New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
M7NDP
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sdrive23i M Sport H'Lin

Roof operation update?

I have a 2011 model and was wondering if there was a software update available to open and close the roof without having to keep the button on the dash pressed for the duration. I believe the new models have had the mechanism beefed up and the software changed to allow open and close on the move but I was wondering if at least the button operation could be updated on mine? Can this be done without fitting the Smart Top box?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7NDP
I have a 2011 model and was wondering if there was a software update available to open and close the roof without having to keep the button on the dash pressed for the duration. I believe the new models have had the mechanism beefed up and the software changed to allow open and close on the move but I was wondering if at least the button operation could be updated on mine? Can this be done without fitting the Smart Top box?
+1 to this. Holding the button feels really awkward! I think smart top might be the only option at this point, however.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
redhot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive35i

+2 - Makes you look stupid when doing it for 20 secs. Why can't it be an auto operation and allow the user to interrupt by pressing the button again - BMW are you listening!
      04-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot
+2 - Makes you look stupid when doing it for 20 secs. Why can't it be an auto operation and allow the user to interrupt by pressing the button again - BMW are you listening!
Hey, we may look stupid, but our car makes up for it(;
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

It's a safety feature. If it was one-touch, and someone had their hand in the way, you couldn't react fast enough to stop the roof from closing or opening. What I don't get is the updated mechanism that lets you move the roof while driving. Explain to me how you can lean over, hold the button (and shift if you have an MT) and drive the car. And you look stupid doing it!

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
R1robot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
It's a safety feature. If it was one-touch, and someone had their hand in the way, you couldn't react fast enough to stop the roof from closing or opening. What I don't get is the updated mechanism that lets you move the roof while driving. Explain to me how you can lean over, hold the button (and shift if you have an MT) and drive the car. And you look stupid doing it!
It would make sense if BMW made an update to turn on cruise control as soon as you put the top down while in motion.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
redhot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Anti pinch features can be implemented quite easily and if safety was an issue smarttop manufacturer will be looking at lawsuits left and right from "Stupid" drivers who decide to lose a limb while operating the mechanism. It's no different than having your hand in the door jamb while closing the door.

While they are at it, they should move the position of the button to where the iDrive controller is located.
      04-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
williakz
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot View Post
Anti pinch features can be implemented quite easily and if safety was an issue smarttop manufacturer will be looking at lawsuits left and right from "Stupid" drivers who decide to lose a limb while operating the mechanism. It's no different than having your hand in the door jamb while closing the door.
Wow! Where to start? Effective anti-pinch measures for operating equipment are some of the most difficult engineering challenges in existence. "Solutions" are delicate, prone to falsing, and hideously expensive. The proof is in your last line; why don't doors have anti-pinch safeguards? Doors have been around for a while, no?

Also there's a big difference in pocket depth between Smarttop and BMW AG. If you don't see how that relates to current convertible operation, I suggest you consult a lawyer. Every family has one hiding out somewhere in one of its branches.

Last edited by williakz; 04-23-2013 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
While they are at it, they should move the position of the button to where the iDrive controller is located.
Please don't give them any ideas. Next thing we know the roof can only be operated from some sub-menu in iDrive if you run the correct app on your iPhone ...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by williakz View Post
Wow! Where to start? Effective anti-pinch measures for operating equipment are some of the most difficult engineering challenges in existence. "Solutions" are delicate, prone to falsing, and hideously expensive. The proof is in your last line; why don't doors have anti-pinch safeguards? Doors have been around for a while, no?

Also there's a big difference in pocket depth between Smarttop and BMW AG. If you don't see how that relates to current convertible operation, I suggest you consult a lawyer. Every family has one hiding out somewhere in one of its branches.
True dat. My passenger window has been acting up recently. Putting it up using one-touch and it always comes back down. Would be cool for the roof to have that though. If only.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl
Please don't give them any ideas. Next thing we know the roof can only be operated from some sub-menu in iDrive if you run the correct app on your iPhone ...
"BMW always positions everything in the cockpit in a way that makes sense, is aesthetically pleasing, and doesn't interfere with your driving experience! I find that idrive is extremely easy and simple to use!"-said no one ever
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
True dat. My passenger window has been acting up recently. Putting it up using one-touch and it always comes back down. Would be cool for the roof to have that though. If only.
What year is your Z4? Prior to 2012, there was a lot of this problem that arose because the front an rear windows went up simultaneously which resulted in some resistance felt by the front window, causing the pinch protector to activate. You can get a relay installed which allows the rear window to lag slightly behind the front when both are raised together, eliminating this problem. MY 2012 and forward have this built in.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
redhot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williakz View Post

Where there is a will there is a way... To you point on doors, this was the reason why I was comparing them to the roof. I cannot imagine how would safety would be a factor in not allowing a one touch operation as I imagine a roof to be a horizontal door with panels opening on x axis rather than y.

In any case, BMW would do what it thinks is the right thing to do...this s not a crowd sourced car and we customers speak from our wallets....
      04-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
williakz
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Where there is a will there is a way...
Only when money is unlimited; a vanishingly rare occurrence. The reason it's tough to engineer fail-safes in the roof mechanism is due to the number of pinchpoints, the leverage ratios involved at the joint, the proximity to occupants, and the critical need to keep the size and weight of the mechanism (and thus the car) to a minimum.

Quote:
I cannot imagine how would safety would be a factor in not allowing a one touch operation ...
I thought another poster addressed this. At any rate: if one-touch, you are no longer "tethered" to the console by your index finger while the mechanism is in motion. You could lean in to actuate it, then forget to get your head out of the way, or reach for your camera mounted on the rear deck and get pinched, or any of a thousand other stupid "I can't believe I (he/she) did that!" actions. And when any one of them occurs - which it inevitably will - there's Herr Bimmer just standing there with euros dangling out of his pockets ripe for the plucking. That's why you (and all the rest of us) have to sit there like dorks for 20 seconds at a time. Try humming something...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
M7NDP
Private
Scotland
Rep

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's a bit frustrated with the operation... And i think you all are right about it being the fail safe... Ah well, I'll guess l'll just have to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

As most may know already about the Comfort Access option, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents in any case. My Comfort Access allows the roof to be opened and closed with the FOB when standing outside the car but must near the rear Drivers side fender. With the FOB as well, you must hold the up arrow/unlock button for the same 20 seconds as the dash button, to open the roof and then hold the BMW logo button to close the roof and windows for the same 20 seconds. Under this scenario the risk of pinch protection would seem to be minimized unless of course there is some sitting in the car and or some is standing near it with flailing hands in action, so again the "Protect us from ourselves" lawyer speak kicks in even with CA?
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
williakz
Banned
Rep

Great! I did not know CA could do this. I'm really glad CA is now standard on Z4s. I had an awful time trying to find it on any used models. I suspect the vast majority were bought by guys who couldn't see the sense in paying for remote entry when the key is right in their pocket. For females, not so easy digging through whatever the hell they have in those giant handbags! Oops, tangent - sorry.

By having you hold the remote button continuously and from close range, BMW is shifting only the control location of the opening/closing operation; the responsibility for monitoring its safe and unimpeded progress to completion still rests with YOU. Clever.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #18
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
What year is your Z4? Prior to 2012, there was a lot of this problem that arose because the front an rear windows went up simultaneously which resulted in some resistance felt by the front window, causing the pinch protector to activate. You can get a relay installed which allows the rear window to lag slightly behind the front when both are raised together, eliminating this problem. MY 2012 and forward have this built in.
So that's what it was! I thought mine was just quirky...

To OP, why not just get a SmartTop?

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #19
M7NDP
Private
Scotland
Rep

I would get a smartTop but the lease will be up in less than a year now so I'll just have to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #20
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

To be honest, I don't think BMW was thinking that people would lose limbs while operating the roof.

More realistic is driver, or passenger accidentlly hitting the button while driving on the highway,

They may have been reaching for the heated seats, or maybe even getting change and then accidentlly opening it while driving at speed, or while there was low clearance above.

I agree it's a pain but I'm sure there's a z4 owner that is a flake n would cause some damage with out this feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #21
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

It's not that big of a deal, the actual 'keeping finger on button' part. I just wish that it was faster than ~20 seconds. The safety feature is alright, there are a LOT of careless ppl out there, be they the operator or some random passerby that wants to stick his/her body part when the freaking roof is moving. It's bound to happen if not hundreds of times already.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #22
sham
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Hi, i dont have CA and i installed the smartTop by myself in 10 minutes. Cool thing. you dont need to hold the button. have a look at their website.
Appreciate 0