New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
lonelyreza
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault 5

Roads are bumpy: Adaptive Suspension or Base Suspension?

Here in Tehran roads are bumpy with many big potholes
I want to keep my car healthy more than being sporty.
Bumpy roads + Hard Suspension = Noise all over the car specially the retractable hardtop mechanism.
Which option is more suitable for me? (money is not an object)
1-Sport Adaptive M Suspension: There is a diagram that shows it is more comfortable than Standard Suspension but the height is 10mm lower permanently.So maybe better because of less shock transfer in Normal Mode.
2-Base Suspension: Is it really harder than M suspension? At least it's 10mm higher, so you can go over speed limiters easier, plus the simple mechanism may reduce the risk of suspension damage or malfunction. Am I right?

I am about ordering my car and this decision is important for me. Guys you may had a test drive of both cars which is not possible for me. So please let me know which option is a more durable car?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

This may help. It applies to 2010 as well.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

Hard to say without actually testing it, while the Adaptive suspension is 10mm lower, it will transfer less shocks to the car going over rough roads, but as the normal setting is softer it might bounce more dropping off the speed bumps. The normal suspension is 10m higher, but will transfer more shock to the suspension and the car, so it might work to shift the adaptive suspension tot he sport mode so it doesn't bounce as much and hope the missing 10mm don't cause the car to bottom out. I would go for the adaptive suspension and if the missing 10mm is a problem, get a spacer made to raise the car up 10mm.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Either suspension is good, but get rid of the Runflat tires!!

The adaptive suspension on normal mode, with non-runflats runs smoothe.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 2009 SDrive23i

lonelyreza, I cannot help you compare the two but can offer you my experience on bad roads. I am currently living and working in the Balkans, the roads here are pretty bad, potholes are everywhere. I have the adaptive M suspension.

In general I find the drive is still ok, indeed smoother than most of my previous cars. If you go directly into a hole it does give you a bit of a smack though... The other thing you notice is that when going over lots of bumps the DCT light comes on frequently giving you momentary loss of power (this would be the same for both suspensions I believe). I now have a tendency to turn DCT off when in town.

I would think one of your decisions would be whether you consider yourself a good enough driver, or have enough opportunities to use the Sport+ mode on or not?
Appreciate 0