New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
shadowfax777
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport

Is Adaptive M Sport suspension a must-have option?

I own a facelift 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85). and think the firm suspension is excellent (my zed has 108 wheels with Bridgestone RF tyres).

I am now looking for E89, but very very few AUC have Adaptive M Sport suspension (only 4 Crimson Red have it). I did test drive a 30i with normal suspension, and felt the suspension on E89 was really softer. The route of the test drive was not familiar, so I could not really compare.

Will E89 with normal suspension not handle as sharp as E85 sport model? Did anyone here have E85 Sport in the past and now have E89 without Adaptive M Sport suspension?

I think if I buy a used E89 with normal suspension now, I may have to upgrade to non-adaptive M Sport suspension (standard on M Sport model from April 2010) in the near future.

Your opinion will be very appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i

Best bet is attempt to try out the difference yourself. Its a nice to have the option, but you also see people swapping out their springs and have good results.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
mav5125
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

If your use to the suspension on the old z4 then I suggest that you get the option. The suspension on the e85 is harder then the standard sspension on the e89. However when you put the e89 into sport the suspension will change to one that is a bit harder than the standard in the e85.

So the idea is that it is more livable day to day but can get sporty when you need it to.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Used to have the Z4 2.5si with the M suspension and 17" wheels (RFT). I would definitely recommend getting the adaptive M suspension for E89. I have now 19" wheels (RFT) in my E89, and even in Sport+ it feels less bumpy on bad roads, and there's also probably more body roll.

I switch between Normal and Sport+ many times every day mainly depending on my mood and how smooth the road ahead is. The difference is very clear, much more so than what the Sport button does in your E85. If you can afford this option then definitely go for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
bill123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
Used to have the Z4 2.5si with the M suspension and 17" wheels (RFT). I would definitely recommend getting the adaptive M suspension for E89. I have now 19" wheels (RFT) in my E89, and even in Sport+ it feels less bumpy on bad roads, and there's also probably more body roll.

I switch between Normal and Sport+ many times every day mainly depending on my mood and how smooth the road ahead is. The difference is very clear, much more so than what the Sport button does in your E85. If you can afford this option then definitely go for it.
+1
      04-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

It is great for daily driving as around town and for travel you can have it in normal/comfort mode and then go to sport or sport+ for real fun; however, if it were my car and not my wife's, I would not get it and instead install a high end coil over system. I am kind of aggressive. So, if you have no intention of modifying the stock suspension, then I would buy the adaptive suspension. If you like modding, then go without it and add some H&R goodies.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
clwwong
Private
Rep
Drives: cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
It is great for daily driving as around town and for travel you can have it in normal/comfort mode and then go to sport or sport+ for real fun; however, if it were my car and not my wife's, I would not get it and instead install a high end coil over system. I am kind of aggressive. So, if you have no intention of modifying the stock suspension, then I would buy the adaptive suspension. If you like modding, then go without it and add some H&R goodies.
I am totally agreed
Appreciate 0