New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Stuck in Idaho due to RFT Failure & Wheel Crack

Some of you may know that I am on a major trip across the USA (Route 66 then up the Coastal Highway 1 turned back inland in Origin now stuck in Idaho).

The Driver side rear wheel has a 2 inch long crack in it at the tire mounting rim on the inside. A new wheel is on order (should be a day or so until BMW has it).

Well I am stuck here in Idaho due to Wheel failure, RFT failure and premature inside wear of both rear tires.

What would you do?

1) Chance it driving back east (I have 3,000 KM to go) or get new tires?

2) Would you stick with RFT or get regular tires?

3) Have you changed your RFT? if so what did you change them to? I have 19" wheels.

See the pictures of the tire wear (18,000 KM ~ 11,184 Miles) here in the Idaho Album of my trip.

Thank you in advance fellows,

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

http://web.me.com/solgain/Road_Trip_...2_-_Idaho.html

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
I feel for you Rolf, I blew the tires off the back of my M3 in Ritzville a couple of years back and had to stay in Spokane until we could find 19's for the back.

I would stay with the RFT's, 19's are not easy to find in the size we use.

If all you can get is regular tires then try and pick up a Mobility kit, just in case. It will screw up the tire pressure indicators if you have to use it but odds are you won't.

Just a little North of you in Calgary
Ciao,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
I think you should havew BMW giove you a new set of OEM run flatys at their expense !! After you get back you can decide to replace with others and sell the new ones !!

Does the BMW road service covere your hotel and related expenbses due to the breakdown under warranty ????

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeee View Post
I feel for you Rolf, I blew the tires off the back of my M3 in Ritzville a couple of years back and had to stay in Spokane until we could find 19's for the back.

I would stay with the RFT's, 19's are not easy to find in the size we use.

If all you can get is regular tires then try and pick up a Mobility kit, just in case. It will screw up the tire pressure indicators if you have to use it but odds are you won't.

Just a little North of you in Calgary
Ciao,
Mike
Thanks for your reply Mike Much appreciated

I e-mailed pictures to my Service manager and once I get the new wheel I shall have them mount the original tires and head back home, hope I make it. Once home I shall address the issue locally. I am just shocked over the premature inside tire wear after 18,000 KM the trip so far has been superb.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
I think you should havew BMW giove you a new set of OEM run flatys at their expense !! After you get back you can decide to replace with others and sell the new ones !!

Does the BMW road service covere your hotel and related expenbses due to the breakdown under warranty ????
They tell me both here and in Canada, that tires are not a warranty item so no there is no chance they replace them. The wheel is another matter, I'll take it back to Canada then address the warranty issue with the dealer. The dealer wants the wheel back in Canada so they may evaluate it.

Thanks for your reply

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
Two questions Rolf: Is there any way you could prove the rim damage caused the flat ?
and: How much weight do you have in the back that could cause the wheels to camber in Or is it in need of adjustment ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
"Does the BMW road service covere your hotel and related expenbses due to the breakdown under warranty ????"

Not in my experience, I was on the hook for the whole thing. Tires, hotels etc. I didn't have a rim fail though so it could be debatable for Rolf-Dieter if the rim failed frst

...time for the forum lawyers to chime in here...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
HAve a 4-wheel alignment done. If the insides of both rear tires are wearing you likely have too much negative camber.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeee View Post
Two questions Rolf: Is there any way you could prove the rim damage caused the flat ?
and: How much weight do you have in the back that could cause the wheels to camber in Or is it in need of adjustment ?
It is pretty obvious to me (I am a Mechanical Engineer) as well as to the Tire Shop Service Manager/Owner that checked the wheel for leaks that the crack is the cause that the tire does not hold the pressure. The crack runs transverse from the axel and is located on the inside of the outer wheel rim (I will take pictures tomorrow of the rim or the next day whenever the new wheel arrives). You see on each rotation of the wheel the crack opens and lets a bit of air escape. My first alarm was yesterday evening. I carry a good tire pressure gauge with me at all times. So I found the tire needing air (it was down to 20 PSI before I got the warning). I added air to 42 PSI had supper and checked it again still okay. Then drove another 200 miles and this morning I had the warning again. That is when I went to the tire shop and found the crack.

The weight in the back is minimal. I travel very light. I think the wheel has original defect and I will prove that by taking it back to Canada and checking it by UT and NDE. I estimate my back luggage weight and a very small cooler to be no more then 150 pounds, evenly distributed under the protective roof cover.

I think it is an original alignment problem, I don't see other people complaining about premature inside tire wear after 18,000 KM that would be unheard of. My thoughts anyway. I assure you I will raise a stink with BMW on this one.

I hope this clears it somewhat.

Cheers and thanks for your input.

Rolf-Dieter

PS as for what part of any of this will be covered by BMW we shall see as time goes on

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
HAve a 4-wheel alignment done. If the insides of both rear tires are wearing you likely have too much negative camber.
Thank you for your input!

I agree with you, I will get the wheel mounted and before I mount new tires I will get that done and I will be watching them do it too

Thanks again,

Cheers

Rolf-Dieter

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

See my 2 cents on the "other forum". I won't cross post here but good luck during the remainder of your trip.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 2009 SDrive23i

Good luck Rolf, you've been a mine of sage advice on this forum. My knowledge is somewhat limited compared to others, including yourself, here; but it would seem to me you have an exceptional case and therefore the question 2) Would you stick with RFT or get regular tires should be almost irrelevant for future conduct.

The RFTs themselves are not the problem or many more of us would be reporting it, seems apparent that it is a unique problem of the wheel itself or the alignment. If cost is any issue, personally I would be looking to keep the RFTs.

Best of luck with the results. Hope it gets solved swiftly enough to become anecdote material rather than full blown misery!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamman69 View Post
Best of luck with the results. Hope it gets solved swiftly enough to become anecdote material rather than full blown misery!
I am told that the light aluminum wheels are very susceptible to sustain a crack when going thru a pot hole. I do have to admit having driven so far over 10,000 KM on this trip I did go thru a few pot holes. However the wheel does not show any sign of damage other then the crack I described before.

There was a man at BMW with a similar problem then mine, he is driving an X5 he hit a rock that pierced thru the mid section of his left front tire damaging the tire and creating a dent in the center of the rim that then came too close to the brake caliper. He said the RFT may have saved his life. So something else to think about.

I will properly change to None RFT as soon as I get home. My service manager at home recommended to add about 10% more tire pressure then spec on the way home with the tires as they are. He is very knowledgeable and I trust his judgement.

Thanks for caring and Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
See my 2 cents on the "other forum". I won't cross post here but good luck during the remainder of your trip.
Done and Thanks

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Rolf,
A few extra PSI will help get the edges off the pavement. Just don't exceed the max pressure on the tire. Best of luck. Keep us posted on the alignment issues.

Cheap insurace for all to have the alignment checked. By the time you begin to see uneven tire wear it's usually too late.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #16
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
Rolf,
A few extra PSI will help get the edges off the pavement. Just don't exceed the max pressure on the tire. Best of luck. Keep us posted on the alignment issues.

Cheap insurace for all to have the alignment checked. By the time you begin to see uneven tire wear it's usually too late.
Thanks, and yes you are quite right about that.

PS. I posted this thread so that everyone driving a Z keeps an eye on the air pressure and tire wear. I do on the air pressure check it quite often, never did I think of getting on the pavement and looking under the car from now on I shall use my digital camera as my eyes and check it at the same time I check my air pressure Besides I am too old to get down on the floor might never get up again :rofl:

Hope the new wheel arrives by overnight delivery or I'll be drinking more beer as i am now and enjoying a pizza

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #17
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Sorry to hear of yoru troubles Rolf - good luck with the repairs and the rest of the journey.

Your dilemma was one of my major fears with the 30 profile tyres on the 19" rims - the dealer here sold me a tyre and rim insurance pack for 3 years of coverage that will replace one wheel rim and tyre a year - all for the price of one tyre.
It even covers the rim damage if I scrape a curve (heaven forbid).
Great value in my book - backed by BMW financial services so I imagine it is available worldwide...
(and I have no financial interest in making this recommendation)

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Sorry to hear of yoru troubles Rolf - good luck with the repairs and the rest of the journey.
Thanks for the heads up

Hope you never have to use your insurance.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #19
Mr Breeze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Bummer about the wheel/tire issue. I have nothing to contribute in that regard, just my good karma for a quick repair and a safe, fun and trouble-free remainder of your trip. I've been enjoying your posts and pics as you progress from state to state.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #20
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

So you suspect that a mis-alignment is the main cause? Do you think a pothole did that damage? Would having 18"s lessen this prb?

Hope all goes well in the end and enjoy your beer and pizza!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #21
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
So you suspect that a mis-alignment is the main cause? Do you think a pothole did that damage? Would having 18"s lessen this prb?

Hope all goes well in the end and enjoy your beer and pizza!
18" rims and 35/40 profile tyres will hive you literally an extra 1/2" of compression in the tyre before you damage the rims above and beyond that of the 30/35 profile on the 19" wheels.

Statistically you will therefore survive more jolts from potholes - but the bigger / deeper ones hit at higher speeds will still ruin just about any wheel.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #22
siscobmw
freude am fahren ....scheiden freude...
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive30i tiefseeblau

I have 3 friends with 2 z4 and 19", a friend with 23i and 18" and some friend of the bmw club with e92 and 19"...now we learned that 19" equipped cars have this bad tire wear.
maybe cause 19" wheels are wider than 18s.....that half an inch more at rear could be the culprit....

anyway the most mileage done by my friend with rear tires is 24k kms,a 320d 204bhp owner....
my other friend with his 335i cabrio and 18" wheels did 38k kms.....and tires wore really well...
Appreciate 0