New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Mr Breeze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

So long Z4, Hello Boxster S

It's been 2 years since taking delivery on my 35is, and while I've loved the car, there were a couple things that were the catalyst to make a change.
1) I never found myself loving the DCT. There is no doubt it is an amazing piece of engineering, the shifts are lightning fast, and the ability in full manual mode to hold it in a gear without it upshifting were pluses, but I found that there was a bit of a lag when in normal driving - rolling stops, or lower speed turns under light acceleration. I had the dealership check it out, and re-install the mapping, but it never really went away.
2) Along with #1, I was feeling a bit "disconnected" not driving a manual transmission. Between several motorcycles, and previously owning an M3 (and other sports cars with manual trans) there is something to be said for the interactivity that comes with a manual transmission. Now I don't blame that on the car - after all it was my choice to go with the 35is in order to get a few more horsepower and all the "M" stuff - and the 35is only came with the DCT.
3) The run-flat tires. I knew that the 19" 35 series tires would be firm, but as discussed many times here, the run-flats just ruined what little ride there was. I knew I'd be changing these out when they worn more, but with only 11,000 miles, it seemed wasteful to replace them.
4) Porsche re-designs the Boxster. Now everyone is going to have their opinion, but I feel they have finally made the Boxster a car that I could own. While I absolutely love the look of the Z4, and think it is a far better looking (not to mention more attention-getting) than the Boxster, the Porsche does (to me) feel better when driving it.

So I'm trading in the Zed4 on a 2013 Porsche Boxster S with a 6 speed manual transmission. Will be built sometime in late Sept and will have it in late Oct (which is perfect weather here in AZ)

I put the Roadster Solutions wind screen that I just installed a couple months ago up on the classified section if anyone is interested.

Going to miss the Zed and this great forum.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
E36ic4Me
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 & M3 Convertible

I've owned two Boxsters in the past and they are fantastic machines. In the past, I've often thought of getting another one.

Yeah, the DCT was definitly 'your fault' (lol). I would never in a million years consider buying a sports car with anything but a conventional manual. The idea of hoping in a shapely, road hugging roadster and putting it into 'D' makes me absolutely cringe.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
javol
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT

Beautiful car the Boxster S 2013.

I had a 2010 Cayman S PDK before switching to the Z, so i can say that i "know" the baby Porsche.

Boxster S vs Z4 35 (for me):

PROS: Way better handling, better brakes, better finish, 2012 project.

CONS: Less unique look, soft top, lack of low-end torque. The N54, especially if a bit tuned, is a beast.

For what concern DCT (DKG) or PDK, IMO they work more or less the same and do it fantastic, ESPECIALLY IN MANUAL SPORT MODE.

With the introduction of the last generation of dual clutch ATs, i'll never go back to MT.
2012 Z4 35i DCT Black/Beige - 20" Vossen CV3, PB-Brake BBK, ///M Front Bumper, ///M Steering Wheel, Led Angel Eyes, Black Grille, Short Antenna - Tuning: JB4 Map 2, Custom Made 3" DPs & MPs, BMS Dual Intake - Desire list: 3D Design Front Lip, Meth Kit, FMIC.

Last edited by javol; 08-13-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

not a bad move the new Boxster look way better than the previous one, but i'm sure you're gone miss the hardtop it is a shame you did'nt buy a manual Z the first time I still love mine and dont want to trade it so far. Good luck and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

boxster much improved and looks great. Would I go back to a manual in traffic again? Not a chance. Love the dct. Just my preference. Always ended up selling my manual cars after I got bored with rowing through the gears. Both cars are great though. The boxster interior looks great now to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
USE Z4S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Tundra Crewmax Limited

Good choice! Post up some pictures here on your way out.

What color? Any options? Those new Boxsters can hit $80k faster than 0-60
      08-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Mr Breeze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USE Z4S View Post
Good choice! Post up some pictures here on your way out.

What color? Any options? Those new Boxsters can hit $80k faster than 0-60
White (I live in dusty AZ) with black wheels, black top, black interior. You are right, it's pushing 80K with just a few packages and options.

Have always done Black, Red, or Silver - will be my first white car. Was going to do classic silver (similar to my Zed4) but saw a 911 in white with the blacked out wheels that looked awesome - and with the past Boxsters being perceived as somewhat "girly" - thought that no woman would ever do black wheels, so that helps to "man-up" the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Sorry to see you go Scott!

The new Boxster is a nice thing - just not worth the $160K they want for one here...

I definately have to retire to the US so I can live out my car fantasies...

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Mr. Breeze - I almost sold my Z4. When I started getting a couple of offers to buy it, I backed out. I had a hard time parting with mine since I put a lot into it already and practically paid off. I love the manual transmission in this car, however, the stock suspension could have better road handling. So I pulled the trigger and ordered KW v3 coil overs. Just awaiting arrival from Germany. My tuner guy told me that I will definitely love the car even more after I change out the factory suspension. I plan to get rid of the run flats and get it properly corner balanced. He claims I will have much better grip and road feel especially attacking the corners.

Anyways, congrats on the order of your new Boxster S. I once test drove the Cayman S and almost pulled the trigger to order a Cayman R. But after adding all the options, saw the price hike, and the SA wanted $5k down deposit because I wanted to order White with Red interior + 6speed manual, I got turned off. I told the SA, I only had to put a $500 deposit to order a BMW. I was told White with Red interior is not a common order for Porsche and not many customers would want that color combo.
      08-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
nickm9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i - Alpine White

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Mr Breeze

Congrats and happy & safe trails with your new toy No need to be a tranger look at me ,,, I still drop by here and then.

That Porsch is a fine automobile.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
Otago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive 30i manual

z4 is better looking car than boxster inside and out but boxster is more like a performance car than z4. However, the convertible hardtop and trunk space on z4 is far better than boxster. I prefer z4!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
Mr Breeze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Dr Stig and M3RD - Thanks. The forum is bookmarked, so I'll check in every so often. It's been a great resource and fun to share the experience - from watching the build and shipment progress through the discussions about modifications. Still love the brand and still have my BMW K1600 GTL motorcycle.

Flpnout - I totally get where you are at. My intentions were that I'd modify and keep the Z4 for a while - purchased rather than lease - did a few mods, and after a couple years finally have some equity in the car, so it doesn't make financial sense to trade, but hell who are we kidding, these cars are our passions, and making financial sense is low on the list of priorities!

I truly think the Z4 is one of the best looking cars out there. period. To me, far better looking that the Boxster. Considered doing another Z4 - a 35i and in a manual like yours, but I have the opportunity to try something new - having never had a Porsche, it seems like the right time to try one. Before the Z4, I had an SLK AMG 55 - never had a MB before, and glad I did.

I love what you've done with yours - the video is great. The white is striking, and the blacked out kidney grills look great. I'm glad you didn't put on that front plate (I know how California is such a stickler for it). And that exhaust...wicked!
Since you are going to keep it, you might want to consider doing painted white front side markers - I did them on mine, and getting rid of that orange reflector on the wheel arch makes the lines even cleaner.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

I love the new boxster interior. So refined.

If it was a hardtop, I'd take it over the Z4 no question

I used to own a 986 and it was more fun to drive than the z4 in the twisties (though it lacked power).
I just wish it was a hardtop as I'm not a fan of soft top verts for myself
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
nickm9
Private First Class
Rep

It's a great choice of car, so leave feeling you've done the right thing. You can't compare the two cars, and in any head to head the Boxster will come out on top. We're gracious in defeat, and to be honest a little envious!!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Mr. Breeze:
Congrats on the new Boxster. It is a gorgeous car. I cannot say more emphatically that I agree with you on the manual transmission. I am a purist at heart and cannot conceive of driving a sports car without a manual transmission.

I must say, I was tempted to get the dct, as it was the latest technology. I would not order my car until I test drove a Z4 with the dct transmission. I just found it okay, but not as fun as the manual. I knew if I got the car with the dct, I would be regretting not getting a six speed manual once the novelty wore off. I am happy I stayed with the manual. No regrets here.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
Mr Breeze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I love the new boxster interior. So refined.

If it was a hardtop, I'd take it over the Z4 no question

I used to own a 986 and it was more fun to drive than the z4 in the twisties (though it lacked power).
I just wish it was a hardtop as I'm not a fan of soft top verts for myself
Doubt Porsche will make a Boxster hardtop - they are convinced that a roadster needs to be as light as possible, and a soft top gives them that weight savings. Not to mention their "hard-top" Boxster is the Cayman.

I do love the Z4's hardtop - mostly because of the lines and look. I think we can agree that the Z4 looks as good with the top up as it does down. In my opinion, the Boxster looks great with the top down, but less so with the top up. However, my Z4 top does creak once in a while when the top is up - something that I don't think would happen with a soft top, but was never a fan of the past Z3's and Z4's with a soft top.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #18
Mr Breeze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
Mr. Breeze:
Congrats on the new Boxster. It is a gorgeous car. I cannot say more emphatically that I agree with you on the manual transmission. I am a purist at heart and cannot conceive of driving a sports car without a manual transmission.

I must say, I was tempted to get the dct, as it was the latest technology. I would not order my car until I test drove a Z4 with the dct transmission. I just found it okay, but not as fun as the manual. I knew if I got the car with the dct, I would be regretting not getting a six speed manual once the novelty wore off. I am happy I stayed with the manual. No regrets here.
Ya, that was my mistake - going with the DCT. I test drove one before ordering, but I think I was in love with the car, the engineering, and the fact that after having an M3, I wanted my Z4 to have all the "M" stuff that the 35is had, and thus didn't have a choice to go manual. If I were to do it over, I'd go with the 35i and feature it up with M stuff and go with a manual.

I'm off to turn in the keys to the Zed4 and wait for the Boxster S to be built...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #19
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm9 View Post
and to be honest a little envious!!
+1. I am loving my Z but absolutely would have gone for a Boxster S if budget permitted.

Congrats! nice car!

As a very random aside, my brother's Cayman S PDK is the reason I went with a DCT in my Z4. I was absolutely blown away by a mid corner high RPM downshift into 1st that didn't upset the chassis, and perfect rev matched downshifts under max braking. I was saddened to realize the 3 pedal traditional manual was going to become extinct but excited that all out performance was going to be improved by the dual clutch tech. You should at least give the PDK/sport chrono car a try while you can still change your order!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #20
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Breeze View Post

Flpnout - I totally get where you are at. My intentions were that I'd modify and keep the Z4 for a while - purchased rather than lease - did a few mods, and after a couple years finally have some equity in the car, so it doesn't make financial sense to trade, but hell who are we kidding, these cars are our passions, and making financial sense is low on the list of priorities!

I truly think the Z4 is one of the best looking cars out there. period. To me, far better looking that the Boxster. Considered doing another Z4 - a 35i and in a manual like yours, but I have the opportunity to try something new - having never had a Porsche, it seems like the right time to try one. Before the Z4, I had an SLK AMG 55 - never had a MB before, and glad I did.

I love what you've done with yours - the video is great. The white is striking, and the blacked out kidney grills look great. I'm glad you didn't put on that front plate (I know how California is such a stickler for it). And that exhaust...wicked!
Since you are going to keep it, you might want to consider doing painted white front side markers - I did them on mine, and getting rid of that orange reflector on the wheel arch makes the lines even cleaner.

Scott
Scott - Thanks for the props on my car. I did get the side reflectors painted. Unfortunately that video is out dated. I also had the roof vinyl wrapped gloss black to match the pillars. It gives it a refreshed sportier look with black top and white body.

Anyways, please share photos once you have your new Boxster S and provide a review for us. I'm sure it will be an awesome ride!

Regards,

Cris
      08-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #21
nickm9
Private First Class
Rep

It's a shame we don't buy cars on leases like you do in the US. Yes we lease but we are more likely to put in much bigger deposits, of about $10,000 and pay about $600-700 a month for 3 years and either hand it back, but this would depend on the value of the car then and the ballon payment owing. Very very rarely do you come out with money in your pocket.

I'd love a Boxster, but configured to my spec it comes to $95,000 dollars, and with a $20,000 deposit I am sure I'd be looking at a lease of $1200 a month for 3 years....
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
redhot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm9 View Post
It's a shame we don't buy cars on leases like you do in the US. Yes we lease but we are more likely to put in much bigger deposits, of about $10,000 and pay about $600-700 a month for 3 years and either hand it back, but this would depend on the value of the car then and the ballon payment owing. Very very rarely do you come out with money in your pocket.

I'd love a Boxster, but configured to my spec it comes to $95,000 dollars, and with a $20,000 deposit I am sure I'd be looking at a lease of $1200 a month for 3 years....
For that kinda money, I'd go for a Nissan GT-R..