New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

***Help me spec my 2011 Z4 35i!***

I'm about to buy and want your opinions on how to spec my car. For sure I'm getting the:
-DCT

but wondering if the following are worth considering?
-Nav pkg
-alarm system
-wind deflector
-auto dimming mirror (+pwr folding mirrors)
-servotronic
-Adaptive M Suspension

What are the *must haves*?

I don't think I want the total Exec pkg.

Thanks!

Last edited by tranquility; 07-14-2010 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

I would not order without the nav package and the adapive m suspension. The auto dimming mirrors would also be on my list. You could possibly live without the nav system, although you get the idrive which is neat, but under no circumstances omit the adaptive suspension.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Ours will have Premium Pack, Sport Pack, Premium Sound, Nav, 326 wheels, cold weather pack.

I wish we could piece it together individually rather than the package bundles.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
Darbs330
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
I would not order without the nav package and the adapive m suspension. The auto dimming mirrors would also be on my list. You could possibly live without the nav system, although you get the idrive which is neat, but under no circumstances omit the adaptive suspension.
I agree completely.

I could, however, live without...

-alarm system
-wind deflector

... and, infact, I have.

Not on your list is the Premium Sound upgrade - I think that's a must.

Lastly, I didn't know that "servotronic" steering was an option - (perhaps in Canada it is).

2011 Z4 sDrive35i - Space Grey/Walnut/Ash Grain/DCT

2004 330ci Convertible - Oxford Green/Sand/Myrtle Wood
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
bill123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35iS

326 alloy's
      07-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Can you elaborate more on the Adaptive M Suspension? I assume you have tested the same car (35i) w/ and w/o this option? How big is the difference? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Add everything but the TV!

But really, when you drive it - it wont matter if you didn't as you will enjoy it in any event!

But... nav is sexy.
iDrive is .... sexy.
PRemium sound is .... loud.
SPorts exhaust (on the 35is) is loud and grumbly - just the way I like it.
Wind deflector - was left at the dealer, I'm stillll thinking about it - looks ugly.
Side badges... left at the dealers. best move I made!
Adaptiv M suspension? good to have, but if you dont have it you wont miss it. I've driven both and I prefer the adaptive, but I could easily live with the standard.
Alarm? who needs it - I shall never be more than 3 metres from its side

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I'm about to buy and want your opinions on how to spec my car. For sure I'm get the:
-DCT

-Nav pkg
-alarm system
-wind deflector
-servotronic
-Adaptive M Suspension

Thanks!
I think the iDrive and Navi are not necessary (I don't have them). I think they are well overpriced. The dash info from the on board computer provides sufficient information to drive this car. I don't think you need the forgoing at great expense (besides many problems have been reported ~ all you need to do is read the forums). We can operate the radio, telephone and CD player without the foregoing. If you need a navigator, the TomTom 902 works well and if you like to update the maps just plug in and go to the TomTom site. Not have your car in the garage again and again and miss all the top down nice driving time

Anyway it is your choice I do recommend you read as many posts on the subject and get feedback before you put your hard earned cash on the table.

Besides, how did our fathers drive? did they all need those gadgets? When you think about it BMW only added all this to stay on even kiel with the Japanese imports. What do you think?

One thing you should do, and that is make sure you order the wheels you like with the car and not change them after you get the car and spend thousands to do so and loose thousands more to sell the OEM wheels like some folks did (as I've read in different forums, what a waste).

In the end it is your call and your's alone.

Happy Motoring!

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
I don't have the adaptive suspension, maybe I'd like it but I'm fine without it.
Don't need the iDrive and Sat nav so I didn't get it, it's a good resale item though.
I would have liked the proximity detectors, too late ot get it now for me..drat!

Wind deflector is a must....had one in the Z3, M3 and won't be without one in the Z4

Everything else is required..... so don't go cheap....go big or go home.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
H-Doc
BMWCCA Member #434186
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35is

Sorry, Rolf, but I think that's bad advice. My last Z4 did not have NAV/iDrive, and I was sure not to make the same mistake with my new ride, and I am glad I didn't. I haven't heard of floods of people having problems with their iDrive- a couple of folks here and there, but it's not really a component which you would expect to have serious problems, as it's primarily software driven, anyway.

The NAV and iDrive are really must haves (Mainly the iDrive, which you can only get with the NAV option- that's why it seems expensive). While you can do SOME things without them, it is nowhere near as easy and full featured as with the iDrive. Not only do you get the added functionality of the iDrive, you also get 12 GB of hard drive space to load up your own music collection (which reminds me, get the iPod integration- though that should come with the premium sound, which is also a must, as stated above).

I'm assuming you'll have the BMW assist, but I'm not sure if you get that north of the border. If so, you can actually send info from Google maps right to your iDrive, where you can load the address to the NAV, or call the place with your bluetooth phone. That's pretty cool, and I have to admit I have already used that feature a lot more than I would have expected.

(And if you don't get BMW assist up there, don't worry. How bad can it be? I mean, you get to live in CANADA, after all...)

While I have not been a huge fan of BMW's Nav system in the past- I've used tom toms, magellan, and garmin products - this new iteration is far superior to anything they've put out recently, and IMHO superior to the Garmin unit my wife is using. You also don't have a power cord hanging in your face and messing with the beautifully designed interior.

Unless you are only planning on dropping the top and enjoying the sound of your new car as you tool through roads of Ontario (that is, if you make calls, listen to music, or take a road trip or two), you'll be wanting that iDrive. Trust me.

As far as the other stuff, I have the PDC and, while it certainly has a great "wow" factor for your passengers, I haven't really found it as useful as I thought I would (of course, I've only had my car for a month, and haven't done a ton of parallel parking). The wind deflector you can always add later- I didn't get it initially, but am thinking I may bite the bullet soon on that. At least it's easy to yank off and store when you don't need it.

I would really reiterate what was already stated above, though. This is an expensive car, an indulgence. Right? Load it up. Don't go nickel and diming yourself (hope that reference carries north of the border, as well) over options you'll regret not having later. It will help the resale down the road, and add to your enjoyment in the short run. If you're looking at a 35i, along with DCT and M suspension, note that the 35is comes with those standard- which makes the price difference between the two not as bad (at least down here). Just something else to consider...

Good luck!

2011 E89 Z4 sDrive35is
2005 E85 Z4 Roadster 2.5i (Retired)

Last edited by H-Doc; 07-06-2010 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Doc View Post
. If you're looking at a 35i, along with DCT and M suspension, note that the 35is comes with those standard- which makes the price difference between the two not as bad (at least down here). Just something else to consider...

Good luck!
Thats why I upgraded my order when the 35is came out (it was a delayed launch down here in Oz)
The extra power I dont really notice (so far no track work and its still a honeymoon) - but you do get a more aggressive steering set up and a much much more agressive exhaust note, with switchable baffles to enhance the sound (do you get these in other markets?).

That made the choice easy (although those who have to have a manual tranny will dissagree... )

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
I'm about to buy and want your opinions on how to spec my car. For sure I'm get the:
-DCT

-Nav pkg
-alarm system
-wind deflector
-servotronic
-Adaptive M Suspension

Thanks!

Must have for Canada -heated seats, IMO. I believe they offer a cold weather package which includes heated seats & steering wheel, & headlight washers. We only went with the heated seats for those cold CA nights & old backs.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
Heated seats and wheel came with one of my packages, the Exec one maybe and a must for up here.

Yes , we do have BMW assist, they bring a dog sled and load it on then drag it to the nearest dealership (in Tuktoyaktuk, yes it's a real place on the Beaufort Sea)...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

The nav is nice if you travel a lot or go to places of interest. Of course any portable unit can do most features but the integration is nice. I use the traffic reports too. The iDrive features with music and iPod integration are a plus as well with the scrollable play lists, etc. Plus the hands free phone and scrollable contacts lists are a benefit with iDrive.

Definitely get the premium sound if you enjoy listening to music at all.

The adjustable suspension allows a decent ride yet an option to firm it up when desired. Although, the base suspension is a good compromise.

I use the parking sensors daily due to backing into a tight garage. If you don't do that, you may not need the option.

Even for Charlotte, I used the heated seats and wheel a LOT this past winter.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
-DCT

-Nav pkg
-alarm system
-wind deflector
-servotronic
-Adaptive M Suspension

Thanks!
-Nav pkg = If you have a Nuvi (it even tells you the street name), no, If you print out too many google maps, yes. No sense for direction, yes.
-alarm system = If you want the noise after break-in yes (no one pays attention these days), if you want the chirp noise when locking and unlocking, yes. Otherwise, useless.
-wind deflector = If you use lots of hairspray, yes. Bedhead, no,
-auto dimming mirror (+pwr folding mirrors) = Really? Nah. Lazy, yes.
-servotronic = yes
-Adaptive M Suspension = I thought this is standard?

My must haves on mine are Sport Package, 6-speed manual & Comfort Access (yeah, I'm lazy to to pull out my keys + got spoiled from having it before). Alpine White & Red Leather are the icing on top of the features. And I personally like and got the 326M wheels after the fact. Oh, and I do like the bun warmers due to the cool weather in the bay area ( I use often).

Last edited by flpnout; 07-06-2010 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #16
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Adaptiv M suspension? good to have, but if you dont have it you wont miss it. I've driven both and I prefer the adaptive, but I could easily live with the standard.
Can you please tell me more about both experiences in detail?

Quote:
While I have not been a huge fan of BMW's Nav system in the past- I've used tom toms, magellan, and garmin products - this new iteration is far superior to anything they've put out recently, and IMHO superior to the Garmin unit my wife is using. You also don't have a power cord hanging in your face and messing with the beautifully designed interior.

Unless you are only planning on dropping the top and enjoying the sound of your new car as you tool through roads of Ontario (that is, if you make calls, listen to music, or take a road trip or two), you'll be wanting that iDrive. Trust me.

I would really reiterate what was already stated above, though. This is an expensive car, an indulgence. Right? Load it up. Don't go nickel and diming yourself (hope that reference carries north of the border, as well) over options you'll regret not having later. It will help the resale down the road, and add to your enjoyment in the short run. If you're looking at a 35i, along with DCT and M suspension, note that the 35is comes with those standard- which makes the price difference between the two not as bad (at least down here). Just something else to consider...

Good luck!
Thanks! I'm still undecided on the nav because I wonder if an aftermkt would not only be cheaper but have better functions? The idrive I'm not too concerned about either since I assume that I must use an ipod in order to run music menus on the nav screen? As for making calls, does the std bluetooth function work for all phones to make calls from the steering wheel? Am I misunderstanding or missing some important features of the nav+idrive?

I'm not worried about resale since I'm keeping this for the car's life.

The gap between 35i and 35is is $15,700. Even if I get the DCT ($1,950), Exec pkg ($2,600), Adaptive M Suspension ($2k), the difference would still be $9,150....and if I make that jump, I'll be thinking about a Cayman and start getting more confused lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Must have for Canada -heated seats, IMO.
Luckily they are std here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
The adjustable suspension allows a decent ride yet an option to firm it up when desired. Although, the base suspension is a good compromise.
So it's worth it for $2,000? The different settings are discernible enough?

Btw, what is a reasonable deal nowadays? Does anyone know the invoice on the 35i or how much discount from MSRP should I be targeting? Thanks again!

Last edited by tranquility; 07-06-2010 at 11:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 01:16 AM   #17
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Sorry, Rolf, but I think that's bad advice. My last Z4 did not have NAV/iDrive, and I was sure not to make the same mistake with my new ride, and I am glad I didn't.
+1

And it's misleading to call it just the "nav package", because iDrive is what you're really getting and there's a lot more than just a navigator in there. Yes, it is very expensive, so I seriously considered not taking it, but when I saw photos of the dashboard without it, I pretty much had no choice. I know it's a matter of taste, but I think the folding compartment that you get if you don't take iDrive looks cheap and ugly. Put a portable navigator in there and you're approaching the Prius territory in terms of ugliness. If I pay 90,000 euro for something it'd better not have wires hanging all over the place and things attached to it with suction cups.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 01:39 AM   #18
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Can you please tell me more about both experiences in detail?
Well, where to start.
The standard suspension is comfortable, yet firm enough to be sporty. On my daily drive route it manages to be far more comfortable than my old car, a Mazda3MPS, while handling the rough roads and tight turns with no dramas and lots of fun.
Far from sweeping you along blissfully unaware of the road it was communicative, and still able to absorb the bumps well without jumping sideways at all (really rough roads here).
As I said, I would be happy living with it.

The bonus of the adaptive are numerous. IT lowers the car which looks good, especially (IMO) with big rims.
The normal/sport/sport+ switch also adapts the damper rates of the shock absorbers, so you get a comfortable, through to tight ride.
I feel the normal mode is softer than the standard springs, sport is close (by the feel of my pants), and its been too wet to give the sports+ a go as yet. (and the dealer was not keen to have me turn off the DSC in his demo car after seeing my efforts on his test track... )
I like the flexibility of the option.
Its smarts for dippign the car into a corner I have not really seen the benefits of, and I have seen some journalists bag the system for this reason as the car is moving one way when they think it shoudl naturally be moving in another (tipping in to a corner instead of rolling out).

Will your dealer source a car with both systems and let you drive them back to back? I would suggest you need to be really hammering it to feel the advaantages in Sports, but as I said, it feels more comfortable to me in Normal than the standard suspension.
(Of course that only happens when I forget to switch it into Sports the second I start it up... I need more practice)

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 02:16 AM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

^Thanks, I guess it's good to have, but on the other hand, also not a big deal if I cannot get it. I asked my dealer but will see if I can try one w/ and one w/o.

EDIT: anyone have comments on the servotronic? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 04:58 AM   #20
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
^Thanks, I guess it's good to have, but on the other hand, also not a big deal if I cannot get it. I asked my dealer but will see if I can try one w/ and one w/o.

EDIT: anyone have comments on the servotronic? Thanks.
What is a servotronic? Is that what they call the auto in the US?
Over here they call it the steptronic.... Or is Servotronic something else?

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #21
Darbs330
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
What is a servotronic?
Servotronic.
Effortless agility when parking, light-footed responsiveness and stability at higher speeds: Servotronic adjusts the amount of steering assistance to suit the current speed, enhancing driver comfort by lowering the effort needed to turn the steering wheel.

The Servotronic control unit adjusts the amount of steering assistance to suit the speed of the vehicle. An electromagnetic valve accurately controls the amount of force applied by the steering hydraulics, enabling outstandingly precise steering that suits your current driving situation. Conventional power steering systems, by contrast, regulate the power steering in relation to the engine's RPM. The electromechanical steering system EPS uses an electric motor to achieve the same effect.
Thanks to Servotronic, driving along narrow streets or parking becomes easier as it requires minimum effort to turn the steering wheel. The power assist progressively decreases when the vehicle speeds up, ensuring greater stability, improved precision and smoother vehicle behaviour.

(Also Known As: Active Steering )

2011 Z4 sDrive35i - Space Grey/Walnut/Ash Grain/DCT

2004 330ci Convertible - Oxford Green/Sand/Myrtle Wood
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #22
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
In the U.S. the price difference between invoice and MSRP is roughly $5k. Invoice plus $1k would be a good deal. I had one dealer quote me invoice plus $500. I would have to fly to pick it up so no real savings over the other offers.
Appreciate 0