New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Coding E89 Z'st

I am a new Bimmer, 2009 Z4, owner and have never coded.
I love working on my Z and want to learn to code but do not want to attempt to code for the 1st time.
I am looking for any one in the Boston area or any where to help me code and learn the skill.
I will buy the the cable and other needed items.

The Z has Comfort Access and here is what it does already:
Doors lock via ridges on door handles
Doors unlock when near car and pull up on the door handle
The Hardtop will now open and close with the FOB and windows as well.

From all the other owners out there here is what I would love to code the Z for:
- add folding mirrors when car is shut off.
- Doors unlock automatically when you turn off the engine
- Windows open close with FOB when the roof is up
- Opening doors will not interrupt auto window up
- turn on the torque and power meter for your video screen?? Is this possible/available as with the 3 series?
- Turn signal from 3 times to 5
- Transfer iPhone ringtones to car
- DVD-in-motion
- Turn off 90 seconds of dinging when a seatbelt is not fastened.
- Turn off the warning on your GPS screen when you start the car
- Tires show temp and psi under vehicle status.

Any other items recommended would be appreciated.
Thanx in advance.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I certainly know that torque dials etc are not possible. Nor is ringtone transfer. When people say 'coded' they simply mean that existing functions can be turned off or on, not new functions added. Ring tone transferral was never an existing function of this car. There may well be others in your list that are not possible as they were never implemented, never mind turned on or off.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
I certainly know that torque dials etc are not possible. Nor is ringtone transfer. When people say 'coded' they simply mean that existing functions can be turned off or on, not new functions added. Ring tone transferral was never an existing function of this car. There may well be others in your list that are not possible as they were never implemented, never mind turned on or off.
Interested in what can and cant be done (and how) for non comfort access cars. Got any good links ?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
09cbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4RIDER View Post
I am a new Bimmer, 2009 Z4, owner and have never coded.
I love working on my Z and want to learn to code but do not want to attempt to code for the 1st time.
I am looking for any one in the Boston area or any where to help me code and learn the skill.
I will buy the the cable and other needed items.

The Z has Comfort Access and here is what it does already:
Doors lock via ridges on door handles
Doors unlock when near car and pull up on the door handle
The Hardtop will now open and close with the FOB and windows as well.

From all the other owners out there here is what I would love to code the Z for:
- turn on the torque and power meter for your video screen?? Is this possible/available as with the 3 series?
- DVD-in-motion

Any other items recommended would be appreciated.
Thanx in advance.
Did you ever get those features coded? I live in Boston and would be interested in most of those as well.

2024 BMW M2
2022 BMW i4 M50
2011 BMW Z4 sdrive 35i | ESS Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
HABANEROTE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 09 35i

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I will give you what you can and what you cant..

YES Doors lock via ridges on door handles
YES Doors unlock when near car and pull up on the door handle
YES The Hardtop will now open and close with the FOB and windows as well.
YES- add folding mirrors when car is shut off.
YES- Doors unlock automatically when you turn off the engine
YES- Windows open close with FOB when the roof is up
YES- Opening doors will not interrupt auto window up
NO- turn on the torque and power meter for your video screen?? Is this possible/available as with the 3 series?
YES- Turn signal from 3 times to 5
NO- Transfer iPhone ringtones to car
YES- DVD-in-motion
YES- Turn off 90 seconds of dinging when a seatbelt is not fastened.
YES- Turn off the warning on your GPS screen when you start the car
NO- Tires show temp and psi under vehicle status.

MISSING:

ROOF CAN OPEN AT UP TO 35MPH

HAZZARD INDICATOR GOES 2 TIMES FAST THE PAUSE AND SO ON

THATS WHAT I HAVE ON MI CAR..

MIAMI BMW CODING

THEY DID MY CAR
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

No BUT I am still intertested but have not found anyone locally, in the Boston Market, who can do it. This guy did reply to say he could REMOTELY code the Z for $120. Here is the info. I did not trust downloading programs into my car remotely, as we all know how that works out many times with our computers.

If you find anyone, I would be happy to split the cost to code 2 cars at once. The 3 series forums seem to have tons of people who are experts in coding and do cars for free as part of the community. Does not seem so on the Z sights.

BMW Coding Z4 (BMWZ4RIDER)

Sent By:
"Code MyCar" <codemycar@gmail.com>
Good afternoon and thank you for providing me your email. I can code your car for you remotely if you would like; I can code the DVD in Motion and any other options you would like. I charge $120 for the service which includes:

1) Sending you all of the files that we need to code your vehicle
2) Remotely installing the files
3) Remotely coding your vehicle with as many options as you would like (I offer free recoding in the event you take your vehicle to the dealer and they clear the coding).

I have also attached some references as well, but feel free to take a look at my Youtube and Facebook pages below.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

could always get a smart top (yeah its not cheap) but for those without comfort access would be good
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Does any know how to do it yourself?
I mean, cable required, software, etc?

I would be more interesting by changing my car properties myself and do exactly what I want to do. Plus it can become a good new project to start.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

I didn't dare so far, but real coding appears to be quite easy:

You will need a Laptop with Win XP, a BMW USB OBD K+DCAN ICAN/DCAN cable (from ebay) and software. Easiest way seems to be with "NCS expert" (SP-data v49) and "NCS Dummy" (unfortunately BMW software, no legal copies available, but giyf).

Address the correct control box (e.g. car access module for door related coding).

Then apply the desired modifications, e.g.:
  • Open & close Roof up to 40 km/h:
    Module ZCTM, "GESCHWINDIGKEIT_E89" (wert_03) --> wert_04
  • Disable 90 sec seatbelt warning ding:
    Module ZABG, "SBR_FAHRER_1" and "SBR_BEIFAHRER_1" (aktiv) --> nicht_aktiv
  • Digital speed indicator:
    Module KOMBI, "BC_DIGITAL_V" (nicht_aktiv) --> aktiv
  • Folding mirrors with open/close on keyfob (requires folding mirrors as extra equipment):
    Module NFRM, "SPIEGEL_KOMFORT_EINKLAPP" (nicht_aktiv) --> aktiv
  • Move wipers to end position when stopping engine:
    Module JBBF, "ZYCLUS_VOLLEND_KLR_AUS" (nicht_aktiv) --> aktiv
  • Disable headlight washer:
    Module JBBF, "SCHEINWERFERREINIGUNG" (aktiv) --> nicht_aktiv
  • Brighter angel eyes (= higher voltage - useless with LEDs!):
    Module FRM2, "PWM_SL_V" and "PWM_SL_V_BEI_AKTIVEN_AL" and "PWM_SL_V_BEI_AKTIVEN_FL" --> wert_03

Source: http://bit.ly/14di8Me, tested only with EU models.

Apply at own risk

BTW: A "softer" solution for less talented programmers is offered as an Android and Iphone app, "BMWhat". With Android, you may use any Bluetooth OBDII device for 10 bucks, no cable stuff required. However, BMWhat is not exactly made for E89s - but you may also use the "E88/135i cabby" profile instead (anyhow, motor paramters will not be shown - use torque pro instead). You can read out and erase fault memory and even code some features with one finger tip on your smartphone. Unfortunately, BMWhat is currently limited to coding the digital speed indicator on our E89s but the developer has promised extensions for the future . I have bought the app and and am happy with it - and already had several contacts with the developper, extremely friendly and responsive to all questions and suggestions.

Best regards

Mick

Last edited by Mick70; 08-22-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

I have Comfort Access, and don't have a problem with hitting the button to fold the mirrors or how the top opens or closes (or at what speed), I'm good with things coded as-is.

However, if there is ONE software modification I'd like made to my IS, it's this:

Pulling both left and right paddles at the same time = neutral.

Right now, I use neutral almost the same way I always have with manuals, by moving the selector into neutral. But, the new Ferraris and newest Porsches employ the above method for neutral, and I'd love it in my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

not to hijack - but why not just use park? Only time I use neutral is a carwash.

Only thing I got the smarttop for is so I don't have to hold the buttons down, as I have comfort access...

yea, that lazy....
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick70 View Post
I didn't dare so far, but real coding appears to be quite easy:

You will need a Laptop with Win XP, a BMW USB OBD K+DCAN ICAN/DCAN cable (from ebay) and software. Easiest way seems to be with "NCS expert" (SP-data v49) and "NCS Dummy" (unfortunately BMW software, no legal copies available, but giyf).

[...]

Best regards

Mick
Ouha! I didn't expect such answer. Thanks a lot!
I already took a look this morning but I will definitely take a closer one with your details.

I stayed at the "NCS expert" and "SP-daten" part this morning but explanations I found were a bit messy.
I needed more to clear this out and know what the required pieces of software do exactly.
.. just not to brick my car and result in a huge paperweight in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
not to hijack - but why not just use park? Only time I use neutral is a carwash..
15+ years of driving manual transmissions. Neutral is an essential part of how I drive, as is shifting gears myself. I bought the IS for the DCT, but not to let the computer drive it for me in D1 or S1. I drive in manual mode, and I use neutral, albeit less than you would in a car with a clutch. The "double pull" (left/right same time) would make it easier to use more.

Also, FWIW, there's a reason Ferrari and Porsche now have this very feature. I'm not just inventing it .
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
not to hijack - but why not just use park? Only time I use neutral is a carwash.
Carwash?, carwash ?

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teezee View Post
Carwash?, carwash ?
Like I said - I'm lazy.....

And really - it's just a car. Yea, i said it. Life's to short to worry about scratches that will happen regardless.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
15+ years of driving manual transmissions. Neutral is an essential part of how I drive, as is shifting gears myself. I bought the IS for the DCT, but not to let the computer drive it for me in D1 or S1. I drive in manual mode, and I use neutral, albeit less than you would in a car with a clutch. The "double pull" (left/right same time) would make it easier to use more.

Also, FWIW, there's a reason Ferrari and Porsche now have this very feature. I'm not just inventing it .
I kind of get it as I too have 10+ years of manual cars, but I just can't see where you would use it on this car (or the others). Even in manual mode you don't have to worry about stalling the car - just hit the brakes. Parking the car - put it in park. Leaving a manual car in neutral is not the safest thing anyway.

I find the new e-brake more of an issue to have to relearn something after 30+ yrs of pushing a pedal or pulling up hard on a lever. No more power slides or using it to help drift.

but - to each their own....I'm probably missing something....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

I'll tell you my coding experience. My friend and I both have the correct cable and software. He is an experienced coder and has coded a couple of dozen cars for various people, and I've only done a little bit of coding for my own car. Note that I DO NOT have Comfort Access. For your list:

Mirror folding via remote is doable. The method that worked on my 335i did not work on the Z4. We ended up trying some experimental stuff and eventually got it to work. Unfortunately I had to get a software flash for my e-parking brake, which wiped out all of the coding. Neither one of us could figure out or remember what we did the first time to get mirror folding to work. So that's where we left it. It's NOT as simple as Mick mentioned.

Works.

We spent a long time trying to get this to work but never did. The same code that worked on my 335i did not work for my Z4.

Did not try

Did not try. Never heard of this feature.

Did not try

- DVD-in-motion
Did not try, since the Z4 does not have iDrive. I had iDrive in the 335i but did not care for this feature. But I've seen it done (on e90) before.

Works

No iDrive on the Z4, but worked in the 335i

Also not listed in your list is corner amber lights delete. There were something like 12 different codes for corner amber light delete (for various make/models) and it's basically trial and error. I ended up just activating all of them and it worked.

Coding is not difficult. You just need the right cable, a laptop running WinXP, and the proper software and data files. The procedures are very particular, so it takes some studying to learn it. And make sure you learn it, because you can in fact brick your car if you are not careful. There are various tutorials available online.

Personally, I think I'm just going to get a SmartTOP to get all of the features I want, namely mirror folding, one touch top up/down, remote top control, and trunk comfort access.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #18
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
Neither one of us could figure out or remember what we did the first time to get mirror folding to work. So that's where we left it. It's NOT as simple as Mick mentioned.[/B]
A friend did it - so it IS as simple as I mentioned, at least with his car... Maybe you did something wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A friend did it - so it IS as simple as I mentioned, at least with his car... Maybe you did something wrong.
Does your friend's car have Comfort Access?

[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
Does your friend's car have Comfort Access?
I could only ask his wife, as he's on a business trip - she said "probably yes" . A new post in the German thread also says that folding the mirrors with the key fob appears to be only possible with comfort access without further efforts (so if you were indeed successful without comfort access, this could be interesting to others with this extra missing).

Time that I start coding so that I could report from my own perception

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I could only ask his wife, as he's on a business trip - she said "probably yes" . A new post in the German thread also says that folding the mirrors with the key fob appears to be only possible with comfort access without further efforts (so if you were indeed successful without comfort access, this could be interesting to others with this extra missing).

Time that I start coding so that I could report from my own perception

Best regards

Mick
Yes, from what I've read, it's trivial if you have Comfort Access. I don't have CA. The way we got mine to work involved temporarily tricking the car into thinking it has Comfort Access. But as I mentioned, neither of us could replicate the steps later on.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #22
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
BTW: A "softer" solution for less talented programmers is offered as an Android and Iphone app, "BMWhat". With Android, you may use any Bluetooth OBDII device for 10 bucks, no cable stuff required. However, BMWhat is not exactly made for E89s - but you may also use the "E88/135i cabby" profile instead (anyhow, motor paramters will not be shown - use torque pro instead). You can read out and erase fault memory and even code some features with one finger tip on your smartphone.
UPDATE:
The latest app version of BMWhat has brought major coding abilities for E87/E88 (and therefore also for our E89s, albeit not all options are useful for us): The app can now address the most important options of (N)FRM(2), CAS, IHKA and KOMBI/ZCTM for coding. I have already tried some of the options mentioned in my first post, everything works like a charm.

Nonetheless, I will keep my D-/K-Can cable that I have just ordered - I want to be able to look behind the scenes.

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0