New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #67
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
Sexy. Speaking of the FD, what do V8 swapped FDs sell for these days? I'm not talking hack jobs.
I just sold one with an LS3 swap for $30k. A nice one will be $30k to $35k min.
LS3 and LS7 cars.
LS1 cars can be had for $20k for a clean one.

Here was mine.
      02-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #68
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i think i'll drive a wrx sti this weekend.
      02-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #69
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron
i think i'll drive a wrx sti this weekend.
Do you like turbo lag?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #70
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Yeah, I drove a new STI a few weeks ago and was very underwhelmed. Too unrefined and ragged to be a good DD, too slow and unexciting to be a toy. I have no idea how Subaru unloads these things for 40K.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #71
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Do you like turbo lag?
really? that sucks. i was kinda hoping it could be a neat toy to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Yeah, I drove a new STI a few weeks ago and was very underwhelmed. Too unrefined and ragged to be a good DD, too slow and unexciting to be a toy. I have no idea how Subaru unloads these things for 40K.
that's too bad. i was hoping it would resemble what i dreamt it abt when i was younger.

speaking of 40k; in your opinion, what would produce better numbers at that price? 40k includes every option enabled on an sti. every other car i thought of getting just for the youthful fun of it produces less speed. anything that gets close the price jumps up 10k when adding any useful options/packages.
      02-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #72
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron
Quote:
Do you like turbo lag?

Quote:
that's too bad. i was hoping it would resemble what i dreamt it abt when i was younger.

speaking of 40k; in your opinion, what would produce better numbers at that price? 40k includes every option enabled on an sti. every other car i thought of getting just for the youthful fun of it produces less speed. anything that gets close the price jumps up 10k when adding any useful options/packages.
Focus RS? Golf R? 228i with Track Package?

Honestly the regular WRX drives better than the STI. The STI has the same motor that it did in 2004 and it feels like turbo charged cars from 12 years ago.

Supposedly there's a new motor and new Impreza/STI just around the corner, plus a return to the hatch. I'd skip this generation.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #73
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post

I had very fond memories of the cars my buddies had back when I was in the Air Force- 2003-2006 MY's, and to me, the current one feels pretty much the same.

Those cars were great back in the day, but fast forward 10 years, and the stiff ride, cheap interior, turbo lag, and heavy clutch don't justify the money they charge for them. Plus, the old EJ25 is just a relic at this point. The new FA20 offers a much greater tuning platform. If I were gonna pull the trigger on a Subie, I think I'd just buy the standard WRX.

As for your second question, the new Camaro, in particular starts at 37K. It'll run circles around the STI. Even in 2SS guise with goodies, you're still looking at ~42K. Aside from not having the back seat and rear doors of the STI, it's just as livable. Possibly even more so.

Haven't driven the Golf R, so I can't speak for it. I have driven the standard GTI though, and it had much greater refinement levels than the STI. It felt much more premium. Out of everything I drove that trip- GTI, STI, 4DR Cooper S- the MINI was easily the most fun to drive. Lease deals on them suck, though, and the back seat is almost uninhabitable.

EDIT- The Focus ST is more fun than all of them.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #74
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

coming from a wrx that I had for 8 years, that was honestly the best car I've ever owned. Extremely quick (not fast), somewhat reliable (I had little to no issues in all of 140k miles), they handle like a gokart when the suspension is upgraded accordingly, and the aftermarket support is endless. Have an issue with turbo lag?...load one of the countless tunes available on via cobb AP and be on your way. My car had 56whp/90wtq over stock from 30k miles and still went like hell the day I sold it.
But yes, subarus are very raw feeling, kind of make you feel like you're one with the car, but refinement?...look elsewhere. The price for the sti I always thought was outrageous, but you get the practically bulletproof transmission and drive settings. If you don't drive like a dick, the 5speeds (not sure about the new 6speeds), will hold up just fine even with increased power. Overall, I think it's better to get a regular wrx and just upgrade it because the power can easily exceed the sti for about 1000-1500 bucks, probably less
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #75
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
Have an issue with turbo lag?...load one of the countless tunes available on via cobb AP and be on your way.
That does NOT solve the turbo-lag problem. While it makes boost come on a little earlier and harder, it also makes it run out of steam earlier too. You still have a lot of lag before you build up enough RPM and you can still load it to the point where it won't climb out of low-RPM due to no torque (boost).

The STI is a much more track-ready car, in terms of brakes, suspension, shocks, etc.

IMO (and I owned one) the WRXs still need some significant life-lines, they finally updated the engine in the regular WRX, but not before most other similar cars were pumping out not only much more HP, but simply not losing their HP due to driveline losses like the subaru AWD do. They end up being quick at lower speeds due to AWD, the ability to put all that power down fast and close-ratio gearboxes, but many cars are faster from a roll or in passing, due to the relatively low power produced by the subarus. The WRX needs to be 350hp and the STI 400 IMO, the moment of the engine in front of the axle also kind of shoots them in the foot, negating the advantage of the flat-engine arrangement.

They are fun cars, but not without quirks and subaru is often one of the absolute last to make updates or incorporate new technology. Japan at least sees some of that stuff long before us, but things like the 4EAT, tiny TD04s without twin scrolls, 5spd transmissions that have to run at high RPM while cruising, and other technology should have been gone before they were actually/finally phased out.

Last edited by RM7; 02-11-2016 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 06:56 AM   #76
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo View Post
I just sold one with an LS3 swap for $30k. A nice one will be $30k to $35k min.
LS3 and LS7 cars.
LS1 cars can be had for $20k for a clean one.

Here was mine.
Damn, I was hoping for well under $20k.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #77
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

There isn't a sporty $40k MSRP Japanese car that I care to own.

The civic type r that people are posting will not come to america.

My guess is to blend this photo...

With this photo

That should probably be the civic type r that comes to america.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/sneak-p...vic-hatchback/
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #78
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Miata is the answer...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #79
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Focus RS? Golf R? 228i with Track Package?

Honestly the regular WRX drives better than the STI. The STI has the same motor that it did in 2004 and it feels like turbo charged cars from 12 years ago.

Supposedly there's a new motor and new Impreza/STI just around the corner, plus a return to the hatch. I'd skip this generation.
Quote:
I had very fond memories of the cars my buddies had back when I was in the Air Force- 2003-2006 MY's, and to me, the current one feels pretty much the same.

Those cars were great back in the day, but fast forward 10 years, and the stiff ride, cheap interior, turbo lag, and heavy clutch don't justify the money they charge for them. Plus, the old EJ25 is just a relic at this point. The new FA20 offers a much greater tuning platform. If I were gonna pull the trigger on a Subie, I think I'd just buy the standard WRX.

As for your second question, the new Camaro, in particular starts at 37K. It'll run circles around the STI. Even in 2SS guise with goodies, you're still looking at ~42K. Aside from not having the back seat and rear doors of the STI, it's just as livable. Possibly even more so.

Haven't driven the Golf R, so I can't speak for it. I have driven the standard GTI though, and it had much greater refinement levels than the STI. It felt much more premium. Out of everything I drove that trip- GTI, STI, 4DR Cooper S- the MINI was easily the most fun to drive. Lease deals on them suck, though, and the back seat is almost uninhabitable.

EDIT- The Focus ST is more fun than all of them.

i just drove the sti...

and had tons of fun in it!

call me crazy but coming from a Cayman S that is about double the price i think that says a lot. is it better than the Cayman S? absolutely not imo. is it a fun ass car for a bargain of a price... effin yea it is. it's still a head turner too with that "race boy" wing too. haha

i'm sure there's a lot wrong with it and everyone loves to tell everyone what they're doing wrong or why a car sucks so bad but i don't care and i will say i enjoyed it.

that's what i like about forums though - they will show you the worst in everything and that's actually a good thing because you will be able to find the slightest blemish going forward. post a beautiful lamborghini and i promise you there will be some negative comments at some post.

anyway, thanks for the comments because i felt like i knew what to lookout for while driving it.
      02-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #80
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
we don't get the r here in the states.
No GTI R in the US?
Attached Images

Last edited by DC-T; 02-12-2016 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #81
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
we don't get the r here in the states.
No GTI R in the US?
It's funny that you found one with a Euro sized plate and no side markers, but the OP was talking about the Civic Type R, not the Golf.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #82
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
There isn't a sporty $40k MSRP Japanese car that I care to own.

The civic type r that people are posting will not come to america.

My guess is to blend this photo...

With this photo

That should probably be the civic type r that comes to america.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/sneak-p...vic-hatchback/
Is the Type R still going to be FWD?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #83
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
i just drove the sti...

and had tons of fun in it!

call me crazy but coming from a Cayman S that is about double the price i think that says a lot. is it better than the Cayman S? absolutely not imo. is it a fun ass car for a bargain of a price... effin yea it is. it's still a head turner too with that "race boy" wing too. haha

i'm sure there's a lot wrong with it and everyone loves to tell everyone what they're doing wrong or why a car sucks so bad but i don't care and i will say i enjoyed it.

that's what i like about forums though - they will show you the worst in everything and that's actually a good thing because you will be able to find the slightest blemish going forward. post a beautiful lamborghini and i promise you there will be some negative comments at some post.

anyway, thanks for the comments because i felt like i knew what to lookout for while driving it.
STi only turns the heads of young ricers & boy racer types.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #84
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

I agree with OP. No more exist. Evo X was legit but it's done now. Not sure about STI. If I had to pick, maybe last choices are STI and 370Z.

Miata and BRZ are momentum cars and may be fun on the track but lack any real power for sustained enjoyment.

Nothing from Lexus IS worth looking at beyond the LFA. Sorry but the F cars fall short of their European and American counterparts.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #85
mike@Vossen
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
Nothing from Lexus IS worth looking at beyond the LFA. Sorry but the F cars fall short of their European and American counterparts.
The RC F just won a compare in CAR magazine beating the M4 and Mustang.....the Mustang was actually second....All a matter of opinion...

I've enjoyed my time in Lexus F cars quite a bit.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 08:56 PM   #86
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
Is the Type R still going to be FWD?
My guess would be yes.

I think Honda just released info on their new Honda Ridgeline truck which has FWD (and AWD option)

I have a feeling they will keep the civic FWD and sprinkle their Honda magic to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #87
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
My guess would be yes.

I think Honda just released info on their new Honda Ridgeline truck which has FWD (and AWD option)

I have a feeling they will keep the civic FWD and sprinkle their Honda magic to make it work.
FWD FTL!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #88
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
I agree with OP. No more exist. Evo X was legit but it's done now. Not sure about STI. If I had to pick, maybe last choices are STI and 370Z.

Miata and BRZ are momentum cars and may be fun on the track but lack any real power for sustained enjoyment.

You've obviously never driven a Miata. You don't need big HP to have fun driving a car when built right + the top goes down!
Appreciate 0