New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
GlacierSilverBullet
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4

Unhappy First date, top down and a big bird

Hello everyone!

I have been reading this forum with much interest and I have been looking forward to having more to contribute than just "Like you I love my BMW!" for some time now, little did I know... "Be careful what you wish for" as the saying goes.

So I need your help because this weekend driving my beloved Z4 top down under a beautiful sun with cloudless blue skies through amazing scenery in excellent company might have made me break some happiness limit, and the universe used a big bird to send me a sign from above.

I have to admire the aim of that bird though. It managed to hit the bull's eye while I was driving 40mph, delivering the Mother Of All Bird-droppings all over the center rear loudspeaker. I guess I am happy that it did not go slightly to the left or slightly to the right but now I really need to remove #5 below so I can clean the mess:

I have searched ever since but I can't seem to find how to do it; some pages suggest that loudspeaker covers are clipped and you just need to lift them, but others say that they are soldered with melted plastic and I don't want to risk making my Z4 any more hurt... Could you please, please, please help me?

Best regards,

GSB

Last edited by GlacierSilverBullet; 06-09-2014 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 06:06 AM   #2
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Well mine doesn't feature that particular loudspeaker, but my cover was just clipped in and actually came off one time I was doing 200km/h with the roof down... Now its clipped back in with glue added to the clips...

From the pic it looks like part 4 and 5 are both mounted in the same fashion, but I wouldn't know for sure.

BTW I bet you are the first Z4 owner ever to get hit by a bird bomb in such a spectacular fashion. You should update your avatar with a picture documenting it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Generally if there is a speaker there it is clipped and if there is not speaker there then it might be soldered. The idea is so that the techs can replace repair service the spekaer if needed after installing without having to remove the entire back panel which means seats come out, side panels off etc.
      06-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
BMW665
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 e89

also before you order it try taking it out and cleaning it. wow what a bummer . I had the same thing happen years ago when I was on the Ferry from Sausalito to San Francisco. The Seagull managed to hit me square on the shirt. almost the size of an ice cream. I feel for you
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

What rotten luck and I hope you get it straightened out soon.

That being said - from your title - I have to admit I had a brief vision of you cruising down the highway with Big Bird (yes, THAT Big Bird) sitting next to you, top down, his head above the roofline, feathers blowing in the wind...

Maybe that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

I think we need pictures of your date to properly assess the damage and give the correct advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
ZettVier
Rep
Drives: Z4-E89

Clipped."Puuuuuuuuuuuulllll".
Appreciate 0