New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #45
Merefield
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Interesting to hear that Jeremy Clarkson is held with such high regard. Top Gear is more of an entertainment show, so you're not likely to get a completely impartial, accurate and objective view of any car!

Still, as long as he tells us what we want to hear, we'll all be happy.
I think Top Gear is responsible for whipping me up into a frenzy of must-have-a-fast-sports-car petrol-head craziness which lead to me pulling out my credit card for my Z4.

That's my story and i'm sticking to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #46
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Here is why this thread is pointless. First of all if they would have said,, get the 35is because its so much better than the 35i, then all the people that bought the 35i would be feeling like they missed out. Who cares really. We all bought the car because it looks fantastic. How do I know? Because I constantly get asked about it in traffic. People stare at it long and hard. Constant compliments. The design whether in 35i 35is is brilliant and timeless. It doesnt really matter which one is slighter quicker than the other. 99% of the time, most are just cruising with the top down and enjoying the heck out of the car. So whats the point of making either party that bought either model feel bad? Do the people that bought the 35i compared to the 30i make them feel bad because theirs is a little slower? Hardly. This thread should be closed in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #47
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merefield View Post
I think Top Gear is responsible for whipping me up into a frenzy of must-have-a-fast-sports-car petrol-head craziness which lead to me pulling out my credit card for my Z4.

That's my story and i'm sticking to it.
it's a good one, might not hold up in court but it sounds good...

We don't have a lot of supercars around here but there are enough 500hp-plus cars so that trying to be the fastest sports car is a non issue with a Zed. With all the Shelbys', Vipers and high hp 'Vettes on the road, I stick to making 911 owners nervous.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #48
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

the 35i cost usd200k over here. 35is usd207k. For a 7k usd difference, most people here will take the 35is over the 35i anytime granted the difference is small relatively. If I were shopping for one now, it will be the 35is.

having said that, im very happy with my 35i, and even with the introduction of the 35is, it doesnt bother me the least bit thet there is a higher end model out.

If anything, im just curious about how different the dct re programming is ;>
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #49
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg-e89 View Post
If anything, im just curious about how different the dct re programming is ;>

Me too!

We need an experienced 35i driver to take a test drive of the 35is. My local dealer doesnt have either.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #50
Projekt35i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis@MWDesign View Post
For the extra money on the iS, you can easily tune the car with better parts than what has been placed on the iS to get better performance/handling (ECU upgrade, swaybars, coilovers = $4000 USD or so + install)

Although I have not driven my car with the Dinan Stage II yet but even before with standard lowering springs + swaybars, the car feels a lot better than stock already.

As I have said in another thread, wish there was a LSD out for the vehicle then its complete...

AGREE!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #51
Irvillac
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i Forcetech

Remapped 35i vs 35Si for better, for less!

I opted for a 2010MY 35i in December and added DCT, Sports Pack, Luxe Pack and a few other goodies, including White Interior and special Havanna paint job. Straight after than, I remapped the engine (ForceTech in France, a small outfit with Ferrari 'heritage') which turned off the limiter, really opened up the exhausts and gave neck breaking acceleration. Rolling road specs indicates 382bhp and 0-100km in 4.6secs. Cost me just under Euro 3000. Total costs including my additional specs meant that the car still cost over Euro 8500 less than 35Si and gives more pleasure.
REmapping with ForceTech done through BMW Dealer in France...and doesn't invalidate warranty since it can be 'undone' at any time.
Suggest anyone thinking about a 35Si consider their alternatives
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #52
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvillac View Post
I opted for a 2010MY 35i in December and added DCT, Sports Pack, Luxe Pack and a few other goodies, including White Interior and special Havanna paint job. Straight after than, I remapped the engine (ForceTech in France, a small outfit with Ferrari 'heritage') which turned off the limiter, really opened up the exhausts and gave neck breaking acceleration. Rolling road specs indicates 382bhp and 0-100km in 4.6secs. Cost me just under Euro 3000. Total costs including my additional specs meant that the car still cost over Euro 8500 less than 35Si and gives more pleasure.
REmapping with ForceTech done through BMW Dealer in France...and doesn't invalidate warranty since it can be 'undone' at any time.
Do they have a web site and/or dyno test data?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #53
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Off the factory line, with the 332HP that the 35i is proven to have, as opposed to the conservative figure of 300HP BMW for some reason wants you to believe, it will do 0-60 mph in 4.3 - 4.7 seconds. So, if you now have 382 HP, you should be able to shave another couple tenths of a second off that.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #54
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
I like all of the e89 models and if I had bought one just for me instead of for my wife, I would have bought the 30i with MT and almost no options but the Sport Package and Premium Sound
I concur and this is what I did buy. Loving the 6MT and the very smooth non-turbo 3.0 engine.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #55
Irvillac
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i Forcetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Do they have a web site and/or dyno test data?
Small outfit...no website that I've managed to get hold off. I only got know about them since they appear to be doing this sort of thing for my dealer (and others, I imagine) in NW France.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #56
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Small outfit...no website that I've managed to get hold off. I only got know about them since they appear to be doing this sort of thing for my dealer (and others, I imagine) in NW France.
Thanks
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #57
Ermis
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep
Drives: Z4

Garage List
Guys, i own a Z4 23i. You have to close this topic in my opinion as you make other owners feel jealous.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:48 AM   #58
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I went for the 35is in the end because I felt it overall represented what I wanted in a BMW sports car and I received superior value for money. I was also able to get the brushed aluminium trim I wanted (not avail with the 35i + Msport). I hope it will hold its value slightly better than the 35i. The JB3 will be compatible with it too if I want some extra power and smoothness in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #59
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
I went in to the local Porsche dealer today... a friend insisted I check out the new boxster spyder.

The dealership almost emptied itself with folks coming out to check out the 35is - they were fawning over the interior finish.
I asked them to spec up a spyder for me to match the features in the 35is.
Wait for it...

With options like the 19" wheel and extended leather the retail price for the 35is is nearly $150K here. To spec a spyder (nearly as powerful / fast in a straight line) to the same level with a DCT, leather interior, sat nav, active suspension, etc... over $195K.
The GM of the dealership admitted they would never get close on value to the BM.

HE has invited me to bring the car to the next porsche drive day though, to drive it back to back with the spyder to see if that can justify the price difference to me (and to him )

I'll give feedback when it happens...

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #60
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

You'd have guts to go up against the new Spyder. I havent driven either car, and I am not sure what they do on a Porsche day but on paper the Spyder with PDK & Sport Plus will outhandle on the corners and outpace on the straights a 35is I think.

The Spyder did cross my mind when buying the 35is but wasnt convinced on the look of it etc.

What I REALLY did consider was this beauty though for only $139,900 drive away before negotiation: a Lotus Scura! 1 of 35 made in the world and for sale new at the Sydney dealership:

http://www.lotusregister.co.za/images/Scura.jpg

Blistering performance (4 sec to 100 etc), handling, carbon fibre seats and so on.

But having already owned an Elise I wouldnt want to be driving long distance in it and moreover the MAINTENANCE...the paint is actually a rubberised matt paint that is only warrantied for 1 year. A member of the SELOC Lotus form bought one and posted the care instructions that were a page long in the manual just for the paintwork. It involved washing with de-mineralised water, special cleaning agents and coating it with armorall. Lotus also mentions it is very prone to fading.

All in all Z4 is the best all-round convertible in this price range.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #61
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
I went for the 35is in the end because I felt it overall represented what I wanted in a BMW sports car and I received superior value for money. I was also able to get the brushed aluminium trim I wanted (not avail with the 35i + Msport). I hope it will hold its value slightly better than the 35i. The JB3 will be compatible with it too if I want some extra power and smoothness in the future.
I have nothing against the 35is, and those that choose it, but why would it hold it's value any better than a 35i? In comparison to the new car buyer, the used car buyers, in general, don't place as much value on a few extra HP, a different facia and the other differences. I am not knocking the 35is, just saying that the extras it does have are not as important to a used car buyer in 3/4 years. Condition and miles will play the major role in how each 35i or 35is retain value. So, I could be wrong, but I do not see the 35is having a better resale market or retaining more of it's value than the 35i.

I do not think the 35i will hold it's value better than a 30i either. All the used car buyer sees is the same few extra HP and some differences over the 30i.

BMW built too much of a difference into the MSRPs for the owner of the higher priced model to realize any kind of resale value % advantage over the lower priced model, as it relates back to MSRP.

I the end (in 3-4 years) they'll all be $25k - $40k +/- used Z4s

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 07-22-2010 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #62
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

Too true Blue.., as a matter of fact the residual value on a 24 or 36month lease is higher for the 35i than it is for the iS and had been since it's release.

Look ppl this isn't a sound financial investment, it's a sports car. The minute you drive off the lot you take a hit that you will not recover from for many many years if at all. What we are purchasing is fun/enjoyment which lends itself to over all quality of life. You only get one go 'round on this marble, we don't have to rationalize everything, just hold on and enjoy.

Last edited by Wraith.; 07-22-2010 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #63
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
I went in to the local Porsche dealer today... a friend insisted I check out the new boxster spyder.

The dealership almost emptied itself with folks coming out to check out the 35is - they were fawning over the interior finish.
I asked them to spec up a spyder for me to match the features in the 35is.
Wait for it...

With options like the 19" wheel and extended leather the retail price for the 35is is nearly $150K here. To spec a spyder (nearly as powerful / fast in a straight line) to the same level with a DCT, leather interior, sat nav, active suspension, etc... over $195K.
The GM of the dealership admitted they would never get close on value to the BM.

HE has invited me to bring the car to the next porsche drive day though, to drive it back to back with the spyder to see if that can justify the price difference to me (and to him )

I'll give feedback when it happens...
Yes, you would be a brave man to pit your Z4 against their Boxsters/Caymans. I faced a similar dilemma when car shopping, although not seriously as the price gap was too big for me to swallow. The Cayman S I tried definitely corners way better, almost literally on rails: one just cannot beat the mid-engine setup...I just didn't feel confident enough to take the Z up at speed when turning...the criticisms on its slightly 'aloof' steering are not over-exaggerated, unfortunately. However, I didn't like the crazy >C$15k/$25k price difference (Cayman/Cayman S) and the dated looks of the Cayman. It would have been a real decision for me if the gap was <C$10k but those guys in Stuttgart really know how to bleed their customers, cars are relatively sparsely-equipped and you have to pay an arm/leg for each 'option' that should really be std equipment in a car like a Cayman. No wonder they're one of, if not the most profitable carmakers in the world.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #64
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
I have nothing against the 35is, and those that choose it, but why would it hold it's value any better than a 35i? In comparison to the new car buyer, the used car buyers, in general, don't place as much value on a few extra HP, a different facia and the other differences. I am not knocking the 35is, just saying that the extras it does have are not as important to a used car buyer in 3/4 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
Too true Blue.., as a matter of fact the residual value on a 24 or 36month lease is higher for the 35i than it is for the iS and had been since it's release.
Hi guys,
We have discussed this before... THis is Australia, our luxury car market is very very different to yours.
The cars cost a lot more because of our tax regime, and as used cars they attract a different kind of buyer behaviour.
Options are not valued as much when used as is a model differentiation. This is why it is better at resale to have a higher specced model than to spec the options into a lower model. (generally)
This is all Alext is saying... He is not tryign to boost his ego on his choice or starting what we call a "pissing contest"...
I dont know anyone who thinks a car is an investment (in this league anyway)
Now a Veyron... I would have to sell that one to the wife as an investment...

Oh - at the Porshe dealer yesterday - the saleman tried to suggest that the boxster spyder WAS the ONLY car he thought of as an investment! ha ha!

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #65
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Right on Stig!