New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Question Going nuts trying to stream Pandora via bluetooth!!

OK; this shouldn't be this damned difficult! 2013 Z4 with premium audio, no tech package. I got the iPhone 5 paired with the system, but I can't figure out how to stream Pandora via Bluetooth. On my Mazda there's a Bluetooth tab on the audio screen and when you push that it searches for any Bluetooth device and if you've got Pandora turned on it automatically streams it. Is this not possible on a Z4 without a "Y-cable" or a phone bracket or some other such BS accessory? What's wrong with this picture?!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

My 2012 Z4 streams Pandora just fine. I have BMW apps. Without BMW apps you might have to go with a usb cable and change stations on your phone
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
paris1
Captain
Rep

It appears that BMW requires use of a cable connector or snap in cradle. Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Without BMW apps you might have to go with a usb cable and change stations on your phone
+1

I use the apple usb cable and select ipod. Stations need to be changed using phone.

My 2012 has premium audio and no idrive (and consequently no BMW apps)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
+1

I use the apple usb cable and select ipod. Stations need to be changed using phone.

My 2012 has premium audio and no idrive (and consequently no BMW apps)
You have the same set up as I do. So BMW Apps will not work without iDrive? I just find it incredible that I have to hard wire the phone into the system with a cable or cradle and that the blue tooth connection which works fine for the phone part is useless for streaming audio!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
You have the same set up as I do. So BMW Apps will not work without iDrive? I just find it incredible that I have to hard wire the phone into the system with a cable or cradle and that the blue tooth connection which works fine for the phone part is useless for streaming audio!
I don't see an issue. Streaming kills my iPhone battery so I use a cable to charge the iPhone while listening anyways.. So really I use the cable for two things, charging and music.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Quote:
Same here, I have to hard wire mine into my so called premium audio. Meanwhile I can stream it perfectly fine on the Mercredes and the Hyundai. Yes Hyundai
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I don't see an issue. Streaming kills my iPhone battery so I use a cable to charge the iPhone while listening anyways.. So really I use the cable for two things, charging and music.
Except opening and closing the console lid to fiddle with the phone is a PITA. It's probably not politically correct to make model comparisons here, but why can I stream via Bluetooth on my $25k 2013 Mazda (without tech package) and I can't on this beast. I've got my iPhone mounted in a console bracket on that car right in front of the 12V port for charging if I want and I can just glance down an make station changes (at stop lights) or perform some functions with steering wheel controls or on the touch screen. Which reminds me, if I hook it up in the console using the harness, are there any steering wheel controls that work with it? BTW: I haven't noticed any extraordinary drain on the iPhone battery when streaming audio.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

If I'm streaming at home using my own wireless router I notice no drain in battery life. If I'm streaming while traveling I have about 1 hour before my battery is completley discharged.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
nrevezzo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 28i

I have a 2013 Z4 without iDrive and the bluetooth connection is only for phone function connectivity. I believe if you look thorugh the manual it says that somewhere. Your only choices are connect you phone through the usb cable or what I did was get a bluetooth receiver which I leave connected in my console. My iphone then connects to both the car and the bluetooth receiver. I can then stream the music on my phone through that connection. I've never tried using Pandora but I think it would work in this situation also.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Except opening and closing the console lid to fiddle with the phone is a PITA. It's probably not politically correct to make model comparisons here, but why can I stream via Bluetooth on my $25k 2013 Mazda (without tech package) and I can't on this beast. I've got my iPhone mounted in a console bracket on that car right in front of the 12V port for charging if I want and I can just glance down an make station changes (at stop lights) or perform some functions with steering wheel controls or on the touch screen. Which reminds me, if I hook it up in the console using the harness, are there any steering wheel controls that work with it? BTW: I haven't noticed any extraordinary drain on the iPhone battery when streaming audio.
I don't open and close the console lid to fiddle with my iPhone. The usb cable is long enough that I can have the phone sitting up in front of the dct shifter, in the little basin and I can see it from the drivers seat.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #12
supercarfreak
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4

make sure you update your system on BMW website. This fixed the problem for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 12:24 AM   #13
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercarfreak View Post
make sure you update your system on BMW website. This fixed the problem for me.
Could you please explain what you mean here?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 12:30 AM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
That's how it is unfortunately. I got a 2015 328 loaner car and the situation is the same. No idrive/BMW apps = no Bluetooth audio streaming.

I agree, Hyundai/Kia has some nice tech in their cars these days. Certainly takes away some of the sting of driving a fwd car. I frequently get a veloster turbo as a rental car when I travel and there is definitely a lot more in cabin tech than my z4.

I'm about to skip out on backup camera for another car because it comes bundled in a $4500 package. Gotta love German option pricing eh?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #15
supercarfreak
Private
Rep

Quote:
Could you please explain what you mean here?
Heres all the info buddy http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html
hope this help.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercarfreak View Post
Heres all the info buddy http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html
hope this help.
So when I enter the last seven of the VIN, it rejects it. Possibly because I don't have iDrive?

"You can perform this software update yourself. To do so, all you need is a standard USB memory stick with sufficient memory capacity. If required, your BMW Dealer will also have a USB memory stick for you to purchase. To perform this software update, you will require the USB audio interface (included in optional equipment codes 6FL, 6NH, 6NK, 6NL, 6NS or 6NR) as well as the Control Display and iDrive. Your vehicle can be updated provided that you have the ‘Software update’ option on your ‘Settings’ menu in the Control Display."
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #17
supercarfreak
Private
Rep

Quote:
So when I enter the last seven of the VIN, it rejects it. Possibly because I don't have iDrive?

"You can perform this software update yourself. To do so, all you need is a standard USB memory stick with sufficient memory capacity. If required, your BMW Dealer will also have a USB memory stick for you to purchase. To perform this software update, you will require the USB audio interface (included in optional equipment codes 6FL, 6NH, 6NK, 6NL, 6NS or 6NR) as well as the Control Display and iDrive. Your vehicle can be updated provided that you have the ‘Software update’ option on your ‘Settings’ menu in the Control Display."
oh sorry its my mistake, i thought you have idrive. Well in this case sorry i can't offer other solution.
Appreciate 0