New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-12-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Anybody cross shop a Porsche Macan S?

Lease on my 335i xdrive is up this September and looking for a replacement.

I know that a Macan is quite a bit different than my current car but has anybody cross shopped or has any driving experience with the Macan S and if so what are your thoughts?

Last edited by DDD31; 02-12-2016 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I'm a huge Porsche fan but was really disappointed with the Macan. I wanted to love it, I wanted it to replace my little sister's beloved 335 coupe. It certainly isn't cheap, and I felt some of the interior items felt unbefitting a car of that price. The engines are great, but the car lacks the immediacy of a Porsche. The brakes felt numb and the car had way too much dive under braking. Strangely, I don't have the same issues with the Cayenne. It feels sharper and more like a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i have but drove the trubo so there's likely a difference. i loved it right away. looks and feels great imo. taking a ramp at 80 mph in what resembles an suv is an interesting feeling.

the biggest problem i have is that the demand is so high that there's no deals to be had depending on where you live. no matter what i can afford, i like to feel like i got a good deal when i walk out the door.

gosh, i'm still tempted to get it even though it would just be sitting in the garage six days a week gathering dust.

damn this thread. haha
      02-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
I'm a huge Porsche fan but was really disappointed with the Macan. I wanted to love it, I wanted it to replace my little sister's beloved 335 coupe. It certainly isn't cheap, and I felt some of the interior items felt unbefitting a car of that price. The engines are great, but the car lacks the immediacy of a Porsche. The brakes felt numb and the car had way too much dive under braking. Strangely, I don't have the same issues with the Cayenne. It feels sharper and more like a Porsche.
Most people found the opposite, with the Macan a much nicer and tighter drive. Depends on what suspension option you have driven.

Porsche options are very extensive and highly customizable. You can get a full leather interior but it just costs $$.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Yes, I looked into it. The leasing on the Macan isn't good. Porsche doesn't subsidize its leases the way some of the other luxury dealers do. For example: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/pors...tml#post983105
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #6
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

I have driven the Macan S several times and I agree with most reviews in that it's an amazing car. On one occasion, I drove a X3 35i right after a Macan S and the Macan S is by far superior in all measures. The driving dynamics and sound are significantly better. I also prefer the Porsche interior to BMW, possibly due to aesthetic fatigue due to being a BMW owner.

Overall it's an excellent car but that comes at an excellent price. BMWs are really cheap to lease, especially the 3 series... You can probably lease a 335i for 500 bucks a month with nothing down but Porsche leases are terrible, so really you should buy (especially the Macan due to amazing resale value)... Macan S's really go for around 65k with reasonable equipment and there are little to no discounts. So even at 60 months loan, assuming reasonable down and taxes, you are looking at 1000+ per month. You also have to pay for maintenance, etc. If you don't plan to put anything down, really you are looking at a 1200 per month car. To be honest, the Macan S and 3 series are really not at the same price level.

But if you can handle the payments, the Macan has very strong resale value so the running cost won't be too crazy. And if you want a really nice small-medium sized SUV that drive really well and is premium, I think this is the best choice. I almost ordered one, but gave up due to a long waiting period... However that has become much better now. There are more cars on dealer lots now, and some even have some discounts (tho most I see with discounts are demo cars). If you don't mind demo cars, they are a good buy, especially since they are almost all CPOs with 6 year 100k warranty (and you are the first owner). So that's some damn good warranty, and people who test Macans probably don't drive them like crazy.

One negative I have for the Macan is the fairly uncomfortable rear seats.

Last edited by zer0cool; 02-16-2016 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

It will add up but musts are sport chrono, air suspension and possibly sport exhaust.
Can't fit a golf bag much less several with rear seats up...deal breaker for me but I've heard nothing but raves about them.

I want to see and drive the jaguar f-pace...if it will hurry up already.
      02-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep

I personally think those are the least have options... Of course it's a matter of opinion... but those are 7000 dollars of options that have virtually 0 resale value. They really don't help to sell the car as usually dealer inventory cars don't have those options. Also if you were already at 65k before those, now you are at 72k... really you should just spec out a GTS or Turbo at that point.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
It will add up but musts are sport chrono, air suspension and possibly sport exhaust.
Can't fit a golf bag much less several with rear seats up...deal breaker for me but I've heard nothing but raves about them.

I want to see and drive the jaguar f-pace...if it will hurry up already.
i mostly agree. chrono is a must, suspension is a huge want boarder need, and exhaust is a big want.

i'm confused by the jaguar f-pace... doesn't jaguar already make an suv called land rover? maybe it'll be a cheaper supercharged range rover sport. haha it makes me wonder if they'll be breaking up soon. if so, short lived relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
I personally think those are the least have options... Of course it's a matter of opinion... but those are 7000 dollars of options that have virtually 0 resale value. They really don't help to sell the car as usually dealer inventory cars don't have those options. Also if you were already at 65k before those, now you are at 72k... really you should just spec out a GTS or Turbo at that point.
the sport chrono is worth it imo.
      02-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
Spec a gts that's not out yet or a turbo that will run 80+ with few options?

I prefer those options I listed to get as driver focused a macan as I could/no forged wheels either...too big. I don't buy cars hoping the next buyer will like it.

Gtron. Not sure what you're saying. The f pace will hit showrooms any day. Supercharged 6 followed by an 8 I hope.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...s-2016-review/

It looks promising. I love Porsche but the small cargo space nulls the macan and I'm not crazy about the looks of the cayenne.

Last edited by gonzo; 02-16-2016 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #11
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep

I guess it's at the end a balance between price and what you want... which is subjective. E.g. if you want to keep the car below 65k, you have to choose between driving dynamics options vs things that should be in a premium car options...

E.g. if you want the pano roof, nav, heated and cooled seats, bose with nicer wheels, you can't get the driving options... on the other hand, if you want to go complete on the driving options, you can't get the nice things that should be in a premium car...

If you want both, then the Macan S is a 70k+ car. I think a similarly equipped GTS isn't much more than a S (like 2 or 3k) since the GTS has PSE and Sport PASM as standard.

For resale, I think a 75k GTS will fair better than a 72k S.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #12
Alamat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi Sport Line

Wife got it her for birthday last March. It came about $63k well optioned though still have buttons on middle console missing letterings on it. No driving dynamics though...she wouldn't know what that would be anyway.
It does drive like a sports car considering its an SUV.
An eye turner. People on the road have been taking pics of it while passing by as well as when its parked.
That said, some of the plastic trimmings over some placed feels flimsy. Maybe its to save on weight?
Otherwise, it is a nice vehicle that can haul 4 adults and some cargo. And if you need power, its there.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #13
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Spec a gts that's not out yet or a turbo that will run 80+ with few options?

I prefer those options I listed to get as driver focused a macan as I could/no forged wheels either...too big. I don't buy cars hoping the next buyer will like it.

Gtron. Not sure what you're saying. The f pace will hit showrooms any day. Supercharged 6 followed by an 8 I hope.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...s-2016-review/

It looks promising. I love Porsche but the small cargo space nulls the macan and I'm not crazy about the looks of the cayenne.
I understand, I might have worded that oddly, sorry.

I meant the company Jaguar Land Rover is confusing me because they already have an SUV line called Range Rover. I meant it half jokingly as they already have a strange history IMO.

Additionally, I was starting the comparison between the supercharged Range Rover Sport to the Jaguar F-Pace with the hopes that the F-Pace would be faster for less money.
      02-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #14
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Building a Macan S online I came up with a price of ~$67,000 for the options I want. Current lease numbers on the Macan S are residual of 60% with a MF of 0.002 Porsche also has a maximum residual MSRP (MRM) which is the maximum MSRP that Porsche will residualize as part of the lease. Right now the MRM is ~$70,000 so my build would be under that. As you can see if you add a lot of options a lease could get very expensive.

I have no interest in buying and I do realize Porsche leases are nowhere near as attractive as BMW leases.

I'll need to set up a test drive at some point and see if I like it enough to consider leaving BMW.

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #15
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Building a Macan S online I came up with a price of ~$67,000 for the options I want. Current lease numbers on the Macan S are residual of 60% with a MF of 0.002 Porsche also has a maximum residual MSRP (MRM) which is the maximum MSRP that Porsche will residualize as part of the lease. Right now the MRM is ~$70,000 so my build would be under that. As you can see if you add a lot of options a lease could get very expensive.

I have no interest in buying and I do realize Porsche leases are nowhere near as attractive as BMW leases.

I'll need to set up a test drive at some point and see if I like it enough to consider leaving BMW.

Thanks for all the replies so far.
I'm usually a lease guy too.

I've got a shiny nickel that says you are amazed at how well it handles and how quick it is.
      02-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #16
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep

Why not buy if leases are shitty? Assuming no discount, you are looking at close to 1000 a month on a lease given the numbers you mentioned above (assuming you pay fees and taxes upfront). I would almost never buy a BMW because of the amazing lease rates... A Porsche however... you are getting screwed on the MF... you ll end up paying a LOT on interest and rent charges... and worse if you are over mileage...

Macan is holding value so well, I think it's a better financial decision to buy. Of course if you get tax benefits on leases due to business reasons, then that becomes a better choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #17
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
Felt like everyone else here. Car feels like a sedan more than anything. Steering feel is better than any "sport" saloon I've driven or owned. The throttle response is very sharp as well and as good as I've felt in a turbo car.
I find the macan inside and out to be a quality car that truly looks very aggressive and gives a great note from both the engine and exhaust as well.
They are pricey but they are unmatched for what they prefer. Like all porsche products, they can be super expensive if you load up on options, but for. Smaller SUV you won't find better and actually other than space really drives so much better than the bigger, higher hp SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #18
tcpsoft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I was VERY interested in a Macan and drove the S. I was very disappointed with the power and handling. I knew it wasn't going to be a 911 or Cayman (which I had at the time) but still....

Never drove the Turbo, but maybe that was a good thing as I ended up with the M3 a month or two later and have never looked back.

2015 M3 DCT (sold)
2008 Lotus Exige S240 - too many mods to list (sold)
2007 Lotus Exige S (RIP)
2006 MINI Cooper S (sold)
Appreciate 0