New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
blackbeast
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 SDrive35i

Car not shifting over 2nd Gear

Hi,

I have 2010 Z4 with 90k miles on it. I am getting Check Engine light and saying reduced engine power along with 'Malfunction in Drive' messages after starting the car and Car is not shifting over 2nd gear and running on high RPMs even if go 40 MPH.

I read some BMW forums in google and seems like it is Camshaft sensor issue on N54 engine though there is no incident directly reported in Z4s.

Any one faced similar issue and what needs to be done to solve this?
Is it as simple as replacing the Camshaft Position Sensor?
Attached are the pictures of the dashboard signals I am encountering.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
If you been reading then you should expect us to reply by telling you to scan for the error codes and posting that information.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
blackbeast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
If you been reading then you should expect us to reply by telling you to scan for the error codes and posting that information.
Got the code checked - P0335 - Crankshaft Sensor as expected.
Got work do tomorrow.. Picked up the part tonight for 110 bucks.
Hopefully its easy.. Anyway, watch out for this problem in future.. Seems common in BMWs and lot of videos out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
blackbeast
Rep

Update:
Replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor and car runs smoothly again. But Initial CEL stayed after for little while and got cleared by itself after driving around 10 miles.

Replacement was quite easy with proper tools and one you figure out exactly where the sensor is located. Locating it took me around 2-3 days about 1 hour each day looking for it as it is very hidden from the top.
I replaced it from the top without removing any other parts like air intake etc.

Tools Needed:
1) E10 Trox Socket.
2) Magnetic extension pick tool (about 4 bucks in O'rilley) is quite handy while removing and placing the bolt back in place as the space is quite tight and u cant get fingers in there whithout removing other parts.
3) Ratchet with couple of extensions with total around 12-15"

Process:
1) Locate CPS and remove the screw mounted to the engine.
2) Pull out the sensor with wiring plugged in and once its out, remove the wiring.
3) Keep the O ring or buy a new one as the new replacement part dont come with one.
4) Connect the new sensor to the wiring and put it back in the engine block.
5) Put the screw in place using magnetic pick tool and use ratchet and extensions to fasten it.

All done.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Good to hear, congrats!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Update:
Replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor and car runs smoothly again. But Initial CEL stayed after for little while and got cleared by itself after driving around 10 miles.

Replacement was quite easy with proper tools and one you figure out exactly where the sensor is located. Locating it took me around 2-3 days about 1 hour each day looking for it as it is very hidden from the top.
I replaced it from the top without removing any other parts like air intake etc.

Tools Needed:
1) E10 Trox Socket.
2) Magnetic extension pick tool (about 4 bucks in O'rilley) is quite handy while removing and placing the bolt back in place as the space is quite tight and u cant get fingers in there whithout removing other parts.
3) Ratchet with couple of extensions with total around 12-15"

Process:
1) Locate CPS and remove the screw mounted to the engine.
2) Pull out the sensor with wiring plugged in and once its out, remove the wiring.
3) Keep the O ring or buy a new one as the new replacement part dont come with one.
4) Connect the new sensor to the wiring and put it back in the engine block.
5) Put the screw in place using magnetic pick tool and use ratchet and extensions to fasten it.

All done.

Thanks for the follow-up. I do have a suggestion though.

While you included steps for things like "unplug the sensor" and "plug the sensor in", you did not give any tips on how to find the sensor that took you 3 hours to locate. That would be more helpful than telling someone to unplug it once they found it.

The CPS sensor is an interesting one to me. I read about it all the time as problems for people but this is one of those I have yet to experience out of 7 of these I have worked on. My luck is probably running out!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #7
blackbeast
Rep

Sure. I wanted to take pictures but that sensor location is not camera friendly without removing air filter etc. Lot of wires/hoses on the way and it is located near the right end of the engine block. You have to move the wires little bit with screw driver or something and almost have to look from just above the fender.

The bolt u see in this picture is the one visible to us that is related to that sensor.
Attached Images

Last edited by blackbeast; 09-11-2017 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0