New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Tuning COBB VS ESS

No, this isn't a thread about who's better or who produces more HP or more TQ. Thank god! This is a thread just to give my impressions on the two tunes since I recently changed from a ESS stage 2 tune to give COBB stage 2+ tune a chance.

Having the ESS tune was awesome coming from stock. Very easy to figure out and easy to install. There was more stuff to bring along though to every swap (my laptop). But I have nothing but praises for ESS.

The Cobb software was at first kind of confusing until I realized I didn't have to install the maps as it came with the maps preinstalled. The instruction manual is lacking but their video step by step was good. It was a much faster tune and reflash than ESS and less equipment to lug around to swap tunes (just need the accessport).

My first impressions is that as soon as I swapped the ESS for the COBB was that the power was more smooth. The engine felt smoother and for some reason the car even sounded a little louder. At first I thought the car had lost power with such a smooth tune but then realized I would get to my top speed just as quick. So now the verdict is out. ESS felt good but was less "linear" if that made sense.

Having the flexibility to swap tunes quickly, I have to give one up for the COBB. Now I can also finally dyno both tunes and see which really does give more power.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Thanks for sharing!

Would you agree that OEM is also smoother and louder than the ESS tune? Or is it different with the COBB?

When you talk about smoothness do you mean the power delivery over different rpms at WOT? Or in how it reacts to throttle inputs? I mean for instance, if the car is more responsive, it might feel less smooth. As in normal vs sport mode.

I am no expert, and I dont know exactly how our turbos are managed by the ECU, but I wonder if ESS has implemented at higher base level for the boost in order to decrease turbo lag and improve responsiveness. That might explain why the sound is more muted, and and why the engine is less smooth. I dont know, but there must be a simple technical explanation. Especially the slightly muted sound must have happened as a side effect of doing something else. Why would they mute it on purpose?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Would you agree that OEM is also smoother and louder than the ESS tune? Or is it different with the COBB?

When you talk about smoothness do you mean the power delivery over different rpms at WOT? Or in how it reacts to throttle inputs? I mean for instance, if the car is more responsive, it might feel less smooth. As in normal vs sport mode.

I am no expert, and I dont know exactly how our turbos are managed by the ECU, but I wonder if ESS has implemented at higher base level for the boost in order to decrease turbo lag and improve responsiveness. That might explain why the sound is more muted, and and why the engine is less smooth. I dont know, but there must be a simple technical explanation. Especially the slightly muted sound must have happened as a side effect of doing something else. Why would they mute it on purpose?
With the OEM, it felt that the car was tamed a bit. It never wowed me but it could have been because I was coming from an M3 E92. Then when I got the ESS, car felt more loose. A lot more pick me up not just on WOT but at steady acceleration. The reaction was jumpy a little bit when I stepped on it, but it could be the turbo lag. However, I did upgrade to a forged diverter pipe so I guess the lag could have been worse.

It felt that the ESS had a more sudden burst of speed when I accelerated while the COBB feels more linear. A smooth increase in power, not as much of a burst, even on WOT. That is why I thought I was losing power with COBB but then again, I need to dyno to find out for sure. Timing my 0-60 seems nearly identical to the ESS but the shifts are smoother in the COBB in my opinion.

With the plethora of available maps COBBS has, I am more inclined to stick with cobb than with ESS but of course I'll keep the ESS on the car when I finally decide to sell it in a few years. =)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
It felt that the ESS had a more sudden burst of speed when I accelerated while the COBB feels more linear. A smooth increase in power, not as much of a burst, even on WOT. That is why I thought I was losing power with COBB but then again, I need to dyno to find out for sure.
Thanks for explaining. Here is a response I got from ESS.

There are over 50 different changes in the control software including vanos programming to improve responsiveness. The turbos do not generate boost while cruising.

So no detailed technical explanations for what you are experiencing. But the sound differences are probably not related to how the turbos are managed.

BTW when was the last time you had your car walnut blasted? I felt mine was smoother after I had mine cleaned.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Interesting... any reliability differences that you noticed? COBB HQ is local to me, so that would be the obvious choice should I want a tune.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep

I don't remember the last time I had it walnut blasted....that long ago I guess. I don't even know who does walnut blasting around me. What does it do actually? I thought the COBB would blow ESS out of the water (to be honest) but it doesn't. I've been driving with the Cobb for about 1 month now and its fine but nothing spectacularly different with the stage 2 sport tune. I might try aggressive tune and change to 93 gas to see if there is a difference. I'm contemplating changing back to ESS and giving someone else a chance with the COBB since the upgrade wasn't much of an upgrade. Both tunes are good and reliable but I have to give it to COBB for the ease of use. Too bad I got the ESS first and it's married to the car.
Appreciate 0