New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #45
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

Performance is no issue. The issue is wheel spin between shifts. Here's graph showing 30mph to over 90mph in under 5 seconds. Wish the DCT clutches could hold the power better. 90mph 4th gear wheel spin with DTC off is a HOOT but keeps 1/4 mile times above 11seconds.

Last edited by z4z4z4; 02-04-2015 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #46
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
1. Does the transmission shift for you?
2. Can you ruin your transmission by over-revving your downshift?
3. Is there a neutral position?
Its not a manual. It's a very good transmission that shifts lightening fast. You always get a good shift. But it's not a manual. It's controlled by you and a computer.
I'm not sure why there's always this "issue" about the DCT but it seems that those that drive it must hold a traditional manual as the gold standard because they're always comparing the DCT to it.
Drive what you like but know what you're driving.

let you go past 7000 rpm?
3. Is there a nuetral?
1. yes and no, depending on the mode one chooses;
2. I'm sure that there are safeguards vs some careless M/T driver downshifting and blowing his engine, but it will still probably not be good for the engine to force a downshift even w/ DCT in obvious situations; and
3. if you mean a neutral 'gear', then yes.

No idea if it can let me go beyond 7K rpm but that's moot (since isn't the sweet spot ~4.5-5.5K?), so I never bothered to redline it since it's counter-productive.

I've no delusions that DCT=M/T because obviously they are not the same. Still, DCT does not equal A/T either because it has no torque converter and that's my criterion for what is an A/T or not (besides having full control of the gears, I'm sure M/T purists would argue that A/Ts suck because it drains more power away due to the use of the slushbox: this is not the case w/ the DCT - however, pls correct me if I'm wrong).

DCT is here and the way to go. Traditionalists can dream of the good old days and argue about 'feel' and 'involvement' and that's fine. I personally always saw driving stick as an inefficient way to change gears, getting in the way of really driving the car and am glad that progress has been made for a better alternative than the regular A/T. So, I for one never viewed the M/T as the 'gold std' because to me, it is not.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #47
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4z4z4 View Post
90mph 4th gear wheel spin with DTC off is a HOOT but keeps 1/4 mile times above 11seconds.
What mods!?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #48
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Im personally very happy that I do not have two clutch pedals and two gear shift sticks to worry about. If the DCT wasn't computer controlled the car would need a total of 4 pedals...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #49
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4z4z4 View Post

Performance is no issue. The issue is wheel spin between shifts. Here's graph showing 30mph to over 90mph in under 5 seconds. Wish the DCT clutches could hold the power better. 90mph 4th gear wheel spin with DTC off is a HOOT but keeps 1/4 mile times above 11seconds.
Try D mode instead of M mode. If you dont press the kick down switch it will shift around 6000rpm which should be fine for drags?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #50
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Im personally very happy that I do not have two clutch pedals and two gear shift sticks to worry about. If the DCT wasn't computer controlled the car would need a total of 4 pedals...
LOL, be careful about that comment, some purists might say that that would be the BEST way to drive a car.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #51
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

DCT- Bimmer, PDK-Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi, Ferrari, all the super cars sell over 90% of their cars with their form of Double Clutch. All F1, Indy cars etc use the DCT. All manufacturers versions of DCT or equivalent cars are faster then their manual counterparts. As much as the magazine editors espouse about the need for a manual they test DCT and post those results.

I personally love the interaction of the DCT with the shifter and paddles (on occasion). I Use the shifter mostly as I enjoy the interaction. Everything a manual is except the extra pedal. With the Sport+ mode you are in control and if you chose , you can easily run right the the max redline with no computer interaction. You chose your shift levels.

Then when I want to drink my extra large coffee, I am happy to have the car take over in Sport mode, maintain performance and shift for me.

Finally as a grocery runner and leisure drive with the wife, normal auto is a fall back. Best of all worlds for me.

In investigating my purchase, I drove the 30i with sportronic and 35i with DCT, in back to back test drives. I personally would not have purchased the 30i with automatic nor the 35i without the DCT. In the 30i, I did not get a chance to drive a manual, but I assume be the only way to get the true performance from the 255hp engine is a manual.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0