New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
stablearchitecture
Rep
Drives: Sdrive 35iS - loaded

Garage List
My New Z4 - 35is thought and comments

I’m just getting to know my new Z4 - I say new, but in reality it’s new “to me”.

After four months of looking for the right car I finally purchased myself a Z4 in early January, since then the weather has been typical in the UK and I’ve only driven it a couple of times so only covered 100 miles or so at the most.
I just wanted to share my photos and my first thoughts about the car.

I have owned many many BMWs and other decent quality cars over the years, I’m still amazed at how things progress as you change generations from one model to the next. I owned a previous model Z4, a 3.0 sport. to be honest I only kept it for a couple of months as I really didn’t get on with it at all.
I sold my 650 cab in late September with a view to tracking down a three-year-old M3 cab through the winter months.
I chose the new Z4 as just couldn’t find an M3 cab that fitted the bill perfectly, this is therefore came up and to be honest was such a bargain I couldn’t really resist. Besides my seven-year-old’s favourite car is a Z4 - so the choice was partly driven by him.

Driving Impressions:
I haven’t done many miles, the weather’s been pretty bad but so far I’ve got to say I’m extremely impressed. The car has a lovely feel, The gearbox is so much better than the old SMG’s but I’ve had in a couple of M3s.
I would like to have a bit more control over the speed of the gearchange, it’s a shame it linked into the comfort/sport button, it would’ve been nice to have had the control over the gearbox taken straight out of the M3.
The car is very rapid, it could easily be an everyday pocket rocket ( although for me it’s a sunny day machine).
I haven’t yet had chance to drive her properly with the roof down, my only complaint at the moment is that with the roof up the exhaust note is rather dulled, on the short trip I’ve had with the roof down the whole car feels so much different, clearly the exhaust can be heard when the roof is down and that to me makes all the difference when driving the car.

I’m sorry but I can’t compare it to any of the other Z4’s and the only one I drove previous to this was a relatively basic launch car, and that was two years ago now.

Colour:
It’s been many years since I have a white car, as an early teenager in the early nineties I had a stream of white cars, but White seems to have come back into fashion.
I was particularly looking for either a white or black car, but with either colour choice I wanted the red leather. My preference this time was very white exterior on the basis that my last six series was black and although it looked fantastic it tended to show swirl marks in the paintwork unless she spent a long time polishing it.
This car also has extended leather, thankfully BMW have resisted the temptation to pull the coloured leather above the centre line of the dashboard, so the lower part is trimmed in red, the upper in black leather both with stitching detail clearly shown.

Toys:
I’m very impressed with all of the toys the car has, in particular the Bluetooth integration of audio and the control of the iPod.
The heated steering wheel is a nice touch, but not really that necessary.
The seats are comfortable and figure hugging, very much like every other BMW sport seat.
The ride is surprisingly comfortable, however the 19 inch tyres do produce quite a bit of road noise.

Modifications so far:
I have changed the lights to Angel eyes - I was surprised how easy this was to do, it literally took two or 3 min per headlight and fantastic results.

I have also fitted an aftermarket amplifier - the only extra missing from this car was a speaker upgrade - see my separate posting for full details.

Future modifications:
I have a pair of tweeters on order to fit within the recess within the tops of the doors, hopefully this should bring some of the sound out of the foot well and further up towards the driver.
I’m considering fitting a smart top system, however the car already has the comfort access but you can’t drop the roof whilst driving and to me this is a vital especially given that the car takes quite a while from fully open to fully closed ( and vice versa), I don’t think you would have enough time at a set of traffic lights to put the roof up or down.
Also thinking of a software update to provide the BMW Iphone apps, the car has Idrive connect so I have some integration but the iPhone isn’t really fully compatible at the moment and it won’t put my calendars or my e-mails onto the screen. This isn’t so vital as really this is more of a plaything than a workhorse, however it would be nice to have all the toys.

Conclusion:
Without doubt it’s a great car, I reserve for judgement until the sun starts to shine and I get chance to flash it across the country lanes, at that point I suspect it will be mighty impressive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
FalconFlyer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6

Looks great... but the steering wheel is on the wrong side

I also have comfort access system... and installed the SmartTop... I would highly recommend it..

I would also recommend ESS tuning to bring the car up to 400 hp... turns the car into monster. Easy to do.. plug their computer.. and let it do it's thing

You might was to change out the front turn signal bulbs... http://www.bimmian.com/ has them

And finally.. I would change out the AE lights (I know you already did this), but I would use the Alpine MSS HID kit...

Congrats again... great color combination!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
stablearchitecture
Rep
Drives: Sdrive 35iS - loaded

Garage List
Judging from your location, I mean completely the wrong country as well.

From our various holidays in Florida you clearly have the weather for dropping the roof - having said that it would be almost too hot
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

very nice i love the white over red combo. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Nice!
Appreciate 0