New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

DCT question

As i've moved from the auto of the 23i to the DCT i've found it makes all sorts of clunks and thuds.

Dealer says this is normal however when I slow to stop at traffic lights (for example) the car stops, then after a pause (keeping the same pressure on the brake pedal) there is a judder in the brake pedal and the cars slips forward a bit.

If I increase the pressure on the brakes this doesn't happen but I notice that the revs dip and then rise slightly when this occurs.

I've an idea it's the car changing to another gear but just wanted to ask if this was normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

definitely not normal... however you might be treating the car too gently, if there's such a thing... i know a lot of people have trouble adjusting to drive and brake by wire cars and they try to modulate braking just like in a 1980s car. by the way, DCT is smoother than any auto tranny and smoother than a manual
      11-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540i/6, Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Andy View Post
As i've moved from the auto of the 23i to the DCT i've found it makes all sorts of clunks and thuds.

Dealer says this is normal however when I slow to stop at traffic lights (for example) the car stops, then after a pause (keeping the same pressure on the brake pedal) there is a judder in the brake pedal and the cars slips forward a bit.

If I increase the pressure on the brakes this doesn't happen but I notice that the revs dip and then rise slightly when this occurs.

I've an idea it's the car changing to another gear but just wanted to ask if this was normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
definitely not normal... however you might be treating the car too gently, if there's such a thing... i know a lot of people have trouble adjusting to drive and brake by wire cars and they try to modulate braking just like in a 1980s car. by the way, DCT is smoother than any auto tranny and smoother than a manual
I have had a similar experience when driving. The brake pedal feels unnatural. I believe that the transmission is disengaging / engaging the clutch when that happens and the revs rise/fall slightly.

On a steep hill if you're not careful the car can roll back slightly and it can shock you if you're not ready for it thinking that it idles and crawls like a traditional automatic. It's similar, but it's not the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
heha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4

i have not much of this issue but i always hearing a bell sound tick click around tat area not sure where isit from, anyone experience?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
MikeChrista
Private
Rep
Drives: SDRIVE35i Space Grey

I have not suffered from any clonks or judders from my DCT - sounds like there is something wrong to me!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
heha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4

gearbox is fine. just then sometime there is sound not sure where isit coming from, aircon part till the gearbox. lik a bell ring sound ring ring
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Geodoc
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
I agree with Memphis - the DCT is smooth, smooth, smooth!!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
bill123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChrista View Post
I have not suffered from any clonks or judders from my DCT
+1
      11-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Not normal. DCT is smooth.

Sounds like you are pressing the break pedal too far. The break pedal takes getting used to. You do not need to press is as far down as you would with most cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

No problems here.

T
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Not normal. DCT is smooth.

Sounds like you are pressing the break pedal too far. The break pedal takes getting used to. You do not need to press is as far down as you would with most cars.
Actually when I get the judder forward I am hardly pressing the brake at all but if I press firmer this judder does not happen but then I feel i'm braking too hard.

The "clunk" is when I drop into neutral. There is a noise and a small thud.

Everything else with the gear change is fine. Just this strange pulling forward problem.

It says in the manual that in "D" mode the car does not drop into 1st. Mine most certainly does, unlike the slush box in my other E89 .

Car goes back next Monday to have a new radio fitted as the current one is faulty. So I will ask for a drive in another DCT when i'm there to compare.

To add to the nonsense the dam alarm keeps going off now
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually when I get the judder forward I am hardly pressing the brake at all but if I press firmer this judder does not happen but then I feel i'm braking too hard.

The "clunk" is when I drop into neutral. There is a noise and a small thud.

Everything else with the gear change is fine. Just this strange pulling forward problem.

It says in the manual that in "D" mode the car does not drop into 1st. Mine most certainly does, unlike the slush box in my other E89 .

Car goes back next Monday to have a new radio fitted as the current one is faulty. So I will ask for a drive in another DCT when i'm there to compare.

To add to the nonsense the dam alarm keeps going off now
The break pedal with the Z4 is a learned activity. Once you have driven the car a few miles you'll get the knack and the juddering will stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
m999psw
Rep
Drives: 35i

I think I read in the manual that with the DCT that if you keep your foot on the brake when stopped when it is released it will pull away for a limited time without rolling back - hill start function? When at standstill and in drive if I do release the brake a bit the car does try to move forward. A bit difficult to explain but it does work and as the manual describes.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by m999psw View Post
I think I read in the manual that with the DCT that if you keep your foot on the brake when stopped when it is released it will pull away for a limited time without rolling back - hill start function? When at standstill and in drive if I do release the brake a bit the car does try to move forward. A bit difficult to explain but it does work and as the manual describes.
Creep function. Found on automatics but most dual clutches will have this function as well. Works well in stop and go traffic.

T
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #15
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T89 View Post
Creep function. Found on automatics but most dual clutches will have this function as well. Works well in stop and go traffic.
And originally in the MT of the 1950 Studebaker as 'Hill Holder.'
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #16
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Our car always sets off in first too. The cars I test drove all took off in 2nd, but not mine. I didn't bother asking about it at the time, but I'm starting to think that maybe I should talk to a service adviser about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Costanza View Post
Our car always sets off in first too. The cars I test drove all took off in 2nd, but not mine. I didn't bother asking about it at the time, but I'm starting to think that maybe I should talk to a service adviser about it.
You could take the car to your son's friend Jerry's BMW service guy, who also happens look a lot like Ray's Barone's brother Robert.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #18
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
You could take the car to your son's friend Jerry's BMW service guy, who also happens look a lot like Ray's Barone's brother Robert.
haha. Ya. The Maestro mentioned that guy when he came over and we were shooting stick at The Place To Be.

He's crazy though. Stole Jerry car once.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #19
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Costanza View Post
haha. Ya. The Maestro mentioned that guy when he came over and we were shooting stick at The Place To Be.

He's crazy though. Stole Jerry car once.
Yes, he did but it was out of love for the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Quote:

Old post I know....did you get an answer from the dealer?

The DCT in the Z4 is (or rather, should be) most definitely silent in operation.
I had an Audi before this with their DSG (or whatever they call it) - a bag of nails....crashing and banging about. The only way you could drive that car smoothly was to emulate a bank robber!
For normal driving it was a PITA. Not smooth and very clunky.
The BMW version is (again, should be) a dream....
And the hill hold function holds the car stationary for 2 seconds to enable you to gather the old girls skirts up and thunder off.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #21
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

No resolution to this as yet.

Car still doing it but i've only 700 miles on the car so far and most of those have been to the dealer and back.

Dealer thinks I need a few more miles on the car and it could actually be the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #22
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

1600 miles so far and I haven't had any such experiences. The cabin is a little creaky for my taste, too much plastic, but some well placed felt pads should remedy that.

Speaking of the DCT... Tried Sport+ for the first time today...holy crap that snaps your head back! Transforms from boulevard cruiser to angry monster.
Appreciate 0