New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #23
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarqZ4 View Post
The issue is if they are going to clone a car why make it easy – they do clone cars – thousands are stolen in the UK every year and are never recovered, they don’t all go abroad. So they have the stolen car sitting in the lock up awaiting a new identity, they either have to walk around looking for an identical spec car or spend a few minutes on the internet, this is a no brainer.

Makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 05:23 AM   #24
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: sDrive 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux good View Post
So what stops people getting your car reg. when they see it on a road!!??
I think juhap's point is that a lot of information is revealed on forums. Revealing personal stuff and information about modifications is like an online inventory for criminals but also . . . . If I were an insurer, for example, I'd be very interested in the performance upgrades I've not been informed about or the fact the apparently low-risk married, suburban 50 year-old in my records enjoys taking on Porsches at the traffic-light grand prix. Also, all you guys adding flash upgrades who remove them prior to workshop visiits yet openly show your registration details are, perhaps, being a little indiscrete. If I'm BMW, I'm reading these forums and taking note of all the Juice Box and Vishnu customers for when they come in with their warranty claims.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #25
TarqZ4
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 S Drive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodeep View Post
I think juhap's point is that a lot of information is revealed on forums. Revealing personal stuff and information about modifications is like an online inventory for criminals but also . . . . If I were an insurer, for example, I'd be very interested in the performance upgrades I've not been informed about or the fact the apparently low-risk married, suburban 50 year-old in my records enjoys taking on Porsches at the traffic-light grand prix. Also, all you guys adding flash upgrades who remove them prior to workshop visiits yet openly show your registration details are, perhaps, being a little indiscrete. If I'm BMW, I'm reading these forums and taking note of all the Juice Box and Vishnu customers for when they come in with their warranty claims.
Spot on
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #26
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodeep View Post
If I were an insurer, for example, I'd be very interested in the performance upgrades I've not been informed about or the fact the apparently low-risk married, suburban 50 year-old in my records enjoys taking on Porsches at the traffic-light grand prix.
There are insurance agencies with dedicated servers that crawl and index content from various web sites for the purpose of detecting potential insurance fraud attempts (among other things). For example, if someone claims their car got stolen or caught fire, the agency can immediately see if he's been trying to sell his car on-line right before the incident. Obviously even if he has, it doesn't prove anything, but it will warrant a closer look.

And no, I'm not making this up. I sell systems like this for a living
Appreciate 0