New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
greggk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 35is

Changing Performance Settings While Driving

View and enjoy this forum a lot.

Have a new 35is that just hit the break-in period. Previously owned a 2005 3.0 Z4 which was great but this car is an entirely different beast. A few questions on the subject.

I usually switch the driving dynamics and the auto/sport/manual when the car is not moving. At a stoplight or when starting out from home or another location.

Over the last week or so i started to interchange while the car is in motion. The owners manual dosnt address this directly, but if it where an issue I would think the cars computer would not allow me to do this and no warning lights have come on.

Is this ok? Any greater wear on the engine or other car components by interchanging while moving versus when the car is stopped.

It is much more fun to switch dynamics and shift options on the fly versus waiting to stop.

Also, if I am in sports/sports+ mode for the dynamics and then park and turn the car off it comes up as normal when I start the next time. Is this just the way it is, where I have to reset every time I start the car?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

All these settings are software based and can be switched on the fly, no prob.
I have the same gripe as you...I'd love to be able to set the default suspension setting to sport, but you can't unless you find someone to code your car. Which may not be hard to do, but you then may have to deal with warranty issues if something goes wrong. any changes made are recorded in the ECU so there's no hiding it from BMW. so every time i start up I have to press that toggle switch.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0