New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
shashi27
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 Z4 35is

Crazy Key Fob

So the post is a little long but I wanted to vent.

I had the craziest night yesterday in NYC. I parked the IS in a garage on 58th street to grab dinner with some friends. When we finished we decided to move to Bar 44 so I moved the car because I was not in a 24 hour lot. The attendant pulls up in my car and me and my friend get in and drive over to 44th street. The attendant at the 44th street garage parks my car and off to the lounge I went.

So I leave the lounge around 1AM and the attendant can't start my car. For the next 45 minutes he looks for the keys in the car and around the car and I keep telling him there is no way it is in the car or it would start. I start to lose patience...

So I ended up taking a cab with my friend back to her car in NJ ($88). I am fuming because I still have to dirve to my house, pick up the spare fob, and go back to the city because there is no way I am going to leave my car there overnight, especially after I lost my temper a little.

So by 5 AM I pick my car back up in NYC. I apologize to the attendant at the 44th street garage. On a hunch I make a bet with my friend for steak dinner that the 1st garage attendant had the fob in his pocket when he started the car, but never inserted it in the dash. Sure enough when I show up at the 58th street garage the attendant had the fob.

What I don't understand is how BMW allows the car to drive without the key inside. How long does it take for the car to shutdown? My old Lexus only ran for 10 mins or something and then the car would die. The only thinig I can think of is they didn't want the car to shutdown at speed if the battery in the fob dies in your pocket.

OK, I am done, now. Car is home safe and I am going to go get the Dinan Stag 2 this week.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Haha! Crazy New Yorkers!! lol
Dinan is awesome! Really transforms the car. Planning to move to Stage 3 in couple months. It requires Dinan intercooler and maybe the Dinan high capacity oil cooler (which I hope not, since I have the factory oil cooler). The Dinan oil cooler is certainly not cheap!
      01-16-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
advancedtekniqs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 z4 35i

A warning message should pop up on the screen telling you that it doesn't sense the key inside the car. Or if you don't have Idrive, it should pop up in the dash screen.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

sorry, but at the end of the day is your fault. I never rely on people cuz I know 95% are incompetent. You could've saved yourself the headache and $88 by simply asking for the key. dont blame technology.
      01-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
warden
Owning It
Rep
Drives: 2012 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by advancedtekniqs View Post
A warning message should pop up on the screen telling you that it doesn't sense the key inside the car. Or if you don't have Idrive, it should pop up in the dash screen.
This is right. And should have clued you into the fact that you didn't have the key as soon as you got into the Z without the key. It's not a subtle warning.

Did you see it?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
shashi27
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 Z4 35is

I didn't see the warning. I will need to try it again to see if I missed it. I don't blame the tech. Just thought it is crazy. Lesson learned the hard way, the only way I know how to learn.
Appreciate 0