New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #1
ChiBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT Sold

NOOB Eloping in a Z4 - What bags fit? (Sorry!)

I did a bit of googling and searching the forum. Couldn't quite find the answer (though I'm sure its here). Sorry.

You will see from my signature that i'm 135i owner interloping here for the sake of eloping.

My girl and I are going to Shenandoah National Park for a three day weekend to get married. The coupe is staying put in Chicago, but through a cool site called Relay Rides--think Airbnb for cars--I'm renting a Z4 for the weekend.

My girl, the great American outdoors, the world's best looking roadster and a naturally aspirated inline 6. Does it get better?

Getting down to mundane matters. What bags fit in the car with the top down? We will be travelling light and getting married in our hiking boots so no big white dress or tux to worry about. What kinds of bags can I take?

Glad to be part of the Z4 club if only for a weekend. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
Reverse Flash
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 sDrive30i

It's hard to explain here, but to get a more visual reference check out the E89 reviews over Youtube. Lots of good stuff there, it gets compared with other convertibles as well.

As for me, I'm not a golfer but it can fit a set inside even with the top down. Haven't tried going topless for more than 1 hour, with or without the top 2 luggage bags seemed to fit fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
SpikeMilligan
35is driver
Rep
Drives: 2012 S-drive 35is

If it's an e89 (2009 or later) then it has room for two airline-size carry-on bags and a couple of small backpacks as well as collapsible hiking poles. There is a tiny bit of storage behind the seats, good for a couple of laptop bags.

If you see a deep sea blue Z4 in Shenandoah this weekend, wave! That will be me.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
ChiBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mine is Crimson Red. I'll be looking for you.

By two carryon bags, do you mean the suitcases they let you take on the plane and fit in the overhead compartment? And I'm talking about with the top off.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #5
SpikeMilligan
35is driver
Rep
Drives: 2012 S-drive 35is

Yes, the suitcases that fit in the overhead compartment. There is a cover that moves down over the luggage to "reserve the space" for the hardtop. You have to make sure it's all the way down and clicked into place or the top won't move (there is a microswitch where the cover clicks into the trunk floor).

Here are some pictures of the cover open and closed. http://www.roadstersolutions.com/product686.html
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

Personally, I don't find the trunk space all that challenging for a weekend getaway. In fact, I can grocery shop and it really surprises me how much I can fit in there with the top down.
The only thing about it to consider a bit is, when you load up and put the top down, there is limited access to your stuff. So if you need to take a bag out, you may have to raise the roof.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

two carry on bags will fit for sure. There will be enough room afterwards to have a small laptop bag fit in front or behind the bags. When we traveled 2500 miles over 7 days to West Virginia and back the last time we had the car packed fully but still had the top down.

Here is how we did it.
2 carry on size bags, not stuffed, fit size by side, (the wheels on one bag were inline with the bag and not sticking out underneath or on the side. the other was a more modern bag with rotating wheels under it)
1 laptop bag fit on top of those bags toward the front of the trunk area.
Several coats and sweaters laying on top of bags.

pulled down the top guard over the bags and locked it into place.

Then pulled the seats forward to place extras that are no more than 4 inches wide (can be tall but not wide) then put the seats back to the normal riding location.

the ride throughout that trip was very comfortable for a sports car. It was bumpy but that is what the Z does.

We rode with the top up on the highways but when we hit the mountains we simply pulled off for 20 seconds and drop the top. Obviously you can plan better if you have the vehicle before you leave but if you are relaying (picking it up after you leave somewhere) then i would be conservative. It wouldn't be fun to get to the car and have to mail stuff home because it doesn't fit.

Have a fun trip and post many pictures (especially of the Z ( i mean wedding)
      06-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

here's what we were able to fit in the car and still put the top down. The acarryons are standard 21 inch bags.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...0&d=1363145688

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by teezee View Post
here's what we were able to fit in the car and still put the top down. The acarryons are standard 21 inch bags.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...0&d=1363145688
Impressive.
All that in the trunk and still able to drop the top too?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

If you want the roof to open I would go with 1 regular 22" carry on, and a duffel bag as the second carry on. The partition in the luggage area cuts out some height too, so 2x regular 22" carry on will fit fine but the roof may not move

In response to your rhetorical question on what would be better.. i would swap out naturally aspirated for 2 turbos with full bolt on mods
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #11
ChiBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
If you want the roof to open I would go with 1 regular 22" carry on, and a duffel bag as the second carry on. The partition in the luggage area cuts out some height too, so 2x regular 22" carry on will fit fine but the roof may not move

In response to your rhetorical question on what would be better.. i would swap out naturally aspirated for 2 turbos with full bolt on mods
The 135i with the N54 is in the shop now getting a Cobb, FMIC and intakes.

Just because we see them in the rearview mirror doesn't mean we have to look down on our naturally aspirated brothers.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiBimmer View Post
The 135i with the N54 is in the shop now getting a Cobb, FMIC and intakes.

Just because we see them in the rearview mirror doesn't mean we have to look down on our naturally aspirated brothers.
Not looking down, just that in my opinion more power would improve the experience
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #13
ChiBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update. Bad news. The wedding is on but the Z4 is off.

The owner on Relay Rides flaked out and can't meet. I reserved a 328i from another owner and now at the last minute he flaked out too.

It felt like I was telling everyone how great relay rides was. Cool cars for less than the cost of a Mustang from Avis. Well, I've now got a Mustang from Avis.

Sorry I couldn't be in the Z4 club for a weekend.

So, no Ultimate Driving Machine but I got the Ultimate Girl so I'm doing good.
Appreciate 0