New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
SCBMW02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i and 2022 Z4 M40i

Garage List
Motor Trend comparison test..........

Saw where Motor Trend just did a comparison test of roadsters and per usual the Boxster S had everyone giddy. Z4 35i got a pretty lousy review based on the ride quality mainly. I think we all get that the Boxster is a pure sports car and probably has no real equal. Not to mention it weighs 400 lbs less than the Z4! It would have been prudent, however, to wait until a 35is was available imho. I looked at the performance data and they got 0-60 in 4.7, .92g of grip and 102 ft 60-0 for the Z4. Not too bad, but anyone have a guess as to what the numbers may look like with the 35is? I will be very surprised if 0-60 time is over 4.5 sec, and the skid pad and braking numbers should be a little better as well.

As always it comes down to personal taste and wants/needs. I like the way the Z4 looks and in the real world the performance will be plenty good. I had a 2000 M Roadster and it was a blast to drive even with the dated suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

they also didnt test one with the dct, which makes the z4 a blast to drive. They didnt seem to like the standard shift in the z4. The z4 is not a true sports car, its a roadster which is great for top down cruising and I find it great in the twisties and it has a very pleasant wonderful ride that Clarkson said, "if you could only have one car for the rest of your life, then he would be happy with the z4" I pretty much agree with that. I took out a boxter s before I bought this, and I much preferred the hardtop convertible. I liked the fact it had that small window that allowed me to shoulder check easier and it felt much less claustrophic compared to the boxster, and I especially much preferred the interior of the z4. The exterior, there was no contest. The boxster only looked good to me from the back. The z4 is a classic in design.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Micky Dee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW sdrive 3.0i

Garage List
I seem to think that the running costs (hugely expensive spare parts/servicing costs) for a Porsche are in a different league to BMW....well they are here in the UK
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Both of the two previous post highlight the true differences.

The Z4 is a Grand Tourer, a classy (and classic) looking car that's comfortable, fun to drive in real-life situation, with performance that exceed what most roads can support yet is right at home pulling over at the valet parking spot at a fancy restaurant or a black tie affair.

The Boxster S is a true sports car that's at home on the track but is only a so-so daily driver unless one spends tons of money on comfort options (and then one mights as well spend it on a 911 convertible.) In the U.S. in particular, the Boxster will never be driven at the limits on public roads.

Oh, and Porsche maintenance is expensive anywhere!

There is no right answer, it's a continuum, one just needs to find where their comfort spot is:

Lexus SC <--> Mercedes SLK <--> BMW Z4 <--> Porsche Boxster

Last edited by cdeslandes; 04-21-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
Both of the two previous post highlight the true differences.

The Z4 is a Grand Tourer, a classy (and classic) looking car that's comfortable, fun to drive in real-life situation, with performance that exceed what most roads can support yet is right at home pulling over at the valet parking spot at a fancy restaurant or a black tie affair.

The Boxster S is a true sports car that's at home on the track but is only a so-so daily driver unless one spends tons of money on comfort options (and then one mights as well spend it on a 911 convertible.) In the U.S. in particular, the Boxster will never be driven at the limits on public roads.

Oh, and Porsche maintenance is expensive anywhere!

THere is not right answer, it's a continuum, one just needs to find where their comfort spot is:

Lexus SC <--> Mercedes SLK <--> BMW Z4 <--> Posrche Boxster
Well said, couldn't agree more. In addition there's also the looks department, which of course is a matter of opinion, but in that area the Z4 wipes the floor with pretty much any car out there.

I moved from E85 to E89, and yes the Z4 has gone softer, but my limits as a driver are exceeded long before the car starts to struggle. I don't intend to drive it on track, didn't do that with the E85 either.

Haven't read the Motor Trend article, because I simply don't see the point. But if they didn't like the manual gear box, they have zero credibility in my eyes. As far as manual boxes go, I think it's pretty much spot on.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
Well said, couldn't agree more. In addition there's also the looks department, which of course is a matter of opinion, but in that area the Z4 wipes the floor with pretty much any car out there.

I moved from E85 to E89, and yes the Z4 has gone softer, but my limits as a driver are exceeded long before the car starts to struggle. I don't intend to drive it on track, didn't do that with the E85 either.

Haven't read the Motor Trend article, because I simply don't see the point. But if they didn't like the manual gear box, they have zero credibility in my eyes. As far as manual boxes go, I think it's pretty much spot on.
Pretty amazing how until a year or two ago, car magazines would poopoo anything that didn't have a true manual transmission, but now are drooling all over DCTs?

My last car had an excellent manumatic with paddles, but nothing replaces manual for driving pleasure. So I can't shift in 10 milliseconds, but that's not the point. If one wants a truly quick track car, then a Cayman or 135i Coupe with DCT is the way to go (or a Lotus) Why have the added weight of a convertible?

If ones wants hair-in-the-wind old fashioned touring fun with a capable but simple and predictable chassis, then the Z4 manual is the one. Which is why I bought one.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

The 35i with DCT ran the 0-60 in 4.3 seconds when MT did their Car of the Year comparison. So, the 35is should run about a 4.1 - 4.2.

By definition, The Z4 is a sports car, not a Grand Tourer.

The term Sports Car has been defined as "an open, low-built, fast motor car. The term describes a class of automobile with two seats, two doors, precise handling, brisk acceleration, and sharp braking — trading practical considerations such as passenger space, comfort, and cargo capacity — for driving enjoyment.

The term Grand Tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a high-performance luxury automobile designed for long-distance driving. The format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.

When I hit the ignition key, and drive off, I am driving a Sports Car that hits 60 in 4.3 seconds, as documented.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 04-20-2010 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
s2000jan
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E89 - sDrive 35is

I already said this in another topic (I think) : I drove both the Boxster and Z4 before deciding which one to buy : the boxster is indeed more pure a sportscar than the Z4, but it is more noisy, costs (a lot) more, maintenance will be more expensive, .... (but it will probably keep it's value better than the Z). I decided to buy the 35iS

Here some numbers of the 35iS version, tested in Europe:

0-100km/h : 4,8s (as advertised) as opposed to 35i 5,2s
0-200km/h : 18,0s as opposed to 35i 19,4s

80-120 (highest gear being 7th in this case) : 6,8s as opposed 35i 7,8s (!) -- same exercise in 4th gear takes 3,8s

Fuel consumption: 12,8Liters (minimum : 7,9L -- maximum : 15,5L)

Braking distance from 100km/h : 35m (cold), 36m (warm)
Braking distance from 190km/u : 137m
      04-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
Stick Shift
Private
Rep
Drives: too fast

Oh no, not another Z4 vs Boxster thread!

Quote:
...I moved from E85 to E89, and yes the Z4 has gone softer, but my limits as a driver are exceeded long before the car starts to struggle. I don't intend to drive it on track, didn't do that with the E85 either...
If you don't drive your Z4 near its limits then it is probably a better car for you than a Boxster. The Boxster has higher handling limits but you pay a penalty in a harsher ride, less interior space, a less luxurious interior, and higher maintenance costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Dee View Post
I seem to think that the running costs (hugely expensive spare parts/servicing costs) for a Porsche are in a different league to BMW....well they are here in the UK
That's for sure, the first scheduled maintenance for my 911 at the Porsche dealer was over U.S.$500, and that was essentially an oil change. I have since found a good, less expensive shop to take both my German cars for maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
...The term Sports Car has been defined as "an open, low-built, fast motor car. The term describes a class of automobile with two seats, two doors, precise handling, brisk acceleration, and sharp braking — trading practical considerations such as passenger space, comfort, and cargo capacity — for driving enjoyment.

The term Grand Tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a high-performance luxury automobile designed for long-distance driving. The format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.
So then by your definition, is a Porsche 911 not a sports car, since it has a 2+2 seating configuration? It's definitely not a GT since it certainly wasn't "designed for long-distance driving".

I think that attempting to attach labels to categorize every car is probably a waste of time. Each car is what it is.
      04-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

today, was a gorgeous sunny day. I put the top down,, looked at the beautiful black saphire paint glisten. Drove away with that lovely sound coming out the exhaust. Pulled up to a light and three women in the car next to me, stared and the driver said, that is one beautiful car. She said, "its just stunning". I smiled and slowly moved on, basking in the sun and enjoying the day. This car is wonderful, plain and simple.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M4 2018

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
The 35i with DCT ran the 0-60 in 4.3 seconds when MT did their Car of the Year comparison. So, the 35is should run about a 4.1 - 4.2.

When I hit the ignition key, and drive off, I am driving a Sports Car that hits 60 in 4.3 seconds, as documented.
I hope my 35i will be as fast as that. But realistic, do you really belive that?

The only documented figures i've seen is 5,1 sec 0-60.

Whatever figure is right it's more than enough between the redlights.

Last edited by SHADOW4; 04-21-2010 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan64 View Post
today, was a gorgeous sunny day. I put the top down,, looked at the beautiful black saphire paint glisten. Drove away with that lovely sound coming out the exhaust. Pulled up to a light and three women in the car next to me, stared and the driver said, that is one beautiful car. She said, "its just stunning". I smiled and slowly moved on, basking in the sun and enjoying the day. This car is wonderful, plain and simple.
I haven't even got mine yet, but i'm smiling already.

That is what's it for, to make you happy!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Shift View Post
So then by your definition, is a Porsche 911 not a sports car, since it has a 2+2 seating configuration? It's definitely not a GT since it certainly wasn't "designed for long-distance driving".

I think that attempting to attach labels to categorize every car is probably a waste of time. Each car is what it is.
Those were Wikopedia's definitions, not mine. The ONLY point of posting those 2 definitions was to show that by those specific definitions, the Z4 is not a touring vehicle, as some have labeled it. One morer thought to add: No car with a wheelbase as short as the Z4s should be labeled a GT vehicle. I agree with your thought that there should not be a rubber stamped label on every car.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 04-22-2010 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBMW02 View Post
Saw where Motor Trend just did a comparison test of roadsters and per usual the Boxster S had everyone giddy. Z4 35i got a pretty lousy review based on the ride quality mainly.
MT, R&T, C&D are only journalists, not motor enthusiasts... I don't base arguments on their results or articles... as an example you can see their complete contradiction on these Z4 reviews.

2010 BMW Z4

MT
"The 35i is a stormer: 0 to 60 takes just 4.3 seconds. Few automakers do chassis like BMW, and the Z4’s doesn’t disappoint. “Great grip, largely neutral handling, stability intervention minimal in Sport+ mode,” notes technical director Frank Markus. The 35i needs just 107 feet to stop from 60 mph."

"Engineers took advantage of the new roadster's 15-percent improvement in chassis stiffness versus the previous model. The suspension doesn't skitter over bumps as easily. Drive it on anything but the most potholed streets, though, and you'll want to engage the Sport setting, if for no other reason than its quicker steering, which is already among the most direct you'll find in a sports car, belying its electromechanical roots. The Sport setting's springs, shocks and dampers are calibrated to match the last Z4's, but with better suspension travel.For good mountain roads, Sport+ stiffens things up further, making it a sharp-edged sportster. Turn off the stability control in this setting and you can dive for second- or third-gear corners with very little body roll and exit with just the slightest bit of oversteer as the rear tires slide out a bit. The steering feel and directness makes for a nice partner in shussing the esses."

C&D
"The chassis is well balanced, and the body motions are always controlled. Handling is predictable, which makes the Z4 feel lively at low speeds and inspires confidence as the pace quickens. The steering is well weighted and direct. The Z4 moves sharply along twisty roads, but the steering feel and the extreme rearward driving position make for a personality that is more deliberate than darty."
"The Z4 keeps a flat cornering attitude in all three settings, and the neutral handling gives way progressively to gentle understeer at the limit. "

R&T
"Handling on mountain roads (or the all-important entrance ramp GP) feels sure-footed and predictable, and the car's supple suspension and excellent ride quality keep the Bridgestone Potenzas connected on bumpy curves. Ultimately, with Dynamic Stability Control turned (mostly) off, the Z4 can be made to oversteer in the slalom and skidpad, but it stays gathered up and easy to drive at normal fast road speeds."
      04-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #15
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
IMHO, if you are an inexperienced racer or just getting into sports car, go with Porsche for precise handling that will help you. If you are more experienced and enjoy pushing a sports car to the limits and can skillfully handle it, then go for the Z4.

both cars are fun either way. Big aesthetic difference!
      04-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #16
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpnout View Post
IMHO, if you are an inexperienced racer or just getting into sports car, go with Porsche for precise handling that will help you. If you are more experienced and enjoy pushing a sports car to the limits and can skillfully handle it, then go for the Z4.
+1
      04-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #17
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
. . .you can see their complete contradiction on these Z4 reviews.

2010 BMW Z4

MT
The 35i is a stormer. . .the Z4’s doesn’t disappoint. . .Engineers took advantage of the new roadster's 15-percent improvement in chassis stiffness. . .

C&D
The chassis is well balanced. . .

R&T
Handling on mountain roads (or the all-important entrance ramp GP) feels sure-footed and predictable, and the car's supple suspension and excellent ride quality. . .

To sum it up:
It's fast

It's exciting

It has a great performance chassis that capably transfer power to the road

It has a well balanced performance chassis that handles sure footedly and predictably
and yet,
It has a supple suspension and excellent ride quality.

Ahh. . . .memphis2012, don't mean to contradict. . .but where's the contradiction? It all sounds pretty good to me.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 04-20-2010 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #18
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

as opposed to the report SCBMW02 posted by MT
      04-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #19
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Ok
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:21 AM   #20
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW4 View Post
I hope my 35i will be as fast that.
Driving to work today, 2nd gear, 3000 RPM, stepped on the loud pedal when exiting a tight corner....let's just say that sometimes things happen faster than your eyes can register...my car wasn't accelerating, it was teleporting
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #21
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Geez. Timed track events in identical cars always produce a spread in the standings. The biggest variable: who's driving and how well they did on that particular run. So it gets down to what you plan to do with the car. Track it a lot? Maybe the Boxster is for you. Actually drive it in the real world? Z4 is more tractable and pleasant. And when you pile on maintenance costs and side-by-side options, the Porsche really starts to look like a pricy toy.

Toys are good. The Boxster is a good tech toy. The Z4 is a really nice toy. Really nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #22
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Driving to work today, 2nd gear, 3000 RPM, stepped on the loud pedal when exiting a tight corner....let's just say that sometimes things happen faster than your eyes can register...my car wasn't accelerating, it was teleporting
-I'm giving her all she got, Captain!

Yes, i'm going to love all the gadgets! How many cars have teleporting capacity? BMW must have gotten a few tips from the Vulcans. Enough to flee from the Borgs.

Great car!
Appreciate 0