New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
A smart car spun into my lane this morning, pushing me into a pile of snow.

Interesting drive this morning in Toronto, with the snow about 3 cm and 14 degrees fahrenheit. suddenly everyone on the road forgets how to drive.

I have snow tires, doing 37mph in the right lane when a slow going Smart car attempted a lane change and spun right in front of me. he locked up his brakes and slowly slid into my way.

I braked hard, ABS and Ice-X fully going at it, and still not enough time to stop. so to avoid him, I directed my car into what little gap i have left without hitting him. when I run out of road, I plowed into a pile of snow on the curb. no contacts were made between the two cars.

we stopped as the image shows, 1 feet or 2 apart.

QUESTION: should I have stayed straight on and hit him, for insurance sakes? I don't have a dash cam, and the guy straightened his car before pictures can be taken. We exchanged information but I have no real way to proving he forced me into the curb.

Edit: I didn't mean to hit him on purpose, I meant that I have no room to stop. so the choice was to crash into him or to crash into snow pile. neither was a good choice but people are telling me that whatever damage I have cause to my car is my own responsibility. That just sounds like a whole lot of bad luck for trying to do the "right" thing.
Attached Images

Last edited by army_men; 12-17-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

If no damage was done, why involve insurance? If damage was done then stick to the truth and speak with the insurer.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
If no damage was done, why involve insurance? If damage was done then stick to the truth and speak with the insurer.
Yea I agree, not planning to involve insurance but I might have damage, I have to wash the car and see if the front bumper has scrapes or cracks. Nothing major.

I guess I was asking people for "what would you have done".
      12-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 sdrive35i sound/sport/nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_men View Post
I was asking people for "what would you have done".
Well considering I have a great insurance company, even having time to sit back and think about it for 10 minutes, I would have done what you would have done. Easily.

First, there might not be any damage. Secondly, if there is, it costs the insurance company a paint job repair, and me my $50 deductible.

Now, in the heat of the moment, I DEFINITELY would have done what you would have done...my immediate reaction is always to avoid contact with other cars. Hitting someone else just causes a whole slew of possibilities...whose fault was it; time for adjusters to look at damage; time for insurance companies to go to battle; and of course, much more probable damage to your car than just a pile of snow.

You made the right decision, easily. And who knows, if you had stayed straight you might have bumped the smart car into oncoming traffic...maybe you saved a life or two?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_z89
Quote:
Originally Posted by army_men View Post
I was asking people for "what would you have done".
Well considering I have a great insurance company, even having time to sit back and think about it for 10 minutes, I would have done what you would have done. Easily.

First, there might not be any damage. Secondly, if there is, it costs the insurance company a paint job repair, and me my $50 deductible.

Now, in the heat of the moment, I DEFINITELY would have done what you would have done...my immediate reaction is always to avoid contact with other cars. Hitting someone else just causes a whole slew of possibilities...whose fault was it; time for adjusters to look at damage; time for insurance companies to go to battle; and of course, much more probable damage to your car than just a pile of snow.

You made the right decision, easily. And who knows, if you had stayed straight you might have bumped the smart car into oncoming traffic...maybe you saved a life or two?
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Then yes, I'd have done what you did.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

In hindsight, a dash cam would have been great, since it removes many questions your insurance company might have

If you have to wash your car to check if there is damage, I think that reinforces you made the correct choice because contact with the other car would have been damage for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Dude, get a carcam asap if you haven't already, we live in Toronto, you know! Glad that you were not hurt and hopefully your car also.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
nrevezzo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 28i

IMO; you did the right thing. That's what I would have done.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Ok, that raises a good question: anybody recommend a dash cam for the Z4?
Appreciate 0