and it will tell you if you have EDC or not. Look for Adaptive M suspension
http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboworld View Post
Enter the last 7 of you VIN and it will tell you if you have EDC or not. Look for Adaptive M suspension
http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/
Good idea, thanks!

Under "Optional Equipment" it lists:

S2VFA Adaptives M Fahrwerk Adaptive M suspension

So I guess that means we do have it. Now the question: Where are the controls or is it part and parcel of the Normal/Sport/Sport+ button?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Good idea, thanks!

Under "Optional Equipment" it lists:

S2VFA Adaptives M Fahrwerk Adaptive M suspension

So I guess that means we do have it. Now the question: Where are the controls or is it part and parcel of the Normal/Sport/Sport+ button?
Yep, Normal/Sport/Sport+ controls the suspension. It is not a big deal to switch it out but you either have to get the KW EDC kit or a kit from some other company. I believe that Macht schnell also makes one and it is a bit cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
i have the simulation kit from a kw v3 coilover. i didnt need it as i had standard coilovers without EDC. if anyone need that kit feel free to shot me an offer.
      07-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
btw when i installed the kw v3s i had the coilovers adjusted at their highest point. it ended up being quite a bit higher than the stock suspension, needless to say it looks ridiculous and the shop lowered it for me immediately. the concern about ground clearance is totally up to what you want it to be.
      07-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Are we talking about the front and rear swaybars here - or just one?
Appreciate 0