New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #89
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Is it possible that when the computer senses excessive heat in the engine bay, it turns on the hvac to exhaust heat out of that area?
Not in my experience. Oil temps got to 300F and the HVAC stayed off

Honestly gents, I think some on this thread are having electrical issues that should really be investigated if the cars are "keepers".

I am pretty skeptical of the "heat" related things being discussed in this thread as reasons why the AC is not working. I suspect I have heated up my car's engine as much as possible from high ambient temps and hard driving for long periods and when I go for cool down (driving style and AC setting) the AC will blast cold air despite the high oil temps.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #90
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

^Yes, for me, the heat was never an issue, so the other poster probably has something different from me. Unfortunately, I've had countless dealers/techs look into this prb but no one knows how to fix it and now I'm out of warranty. It's just one of those crazy electric gremlins, which I would compare to some glitch happening to one's computer and somehow restarting it would solve it.

The prb is solved by using the T-Fix and now T-Fix2 so that's something I'll have to keep doing, which is no biggie so I can live w/ that.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 04:58 AM   #91
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post
2011 35i:

So far, I have not had A/C cut-off on me but sort of the reverse, although just once so far.

Driving in 80F-90F+ heat w/ the lid down, I turn the fans "off" completely to keep the residual hot air off the engine from coming out into the cabin.

Last week, on a ~40 minute drive, I turned the HVAC/fan off...only to see a few minutes later they were back "on". Three times I turned the HVAC off, only to have it crank itself back on. May or may not be related to issues herein but thought I'd put it down in case.
I believe this is due to some kind of poor/dirty contact within one of the knobs adjusting the temperature. Just "clean" them a bit by turning both knobs from max to min a few times. Then make sure they both sit securely in a "clicked" position. That is, not in-between two "clicks". Then turn off the A/C completely as you normally would. Now it should stay off.

The reason the A/C turns on is because it thinks someone adjusted one of the temperature knobs. It is programmed to turn on when someone turns a knob. The problem is you did not touch them - so what confuses the electronics? Well, it is probably a combination of vibrations and dirt underneath the knobs. It is a new design for the Z4, so the quality is probably thereafter...

I used to have the exact same problem as you until I turned the knobs a bit back and forth. Now the problem is gone.
Appreciate 0