New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M4 2018

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Rebuild a newly built Z4?

Bad news just came in........no delivery week 15. The car is in Sweden and have got its plates and is ready for transport to Stockholm. BMW says 10-12 workingdays before I can get it! 22-23 of april, What would cause 10-12 days to delivery? Repaint? engine swap? I'm sure as he.. it doesn't take days to clean the car..............what has happened? I need my shrink!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
EandS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Don't know if Sweden has such a thing as the equivalent of the California Air Resources Board, but our custom ordered 2010 was one of the first, if not the first, of that model year to be unloaded in the USA and it sat for weeks in a BMW depot because of a bureaucratic screw up with the California Air Resources Board. Please note our car was offloaded in South Carolina and we live in North Carolina. Damn useless bureaucrats.

Best regards,
Ed
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EandS View Post
Don't know if Sweden has such a thing as the equivalent of the California Air Resources Board, but our custom ordered 2010 was one of the first, if not the first, of that model year to be unloaded in the USA and it sat for weeks in a BMW depot because of a bureaucratic screw up with the California Air Resources Board. Please note our car was offloaded in South Carolina and we live in North Carolina. Damn useless bureaucrats.

Best regards,
Ed
Hi Ed,
I know what you are saying about bureau-crazy but Sweden is a member of EU so if it's ok in Germany it's ok in any other member-state. And it's got it's registration number and plates. Loading/offloading = 2 days, detailing 2 days? still 8 workingdays I can't figure out. I will go there unannouced to see what the holdups are. I really don't want a "fixed" car.

Love your clean car, love your carlift. only little envy!

BR
Shadow4

Last edited by SHADOW4; 04-09-2010 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I am sure this has not happened to your car but my wife's first 2009 Z4 35i was in fact wrecked in port when it arrived here in the US from Germany (to add to the pain we took Welt delivery of the car and drove it around Europe for 9 days on a second honeymoon). We were not told why it took 6 weeks to get the car from the New Jersey/US port to us in Texas but it turns out they did repair it and did NOT tell us about it, which is why it took us so long to get the car. thankfully BMW replaced the car with a new 2010 Z4 35i but not until 3 months of struggling with them and lots of heart ache. I just want to say again, thanks BMW NA for making it right once you were made aware of the situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Vintage, how did you ultimately find out about the damage? What made it so severe that BMW agreed to give you another car?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Vintage, how did you ultimately find out about the damage? What made it so severe that BMW agreed to give you another car?
I took delivery of the car at the dealer and went straight home to wash and detail the vehicle by my hand. Upon washing, I discovered that our JET Black Z4 now had a SAPPHIRE Black right rear view mirror - mysterious. That prompted me to go right back up to the dealer and ask a lot of questions. My salesmen then pulled up the BMW NA software system for tracking during shipment and a "code" appeared that indicated it in fact had been wrecked in port - he could not "open" the detail sheet because he/dealers no longer have that ability but he did print the sheet to show me the evidence. Then we were off to the races for 3+ months trying to resolve the problem and figure out what happened - to this day we do not know the extent of he damage done in port but the suspension was messed up and some repaint was required. If I had to guess, someone ran the very low car over a curb or obstruction and swiped the mirror front right quarter panel area - but who knows. We are thankful to BMW NA that they honored their commitment to their customers and replaced it with an awesome 2010 Z4 35i. We demanded no extra cash or compensation as we just wanted what we paid for - a new car. They allowed us to pick any new Z4 in country for a collateral swap. The only black/white one with the sport package and premium sound also included a few other goodies, navigation, which was a huge plus. So I went to Cleveland and drove it home to Texas.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Vintage,

I talked with BMW today and asked them about 10-12 days from port to the delivery.
One reason is they want a margin and not promise to deliver the car before they really can do it.

Second, transit is usually 1-2 times a week monday and thursday and they don't really know what cars are in the tube until they are loadad, that is another 4 days so...................

Then there are programming the Swedish setups, updating the firmware, cleaning and waxing.

I am going to accept this for my own pease of mind and will asume that they would tell me if something out of normal should happend.

I really don't want to go thru what you did Vintage, my summer-plan includes a lot of driving thru Scandinavia.

Son, Sun and Fun(Z4)! And summer is short in the north.

Last edited by SHADOW4; 04-10-2010 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Shadow - as long as it is only 2 weeks instead of 5 or 6 I am sure you will be fine. Plus, our Z4 had to go through the New Jersey port facility and processing center, which appears to be a bad place to have your BMW imported (see bimmerpost home page about the 6 stolen auto show bound BMWs)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW4 View Post
I really don't want to go thru what you did Vintage, my summer-plan includes a lot of driving thru Scandinavia.
I think what BMW told you sounds very plausible. Stop worrying, you're almost there
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
Shadow - as long as it is only 2 weeks instead of 5 or 6 I am sure you will be fine. Plus, our Z4 had to go through the New Jersey port facility and processing center, which appears to be a bad place to have your BMW imported (see bimmerpost home page about the 6 stolen auto show bound BMWs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
I think what BMW told you sounds very plausible. Stop worrying, you're almost there
Thanks guys!

Yes, I'm going crazy with this waiting. Actually it's only 4 more days as week 15 ends 18/4 (in Sweden anyway), but I'm running out of ideas to make the time go faster.

I so want to meet the beautie!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i