New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

2011 35i to 2011 35is non-obvious mechanical differences?

I recently changed from a 2011 35i to a 2011 35is. I am aware of the obvious cosmetic differences and the tuning and spec differences between the two. My question is, what other non-obvious changes are there? For instance, the steering on the 35is feels much stiffer in normal mode like the 35i feels in sport or sport+ mode. When you put it in sport mode the 35is's steering gets even more stiff. Also, the suspension feels stiffer in normal mode but not like the 35i would in sport mode. Is this normal? What other changes are there? What other things were changed?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

You are probably one of the best people to answer that.

A lot of people here will claim there isn't much difference other than a mild tune, exhaust, and some m badges

Does your 35is actually say "normal" as opposed to "comfort"? and are the wheel sizes the same?

Post up some more comparisons and congrats on the purchase
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
williakz
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
A lot of people here will claim there isn't much difference other than a mild tune, exhaust, and some m badges.
Don't forget those 20mm larger brakes. Oh, and the embroidered floormats, too. Plus, I think there's an extra chunk of plastic in the front air dam. Or maybe there's a chunk missing...hard to keep track of these big differences between the 35i and the 35is.

BTW, there is NO difference in "M" badges when the 35i is optioned to include the M-Sport package (standard on the 35is).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep

Quote:
You are probably one of the best people to answer that.

A lot of people here will claim there isn't much difference other than a mild tune, exhaust, and some m badges

Does your 35is actually say "normal" as opposed to "comfort"? and are the wheel sizes the same?

Post up some more comparisons and congrats on the purchase
It still says normal, sport, and sport+. The wheels are the stock upgraded 19inch wheel and tire sizes. I do notice some crackling in the exhaust note that's not on the 35i. I did know about the silver inserts in the front grills, silver sideview mirrors, and embroidered floor mats. I didn't know about the bigger brakes though. That's awesome to know.

By the way, thanks for the congratulations.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
VailM3
Captain
Rep

besides tune, brakes and exhaust. The two cars are identical if a 35i is optioned to a base 35is.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #6
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
The tune may affect more than the engine though as I can see the parts are identical for the suspension and direction from RealOEM.
      05-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #7
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

The steering feel is surely different. They tuned the parameters of the electronic steering system so that already in normal mode it is more "sporty" / less "comfortable". How they did it exactly we don't know of course, but it is all about software programming. If they wanted to, they could have "easily" changed the parameters of the adaptive suspension, engine and DCT as well. We know for sure that they played with the engine parameters to increase the POWER.

There are however no known mechanical differences to these systems, so as Nicknaz said you could be the first to find out! The N54(T) used in many BMWs has been updated over the years (search the forum), but the 35i/35is brakes are the same outside the US. And based on realoem only the mufflers of the exhaust system are different between the 35i and 35is.

Congratz on your new Z4, and please tell us more about the differences!

Last edited by Asbjorn; 05-08-2013 at 03:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
Malfunction
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche GTS

Did you 35i have the adaptive suspension? In Canada all the 35is come with that standard. That for sure would have an effect on the feel.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
williakz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
...the 35i/35is brakes are the same outside the US.
Something wrong here. BMW is not likely to produce different sets of 35i/35is vehicles for different markets (besides the obvious LH/RH drive). Therefore, either you are mistaken that brakes are the same between the two models, or BMW has made a change to ALL 35i/35is models, equipping them with the same brakes. Simple either/or proposition.

So, what is your evidence that there is no difference in brakes between the 35i/35is as supplied to your market? Where did you hear this? Where did you see this? How can someone else verify your assertion? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by williakz; 05-08-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by williakz View Post
Something wrong here. BMW is not likely to produce a different sets of 35i/35is vehicles for different markets (besides the obvious LH/RH drive). Therefore, either you are mistaken that brakes are the same between the two models, or BMW has made a change to ALL 35i/35is models, equipping them with the same brakes. Simple either/or proposition.
There is a third option... that however unlikely, they did in fact tweak the versions between regions.

Since we're talking about brakes here and not engine, transmissions or anything else that is core to the car, it doesn't seem implausible given the changes that they already put in place to comply with the varying requirements in specific countries. Its not as simple as right side wheel vs. left.

From what I understand, there's also a storage cubby on the drivers side under the light controls that they have in Europe but not in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction View Post
Did you 35i have the adaptive suspension? In Canada all the 35is come with that standard. That for sure would have an effect on the feel.
Yes it did. The first z4 had every package except comfort access, PDC, and upgraded audio. The reason that I got the specific new IS is because it is the same color scheme (white/ivory white) and has every package/option available including the cold weather package, premium audio package, adaptive high beams, alarm, cd changer, PDC, comfort access, BMW apps, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtGigglebox View Post
There is a third option... that however unlikely, they did in fact tweak the versions between regions.

Since we're talking about brakes here and not engine, transmissions or anything else that is core to the car, it doesn't seem implausible given the changes that they already put in place to comply with the varying requirements in specific countries. Its not as simple as right side wheel vs. left.

From what I understand, there's also a storage cubby on the drivers side under the light controls that they have in Europe but not in the US.
Well according to real OEM, there is a difference, look at the two part number lists for the same exact part. They also look different visually. However, they are the same cost.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGarciaTX View Post
Well according to real OEM, there is a difference, look at the two part number lists for the same exact part. They also look different visually. However, they are the same cost.

There's a bunch of different parts in there
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
williakz
Banned
Rep

Yup, brakes, exhaust, and ECU tuning are the real differences (besides $5,300) between the 35i and the 35is. Using parts sites like realoem, I ball-parked the model cost difference due to brakes and exhaust to be less than $400 in total. With a reasonably priced tuning program that clones the one in the 35is, the 35i could become a pretty compelling choice. Minor differences in brakes and exhaust, but same performance for a $5,000 discount. Sounds good to me. Get on it, ESS!

BTW, Asbjorn's contention still requires evidence be produced. There is ample evidence that the brake systems are different (see above). Where is the evidence that they are the same in the Asian market or anywhere else? Anybody know?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
DslDwg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is

Quote:
Yup, brakes, exhaust, and ECU tuning are the real differences (besides $5,300) between the 35i and the 35is. Using parts sites like realoem, I ball-parked the model cost difference due to brakes and exhaust to be less than $400 in total. With a reasonably priced tuning program that clones the one in the 35is, the 35i could become a pretty compelling choice. Minor differences in brakes and exhaust, but same performance for a $5,000 discount. Sounds good to me. Get on it, ESS!
I've seen this said before although it's really not accurate. Remember that the "is" version of the car comes with a few additional standard features that the "i" does not.

DCT
Increased Top Speed Limiter
Adaptive M Suspension
Premium Audio
Bodywork
M Badging Etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #16
williakz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DslDwg View Post
I've seen this said before although it's really not accurate. Remember that the "is" version of the car comes with a few additional standard features that the "i" does not.

DCT
Increased Top Speed Limiter
Adaptive M Suspension
Premium Audio
Bodywork
M Badging Etc.
You are WRONG! The $5,300 price differential between the 35i and the 35is is with ALL your "features" added to the 35i (with the exception of the speed limiter which I consider part of the ECU tune I have addressed previously).

Don't take my word for it, though. Go to the BMW website for your country and use its Build Your Own configurator to build two cars. One, a 35is and the second, a 35i with all the options needed to make it equivalent to the 35is. The price difference between the two cars will be approx. $5,300. Try it!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Something wrong here. BMW is not likely to produce different sets of 35i/35is vehicles for different markets (besides the obvious LH/RH drive). Therefore, either you are mistaken that brakes are the same between the two models, or BMW has made a change to ALL 35i/35is models, equipping them with the same brakes. Simple either/or proposition.

So, what is your evidence that there is no difference in brakes between the 35i/35is as supplied to your market? Where did you hear this? Where did you see this? How can someone else verify your assertion? Thanks in advance.
Also in EU both 35i and 35is share the same 348x30 brakes since the launch of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep

Quote:

BTW, Asbjorn's contention still requires evidence be produced. There is ample evidence that the brake systems are different (see above). Where is the evidence that they are the same in the Asian market or anywhere else? Anybody know?
You're thinking in terms of price difference from one model to the next. However, in real life, to do such a thing would require you paying for all the parts in their entirety; not just a hypothetical price difference between parts. If you can find a good z4 with no brakes or exhaust, etc. that is discounted the exact price of the parts that you would need to add on, then you would just pay the price difference. In real life terms, you're going to pay for the parts and the price difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #19
Z4-35i
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Correct our 2009 35i has the same size brakes as the 35is
      05-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtGigglebox View Post
The US market 35i has the same brakes as the 30i and these are different (smaller rotor, different caliper) than the 35is. the 35is and 35i have the same brakes outside of the US.

A quick visual inspection of a US market 35i and 35is side by side will confirm this and as others have done, looking on realoem is another check.

I was disappointed when I first learned about this (who wants to have smaller brake rotors after all ) but the reality from my experience is the car's cooling equipment deficiency is more of a barrier to extended hard driving than the smaller brakes

OP, interesting minor point is my 2012 35i has the default driving mode labeled "comfort" instead of "normal" in your 35is
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
williakz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGarciaTX View Post
You're thinking in terms of price difference from one model to the next.
Wrong again. I am calculating the "appropriate" or "reasonable" or "expected" discount between the two models. I come up with a $400 difference in component pricing (+ ECU tune) versus a $5,300 list price difference. While willing to accept a "lesser" car ($400 worth of inferiority), I would like the opportunity to bring the ECU software maps to equality. Perhaps someday this will occur...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #22
williakz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
...the 35is and 35i have the same brakes outside of the US.
Where's your evidence for this, nick? I'm not doubting your assertion; I'm simply asking where it is shown in black and white. It's a Missouri thing (although I've never been in Missouri...)
Appreciate 0