New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
eclivia
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 coupe

comfort access?

how does the unlocking work on e89? all the pics i been seeing, has a key hole. Lets just say they replace the key hole with the button, I have to press the button then put my hand under and lift to open the door. its the same thing as puttin my hand in my pocket to unlock then use the other hand to open the door. E90 E92 have the pull out to open door, so its much more convenient to put hand on handle, use thumb to press the button then pull out.

So the question is, how does comfort access work on e89?

If it works the way i describe it, is comfort access worth the option?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclivia View Post
how does the unlocking work on e89? all the pics i been seeing, has a key hole. Lets just say they replace the key hole with the button, I have to press the button then put my hand under and lift to open the door. its the same thing as puttin my hand in my pocket to unlock then use the other hand to open the door. E90 E92 have the pull out to open door, so its much more convenient to put hand on handle, use thumb to press the button then pull out.

So the question is, how does comfort access work on e89?

If it works the way i describe it, is comfort access worth the option?
My wife is very critical when it comes to technical toys and when we bought her E91 in 2005 I talked her into getting the comfort access.

After three months she told me that the feature she likes most is the comfort access. I think this says it all.

Here is what it will do:

You can open, close and start the car without ever touching your key. It is sufficient to have in your pocket (or hand bag).

When you pull the door handle the car will unlock automatically.

To lock the car you have a certain point which you need to touch for about 1 second. At an E91 it is on top of the handle. At the E89 it is sideways - next to the handle.

Obviously you still have the possibility to open and close like before (so mechanically and using the remote clicking the buttons). Comfort access just adds a third way of doing this (and believe me you will not use the other two any more).

When inside the car, you can press the start button without inserting the key as well.

One other nice feature is: Since the car knows when a key is inside, you cannot forget the key in the trunk and close it locking yourself out.

For convertibles comfort access also adds two more features:
In an E93 without comfort access you can only to one direction of the roof with the remote control (I don't remember if it is close or open). With comfort access you can do both. I assume that for the E89 it is the same.

Plus, with comfort access you also get a comfort loading function with which you open the roof only half way (meaning you need only 10 seconds instead of 20) and you can then access your boot space.

All in all for me this is one of the must-have options!

Disclaimer: I am in no way related to BMW. I am just a normal (happy) customer.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 04:45 AM   #3
milhouse
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: M4

comfort access is very nice! I love it and it work as said from alheinz 71.
There still is a key holl. When you dont have the comfort access you still can open the cab with the key but you cant close it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

i'd bet its similar to the comfort access in my 135i. i think it's worthless -- i bought it because you can open/close the top with the remote. HOWEVER, what they don't tell you is that you have to be within 3 feet (literally) of the car to use it.
i mean, hey, at that distance you might as well be in the car. i'd never get CA again.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
HOWEVER, what they don't tell you is that you have to be within 3 feet (literally) of the car to use it.
I have not experienced this. The remote works very well even at a distance.

The main function of comfort access is nothing "remote" but mainly inside and at the car.

The additional function of opening the roof with the remote should work at the same distances as opening and closing the doors using the remote (and compared to other vendors BMW is much better regarding the working distance).

In any case I have never had a problem that I had to be as close as 3 feet to the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
arisk
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive23i

The additional function of opening the roof with the remote control is only with the "comfort access" option or is it stantard to all Z4's??
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
zedfive
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.5si

here, comfort access is standard on 3.5i
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisk View Post
The additional function of opening the roof with the remote control is only with the "comfort access" option or is it stantard to all Z4's??
For the e93 (3series convertible) the German price list says about "comfort access" (sorry for the bad translation):

...remote controlled open (standard) and close function for the roof...

To me this means that standard you can open the roof but not close it. Only with comfort access you can do both.

In the E89 (Z4) German price list "comfort access" says:

...remote controlled open and close of the hard top...

If they are precise this would mean that even opening is not any more in the standard.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 07:48 AM   #9
arisk
Private
Greece
Rep

It seems that they are trying to take more and more money from the extras...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It seems that they are trying to take more and more money from the extras...
Since for me the comfort access is a clear must I couldn't care less...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
arisk
Private
Greece
Rep

Ok but, not even the sports seats are stantard...!! Unbelievable... There were standard even in my old car, a Peugeot 307CC...!!
Such an expensive sport car like the new Z4 without sport seats... Just unbelievable...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Ok but, not even the sports seats are stantard...!! Unbelievable... There were standard even in my old car, a Peugeot 307CC...!!
Such an expensive sport car like the new Z4 without sport seats... Just unbelievable...
Neither the Boxster nor Cayman come with sports seats as standard (at least not in the UK). Mind you, maybe their standard seats are sporty enough...

I agree that the price does seem pretty high, especially in this current economic climate. I guess only time will tell whether BMW have made the right decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #13
maniac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d se '06

Am I right in saying that you can lift the roof a bit with comfort acces when it is in the boot? If I am right does someone have a picture or movie of it?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
My understanding is that the roof basically just partially closes up and then the boot opens. I think you basically double-click the boot opening on the remote and hold it in on the second click... something like that!
      07-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
My understanding is that the roof basically just partially closes up and then the boot opens. I think you basically double-click the boot opening on the remote and hold it in on the second click... something like that!
Correct, per the owners manual. I've not tried it yet. BTW, the U.S. owners manual calls that Convenient Loading.

I really like Comfort Access and hate that BMW charges extra for it. It is mostly a concenience thing of not messing with the key fob but its worth it.

One downside on the Z4 I found is on a hot day, I like cracking the windows open from the fob while approaching the car. You don't need CA for this. The problem on the Z4, is it thinks you want to drop the top. If I don't, I have to press the "top up" button to make sure it's secure and cancel th eblinking light.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
HK bimmer
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheinz_71 View Post
For the e93 (3series convertible) the German price list says about "comfort access" (sorry for the bad translation):

...remote controlled open (standard) and close function for the roof...

To me this means that standard you can open the roof but not close it. Only with comfort access you can do both.
I decided to give up my 2007 335i cabrio mainly because I haven't added the Comfort Access when I bought it.

I have considered changing it to M3 Cabrio or even another 335i Cabrio, of course, with Comfort Access this time.

However, buying another car of the same model seems a bit boring to me, and, the new Z4 is so attractive, so, ................
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #17
HK bimmer
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Correct, per the owners manual. I've not tried it yet. BTW, the U.S. owners manual calls that Convenient Loading.
Dear richard in NC, I have used the Comfort Loading for putting luggage to the back seat of my 335i Cabrio; and I have seen the movement of the hard roof of MB SL 500 tilting up a bit when the boot is opened. I just can't figure out how the Comfort Loading in the 2009 Z4 works.

Would you please try it on your new car, and show us in words, or even with pictures and video? Many many thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #18
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK bimmer View Post
Dear richard in NC, I have used the Comfort Loading for putting luggage to the back seat of my 335i Cabrio; and I have seen the movement of the hard roof of MB SL 500 tilting up a bit when the boot is opened. I just can't figure out how the Comfort Loading in the 2009 Z4 works.

Would you please try it on your new car, and show us in words, or even with pictures and video? Many many thanks!!
Bummer! I should have done that this weekend. Its supposed to rain the next several days and I may not get the chance to try it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #19
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Comfort Access is a great feature. I am mising it motre than expected on my new Z4. I had it on my 2007 Corvette that I traded in for the Z4

It will take some time to get back in the habit of having to unlock/lock the car with the remote.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #20
pixelwiz
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Convertible

Hi All,

I just got a 2007 BMW 328i convertible (E93). It does not have comfort access. Many people say though that I should at least be able to open the top with the Key Fob though. But I can't figure out how. I tried holding the open button and nothing happens, it just keeps opening the doors every time I press it. Can someone please explain how to open the roof with the key fob without having comfort access, is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #21
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

if you don't have CA you have to insert the metal key in the keyhole and turn in either direction, depending on what you want to do.
      04-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #22
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X1 35i M-sport

btw, just to comment, I still love the comfort access on my Z4. Wouldn't order another car without it after having it on our Mini first. It's oddly sensual to walk up and unlock the doors with a slight swipe of two fingers on the handle, or lock it by swiping the ridged tab. LOL...

Prev: 09 Z4 35i Black w/white napa leather & every option possible =)
Appreciate 0