New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
deepseabluez
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4

Some help with z4 mods

Hey all!

So I'm planning to purchase a couple accessories for our z4 and thought I'd see if anyone in the community had suggestions/reviews/referrals.

No HOLES Tow Hook License Plate Bracket
I've seen this product from gominigo, but wasn't sure if there were any other no holes options. I live in NJ and at some point will probably be pulled over for not having a front plate. So to avoid that, I figured this tow hook LPB would do the job. Has anyone purchased this for their z4 and if so, which length did you purchase and what do you think of it?

Paint Protection Film
I'm sure that we'll be getting the paint protection film to avoid chips, scratches and scuffs and have looked up reviews and stuff but thought I'd get feedback from you guys. In the ongoing debate between 3M and Venture I think I'll go 3M because I've heard the results are based on the installer. Good installer = good results. Have you guys had any experience with paint protection film that you think I might be better off knowing? If so, chime in. Additionally, if you guys have an installer that you'd recommend, please let me know! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
DDS246
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sdrive35

Funny you mention the front plate issue. I am at New York and option Not to have the front plate mounted. I am planing to lie through my teeth every time that I get summon for not having the front license plated mounted.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
deepseabluez
Rep

not sure how many times lying through your teeth will work. I imagine that once you rack up 2 or 3 of these, they'll start slapping you with fines. I've never NOT had a front plate but can't bring myself to drill holes, so I'm thinking having the tow hook display is the best option.

In the back of my head, I'm thinking maybe the cop will be too busy looking at the rest of the car to notice that I don't have my front plate on...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
GT Sounds
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseabluez View Post
Hey all!

So I'm planning to purchase a couple accessories for our z4 and thought I'd see if anyone in the community had suggestions/reviews/referrals.

No HOLES Tow Hook License Plate Bracket
I've seen this product from gominigo, but wasn't sure if there were any other no holes options. I live in NJ and at some point will probably be pulled over for not having a front plate. So to avoid that, I figured this tow hook LPB would do the job. Has anyone purchased this for their z4 and if so, which length did you purchase and what do you think of it?
What's going on!

I did the same thing (fellow NJ resident), thought about it while I was waiting for the plates to come in but I decided I'm going with the no front license plate look. When I got my car three weeks ago and saw how beautiful it looked, there's no way I'm having holes drilled into that face. I'm going to place an order for that no-holes license place holder from gominigo just in case I need it, still need to measure it out. But screw it I'll just deal with the hassle.

It's bad enough that we have to stick that ugly yellow and black license plate on the back of our car's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseabluez View Post
Paint Protection Film
I'm sure that we'll be getting the paint protection film to avoid chips, scratches and scuffs and have looked up reviews and stuff but thought I'd get feedback from you guys. In the ongoing debate between 3M and Venture I think I'll go 3M because I've heard the results are based on the installer. Good installer = good results. Have you guys had any experience with paint protection film that you think I might be better off knowing? If so, chime in. Additionally, if you guys have an installer that you'd recommend, please let me know! Thanks.
A few guys I work with who are also into cars love the stuff. I'm not using it at the moment, but I'm considering getting it. The dealership offers the service but from what I've read it's only on the most prone to get hit spots (the front bumper, hood, roof, and both mirrors). I'd be more interested if they did the entire vehicle as I'm concerned it'll look awkward. When I got back to the dealership this week I'm planning on finding out what the deal is.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
deepseabluez
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Sounds View Post
What's going on!
I'm going to place an order for that no-holes license place holder from gominigo just in case I need it, still need to measure it out. But screw it I'll just deal with the hassle.

It's bad enough that we have to stick that ugly yellow and black license plate on the back of our car's...
I was going to place an order but 65 bucks without shipping for a plate bracket is kinda steep. I'm heading to home depot today to see if I can put something similar together myself. If you are interested, I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Sounds View Post
What's going on!
A few guys I work with who are also into cars love the stuff. I'm not using it at the moment, but I'm considering getting it. The dealership offers the service but from what I've read it's only on the most prone to get hit spots (the front bumper, hood, roof, and both mirrors). I'd be more interested if they did the entire vehicle as I'm concerned it'll look awkward. When I got back to the dealership this week I'm planning on finding out what the deal is.
So since there had been no replies to this message originally, I did my research and went with Lazlo at Monster Coatings Inc. He's doing a full wrap on the car and has gotten four panels done so far. I'll bring the car back to him to finish it up and let you know how it goes. Also, maybe just my experience and research, but it seems that the dealers typically don't offer the service in house and instead hire some independent installer and then just charge you extra. From my dealership, they quoted me $1000 for front coverage which includes the front bumper, half the hood, fenders and mirrors. Again, if you are interested, I'll let you know how it goes and put a review of the work on our z4.
Appreciate 0