New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

New, Gen V viper vs ZR1 by MT

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...srt_viper_gts/

I have to say somewhat unexpected. The SRT guys had a few years to beat the ZR1. I thought the the Viper would be epic even thought about getting one. Not so sure...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...srt_viper_gts/

I have to say somewhat unexpected. The SRT guys had a few years to beat the ZR1. I thought the the Viper would be epic even thought about getting one. Not so sure...
Sure the ZR-1 might be faster on the track, but when people see a Vette on the road, it barely gets the kind of attention the Viper does. So unless you bought a Viper and ONLY drove it on the track, then all these lap times, skid pad performance figures, etc are kinda moot. Buying the car to enjoy it on the road, as long as it makes you happy and enjoy it, that's all that matters.

If you were planning on just racing it, well then I can't help you there, lol. Corvette has had a bit more practice in that regard.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Sure the ZR-1 might be faster on the track, but when people see a Vette on the road, it barely gets the kind of attention the Viper does. So unless you bought a Viper and ONLY drove it on the track, then all these lap times, skid pad performance figures, etc are kinda moot. Buying the car to enjoy it on the road, as long as it makes you happy and enjoy it, that's all that matters.

If you were planning on just racing it, well then I can't help you there, lol. Corvette has had a bit more practice in that regard.
That is the beauty of the Corvette!! You can drive it everywhere without the unwanted attention! I cannot drive the GT3RS (or any P car) to work. You got questions and glances at the gas station for god sake. In the ZR1, just a vette.

By the way there is some "explaining" going on at the Viper forums, calling Randy a "clown" etc.
Just reading the Viper forums is one huge push against ordering the car!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Dont pay mind to them. They are looking like a bunch of babies crying about the loss and complaining about Pobst's driving. What a joke.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

You should have read some of the posts when he tracked the M3 & Mustang GT back-to-back. Some guy was complaining that Micheal Schumacher should have driven them.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Wow! Even the Z06 posted a quicker time than the new Viper! Very impressive.

In the end, the ZR1 will still be more livable for everyday use with the magnetic ride control. You can also run under the radar with the Vette.

The new Viper is very sharp and looks much better than the old one. I like it a lot. Will be interesting to see what the C7 Vette will be in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

The article was very short... They both preferred the Vette by the smallest of margins, but to be honest, the ZR1 is a ridiculously amazing car. The Viper is juuuust below it. I'd still take the Viper, because it represents something a little more primal and aggressive than the Vette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Just reading the Viper forums is one huge push against ordering the car!
EVERY car forum has users that show their collective ass when a magazine prints something that paints their car as less than a competitor's, lol. Not isolated to Vipers by any means. You should know this.
Appreciate 0