New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 sdrive35i sound/sport/nav

Does VMR engrave/emboss their wheels anywhere on the rim besides their center caps?

Hey guys, so sorry for the weird question, but my online searching was futile.

I was about to purchase a used set of wheels. The seller advertised them as VMR, but when I went to get them, he said he didn't have the center caps anymore. He promises that the center caps said VMR, but he doesn't have them anymore. We searched all over the wheels and couldn't find any trace of a VMR logo.

He said he had a potential buyer before me who didn't buy them because the VMR logo is supposed to be engraved/written somewhere on the inside of the rim. I'm starting to think that this potential buyer didn't know what he was talking about, and since I couldn't find anything online, I figured I'd see what the online BMW community had to say.

So, my question is: does VMR engrave/emboss their wheels with any logo of some sort other than their center caps?

To help the situation, my friend just got a set of VMR's, and this is a picture from the inside of one of his rims:

I didn't see any other VMR logo/engravement on the inside of his rims, but I couldn't take them off his car to look at the entire inside. Then, I got the seller to send me a picture of the inside of his rims and it looked like this:

So, neither rim (from what I could see) had a VMR logo engraved into the inside of the rim, but both of the rims say "1/4 oz" and "7 G" on the inside.

Anyway, that's all the info I have. Someone please clarify if you have the ability! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 & E89

Those pictures are only of the wheel weights. They are installed to make the wheel balanced and not wobble while driving.

A makers stamp would be on the inside of a spoke or something similar
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Right, I understand.

I'm just trying to see if someone knows if VMR (or even Avant Garde) does put their stamp on the inside. After talking to two people they don't think so. But I'm trying to see if someone else knows for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
hmmm i don't remember seeing any logo on my VMR 710. I will go look again tonight.
      11-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

LOL. Wheel weights...

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_men View Post
hmmm i don't remember seeing any logo on my VMR 710. I will go look again tonight.
Thanks. That would be very very much appreciated. I'm tentatively picking up the rims tomorrow early morning, so it would be nice to know for sure before I get them.

Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e85sbm View Post
Those pictures are only of the wheel weights. They are installed to make the wheel balanced and not wobble while driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
LOL. Wheel weights...

Lol guys, I know what those are. I just thought since they had the exact same information, that would cause people who don't know for sure (like all of us), lean towards knowing they were VMR. But perhaps all wheel weights have the exact same info, and that is of no value. I'm just trying to get some solid info.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

I have a set of Avant Garde and I do not remember seeing their mark anywhere on the wheels except for the center cap.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just got confirmation from VMR that the rims I'm looking at are indeed real VMR.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_z89 View Post
Just got confirmation from VMR that the rims I'm looking at are indeed real VMR.
Did they have a record of the previous sale or something?

Also, it seems like your root question is one of authenticity and if I were in your shoes I would get it in writing these are genuine wheels and pay with a method that has recourse like paypal.

Good luck and please post pics!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
hyper1
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013, Z4/28

VMR

I have a set and did not see any kind of engraving inside.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Did they have a record of the previous sale or something?

Also, it seems like your root question is one of authenticity and if I were in your shoes I would get it in writing these are genuine wheels and pay with a method that has recourse like paypal.

Good luck and please post pics!
They didn't have a record of a previous sale, however I sent them the following six pictures, and the salesman I was speaking with had his warehouse manager confirm that they were authentic VMR rims based on the "specific locations/style of type/numbers & letters uniform with our other wheels."

Here are the six pictures I sent them:

Apparently these six pictures were sufficient to confirm their authenticity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper1 View Post
I have a set and did not see any kind of engraving inside.

Thanks for this information. I appreciate it! Hopefully if someone else has this question in the future they can reference this thread to help them out.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Also, gentlemen, after further inspecting the wheels, I decided to not purchase them. The seller had them advertised as "literally just bought", when in fact two of the wheels have welds and cracks, and three of them have multiple bends.

I went with a brand new set of the custom-powdercoated gloss gunmetal Alufelgen SF-71's from Mod Bargains.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_z89 View Post
Also, gentlemen, after further inspecting the wheels, I decided to not purchase them. The seller had them advertised as "literally just bought", when in fact two of the wheels have welds and cracks, and three of them have multiple bends.

I went with a brand new set of the custom-powdercoated gloss gunmetal Alufelgen SF-71's from Mod Bargains.
Thanks for sharing the info pete.

Looks from the pics like those 19s are using non RFT rubber.

All of our community's discussions suggest RFT are the main culprit in 19" wheel cracks, and your posting suggests it might be that 19" wheel size just doesn't provide enough sidewall to protect the wheel from big pothole hits.

I have been on the fence about going back to 19s + non RFT for the look and this has helped me stay the course with 18s
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Thanks for sharing the info pete.

Looks from the pics like those 19s are using non RFT rubber.

All of our community's discussions suggest RFT are the main culprit in 19" wheel cracks, and your posting suggests it might be that 19" wheel size just doesn't provide enough sidewall to protect the wheel from big pothole hits.

I have been on the fence about going back to 19s + non RFT for the look and this has helped me stay the course with 18s
Yeah, there's always risk in going with less of a sidewall for protection. I have a feeling the previous owner abused these wheels though. Considering he was trying to lie to the local Craigslist market about the condition of the rims, I bet he wasn't the most gentle on his rims. But yes, I agree that 19's are harder to prevent any damage. But that's another reason I went with a low pressure cast wheel (like Avant Garde or Alufelgen) over the gravity cast wheel (VMR).
Appreciate 0