New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-17-2017, 09:08 PM   #23
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
I absolutely hate the digital cluster. Round analog gauges were one of the most attractive features of the interior.

This has nothing to do with weight reduction and everything to do with reducing manufacturing costs, therefore increasing profit margins, while increasing the price, a nice double whammy!

I guess I'll hold onto my old 3 series for as long as possible. Call me a caveman, suits me just fine.
I thought i was going to read all pro cluster comments, iwas about to get mad. Thanks for showing there are still some people who hate these like me. They look flat, and I have to imagine will also be painful to look at for any ride longer than 10 minutes. We stare at LCDbscreens so much these days, now our cars have to be one?! This is being forced down our throats, audi s4 makes this standard. I hate it so much. Sadly 9/10 people are for these things, so like manual transmissions, dial guages are gone soon. Sucks
The new generation likes this sort of stuff at least that's what our focus groups show, the old style gauges where just like you said old school and kids growing up with their cell phones and such see this as just a natural thing.

I agree their is a place but we loose out to the masses and the ever changing market.

Cars will eventually be more computer than car in the near future, their already pretty much their and once you loose the ability to control it yourself well that's a pretty sad day! But the truth is the auto enthusiast is really a small percentage unfortunately.
Very true
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #24
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I absolutely hate the digital cluster. Round analog gauges were one of the most attractive features of the interior.

This has nothing to do with weight reduction and everything to do with reducing manufacturing costs, therefore increasing profit margins, while increasing the price, a nice double whammy!

I guess I'll hold onto my old 3 series for as long as possible. Call me a caveman, suits me just fine.
I thought i was going to read all pro cluster comments, iwas about to get mad. Thanks for showing there are still some people who hate these like me. They look flat, and I have to imagine will also be painful to look at for any ride longer than 10 minutes. We stare at LCDbscreens so much these days, now our cars have to be one?! This is being forced down our throats, audi s4 makes this standard. I hate it so much. Sadly 9/10 people are for these things, so like manual transmissions, dial guages are gone soon. Sucks
I don't hate progress but there has to be a better way. For example the newer headlights such as LEDs and the laser prototypes are stellar. But then the hydraulic steering is gone and some fcuk nut engineer is trying to convince you that exhaust sound piped in through the speakers is the way to go. Man, those volume knob revs will be a killer!!

Next, off to turbos thanks to a misguided EPA/regulations.

WTF??

/end rant
Yea it's also unfortunate about that but also with the advanced sound deadening material and sound deadening glass used the exhaust note would be nothing so the engineers made the sound virtually to get back some of what was lost.

The shitty thing is they see it as not everybody wants to hear their exhaust every time, some like their car quiet, it's also a battle we face when we design the next generation, the drivers car is getting harder to justify as more and more people was soft riding style. Every day i go to work wanting to design something I want to drive I get reminded that I'm not designing for me I'm designing for the customer.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #25
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
No digital display for the M3/4?
      01-18-2017, 03:09 AM   #26
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

I wouldn't be too worried about losing the analog cluster, knowing BMW they will keep the digital as an (expensive) option for some time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Apparently not.
Appreciate 2
lawgone63.50
Powaup1252.00
      01-18-2017, 03:21 AM   #27
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

It's kind of a mixed bag with the digital instruments - looks kind of awesome the way it's done on the G30 (and now F3x) but somehow I don't really see the benefit besides flexibility - not as nice as traditional dials when the traditional view is what you want and we have a big LCD in the iDrive screen anyway...

Hate the full computer-screen-navi-thing Audi is doing - just doesn't look classy at all..
      01-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #28
BMWjunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 Avus Blue/Sakhir full

Nobody's mentioning the new iDrive screens in the F3x/F8x starting in March. My M3 is 2 months old with iDrive 5.0 - will I be able to upgrade the software? The hardware was new as of July 2016!
BMWCCA #156196 since 5/1998
Current - F80 Avus Blue/SO - ED in Nov 2016 - Bootmod3 and BSW Stage1/Ghost Subs/Amp, '13 Ferrari 458 Italia, '17 X6M (wife's!)
Past - '12 X5 35i, '13 335i EBII/Black M-Sport PPK, '10 335i M-Sport, '03 M5, '02 530ia M-Sport, '01 330i Sport 5spd, '01 540ia M-sport (RIP), '97 M3, '96 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #29
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiman View Post
I wouldn't be too worried about losing the analog cluster, knowing BMW they will keep the digital as an (expensive) option for some time..

Apparently not.
So true. I can see it now. To get the digital display, garage door opener, and stereo volume knob you have to buy the Executive Plus package for an additional $6,500.
Appreciate 1
lawgone63.50
      01-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #30
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Would probably cost too design much game given the volume of the cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #31
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

I thought I preferred the analogue into I drove the new A4. In person it looks so nice and allows so many configuration options.
      01-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #32
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
It's kind of a mixed bag with the digital instruments - looks kind of awesome the way it's done on the G30 (and now F3x) but somehow I don't really see the benefit besides flexibility - not as nice as traditional dials when the traditional view is what you want and we have a big LCD in the iDrive screen anyway...

Hate the full computer-screen-navi-thing Audi is doing - just doesn't look classy at all..
Test drive it and then see how you feel. I liked it way more than I thought I would.
      01-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #33
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Aha, so the 3 Series does get the new digital gauge cluster as well.
I hope they're making better use of the space than those displayed options. New platform old metaphors. They should be able to do much more interesting and ergonomic things than that. It'd be interesting if someone could write custom skins for the dash tapping into the PIDs and framing the metaphors. The information has been in OBD readers and phone/tablet apps for several years.
This. I'm wondering what will be in the middle of the clusters...anything? Google Earth like Audi would be nice. It looks so amazing in that car and is very useful.
      01-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #34
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't hate progress but there has to be a better way. For example the newer headlights such as LEDs and the laser prototypes are stellar. But then the hydraulic steering is gone and some fcuk nut engineer is trying to convince you that exhaust sound piped in through the speakers is the way to go. Man, those volume knob revs will be a killer!!

Next, off to turbos thanks to a misguided EPA/regulations.

WTF??

/end rant
Yea it's also unfortunate about that but also with the advanced sound deadening material and sound deadening glass used the exhaust note would be nothing so the engineers made the sound virtually to get back some of what was lost.

The shitty thing is they see it as not everybody wants to hear their exhaust every time, some like their car quiet, it's also a battle we face when we design the next generation, the drivers car is getting harder to justify as more and more people was soft riding style. Every day i go to work wanting to design something I want to drive I get reminded that I'm not designing for me I'm designing for the customer.
Completely understood.
I ran to Porsche for the "grand finale," as I see it, to enjoy a 3.8L NA motor with a thunderous, and real, induction noise/exhaust combo. I do wish I could rip out the hydraulic steering of the 3er and install it in the Porsche. As good as their electric steering is, it still doesn't compare to the hydraulic unit.

Appealing to the kids is great, abandoning the core enthusiasts sad, if inevitable.

Millennials are not into cars so what happens when sales continue to decline and the disenchanted enthusiasts aren't biting? Enter non-ownership related mobility services and the like.

Autonomous driving is the brain child of government regulation and insurance companies. Can't argue with reducing accidents, asserting greater control and monitoring, while reducing liability costs.

Enjoy your current cars while they last, kids!
This 39yr old will rip the P car and the DD 3er got a Performance Exhaust, lotsa cheap fun.

TTFN
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #35
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Audi's digital dash adds loads of functionality by rendering navigation. This just looks like digital versions of analogue gauges, except far more tacky in appearance.

I predict this style will wear about as well as the old C4 gauge cluster...
Attached Images

01-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #36
BMWalltheway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440xi GC AW/CR

I get the old schoolness about loving the analogue cluster. But just like the masses don't use an analogue watch to tell time and simply whip out their smart phones, cars will inevitably go that route. But analogue hand watches still exist and sell and there will still be car companies making "old school" cars. Sadly, I don't think BMW will be one of them.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #37
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

i guess i'm in the new school group but i love the digital gauges. the only thing i would hate is if they only had a numeric display for speed, so keeping the analog look for many of the gauges is the best of both worlds imo.

it looks much cleaner when the car is turned off as well. having a rectangular display that was off to one corner of the cluster looked pretty awkward.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #38
pemz
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F30 ... G30 soon

What I don't understand is that 520D EDE is more expensive than a normal 520D. EDE used to be always little bit cheaper.
      01-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #39
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
The digital cluster shown here is from the i8, which works for the design language of that car. If done right, the digital display in a 3 or 5er can still look classy while offering some great features in customisation.

The article says you can choose what info you want displayed, so maybe we can finally get oil temp and/or pressure in sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #40
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWalltheway View Post
I get the old schoolness about loving the analogue cluster. But just like the masses don't use an analogue watch to tell time and simply whip out their smart phones, cars will inevitably go that route. But analogue hand watches still exist and sell and there will still be car companies making "old school" cars. Sadly, I don't think BMW will be one of them.
That is why I wear an analog watch (SS Daytona) and drive a GTS. I should be OK for the next ten years. At least!
And yes, I did work hard to get both.
May be the fact that I just turned 60 explains such traditional tastes...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #41
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

More info about the upcoming M4 CS yet?
Just wondering if it will have the water injection system and more power than the competition package.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #42
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemz View Post
What I don't understand is that 520D EDE is more expensive than a normal 520D. EDE used to be always little bit cheaper.
Probably because it is automatic only unlike the normal 520d.
Appreciate 0