New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #89
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

I discovered this feature playing around with the Sat radio the other day searching for X'mas tunes. Had the idrive screen open and just touched one of the preset radio buttons and noticed the channel information popped up at the top of the idrive screen. Didn't have to push the button at all. So I ran my finger across all the preset buttons and each one popped up the respective preset channel info. Apparently the preset buttons are touch sensitive.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #90
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 318d Exclusive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
I discovered this feature playing around with the Sat radio the other day searching for X'mas tunes. Had the idrive screen open and just touched one of the preset radio buttons and noticed the channel information popped up at the top of the idrive screen. Didn't have to push the button at all. So I ran my finger across all the preset buttons and each one popped up the respective preset channel info. Apparently the preset buttons are touch sensitive.
You're also aware these buttons aren't just radio presets, they can also be set to be a speed dial on the phone, or a destination on the nav, or to go online for weather or even to close the screen?

That's how I have mine. Plus 2 radio presets, and one that goes the radio preset index list.... ; )

Clever - until someone else gets in and tries to retune as if they were in a normal car, and ends up dialling your better have, entering your home destination and closing the screen in one quick move!

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #91
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Here are a couple:

1) For cars equipped with iPod/USB built after Sept 2010, a new "Combox" system is used. Among other things, this lets you pipe both control and audio from an iPod to the car using the standard Apple white dock/USB cable. The BMW "Y" cable is no longer needed. The main benefit I see to this is that the longer Apple cable is more useful if you have an iPhone and want to leave it out and accessible for using apps, making calls, etc. The Apple cable is thin enough and long enough to route out of the center console. It also charges the iPod/iPhone.

2) This is more of a "new to BMW dummy" observation. For cars *without* the auto-dim mirror, you can twist the translucent-gray gumdrop knob on the bottom of the mirror to toggle the dim mode. I was fumbling with the mirror while driving in the dark for the first time the other night, and couldn't figure out how to dim the mirror. The manual explained it pretty clearly.

3) if you get the M package and don't opt for power seats, the M sport seats have 5 levers and one button (lumbar) for adjustment. It's unreal how well they can be dialed in, but if you're an engineer like me, you could spend hours tweaking them. These controls are mirror opposite on the passenger seat. I was surprised that the passenger gets so much control.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #92
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

What's the secret for programming the touch sensitive buttons? Do you perform the function that you want the button to perform and then hold the button down for a few seconds to lock in this function?
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #93
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
1) For cars equipped with iPod/USB built after Sept 2010, a new "Combox" system is used. Among other things, this lets you pipe both control and audio from an iPod to the car using the standard Apple white dock/USB cable. The BMW "Y" cable is no longer needed. The main benefit I see to this is that the longer Apple cable is more useful if you have an iPhone and want to leave it out and accessible for using apps, making calls, etc. The Apple cable is thin enough and long enough to route out of the center console. It also charges the iPod/iPhone.
Sucks we don't have that. The Y-cable is a pain, always need to be concerned about squishing it and it also gets in the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #94
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-2010 Mike View Post
1. I have the iPhone cradle and was frustrated when it didn't seem to work. Turns out all I had to do was cycle power on the iPhone by holding the power button and the home button simultaneously for a few seconds, until a red slider appears. Slide it to shut down the iPhone. then wait for it to stop. Then power it back up with the power button on top. Music happens! This also gets in this mode occasionally, so remember to do this occasionally. Don't know who to blame, Apple or BMW, but A comes alphabetically before B, so...
You don't need to hold down both. Just hold down the sleep button, not the home button, and the red slider will come up. If you hold down both for much longer and the phone will reset. Not the end of the world, but word to the wise.

One thing I've noticed is the roof raise/lower buttons. Is it me or does the lower button's LED light never come on... it's always the raise button that either flashes green, lights green, or blinks red.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #95
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000jan View Post
Another one to remember:

when it has just rained, don't start driving with your window down ... you will get all wet from the water that poors from the roof

yes I know, own experience ...
------
My thought, on what I've always hoped the whole rain senor option, would do (sorta on topic)

The situation:

Car parked, top down, rain begins to fall. (eekk)

lurking in sleep mode is the Rain Sensor Gremlin (RSG)

RSG, notices rain drops and he sends a message & wakes up the Air Bag Gremlin (ABG) and checks to see IF, someone is sitting in the driver/passenger seat.....

<seat sensing occurring> . . <seat sensing occurring> . .

"Hey RSG, this is the ABG, seats are empty... do your thing"

"Roger ABG, I"m on it"

The trusty RSG comes to the rescue and closes the top, windows, and return to sleep mode.

All complete within 30 seconds.... and no panic mode "its raining where are the keys"

This should be standard in all cars: cabriolet - coupe w/sunroof - w/sunroof closed but windows down or vented - RSG saves the day!

BMW - are you listening....
      07-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #96
Jay60642
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Thought I saw a post about telescoping steering wheel. This would make things a lot easier for me. I'm average height and don't think I have stubby arms, but when the seat is pushed back to where my legs feel right, the wheel feels too far away. If my arms are comfortable, I feel like I'm driving like grandma.

Noob to this site. Just got my SG/CR 3.0 on 6/20. Last Bimmer was a 328i Alpine White coupe. This car is far more fun.

Anyone have a recommendation for winter sets I can get through Tirerack?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #97
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Please list all the things you DO know, then we can cross-check that list against the stuff WE know
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #98
bjarne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay60642 View Post
Thought I saw a post about telescoping steering wheel.
There is a lever on the left side of the steering column. See the owners manual page 47.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #99
Jay60642
Private
Rep

I know about the lever but have only used it to tilt the wheel. Can you actually pull the wheel farther away from the dash?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #100
bjarne
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I know about the lever but have only used it to tilt the wheel. Can you actually pull the wheel farther away from the dash?
Yes, but not too much, so it may not be as much as you like.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #101
Jay60642
Private
Rep

Thanks--not at home so couldn't check manual. Sad to say, I miss my Z4 more than my cats when I'm traveling.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #102
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks--not at home so couldn't check manual. Sad to say, I miss my Z4 more than my cats when I'm traveling.
Yeah, rental cars do that for me too.

In the last three weeks I have had to drive
Hyundai i45 (death trap at speed)
Toyota Camry (vanilla vanilla vanilla)
Holden Epica (gutless sponge on wheels)

Makes the late night blast from the airport to home something to look forward to on a Friday.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #103
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iUSN View Post
------
My thought, on what I've always hoped the whole rain senor option, would do (sorta on topic)

The situation:

Car parked, top down, rain begins to fall. (eekk)

lurking in sleep mode is the Rain Sensor Gremlin (RSG)

RSG, notices rain drops and he sends a message & wakes up the Air Bag Gremlin (ABG) and checks to see IF, someone is sitting in the driver/passenger seat.....

<seat sensing occurring> . . <seat sensing occurring> . .

"Hey RSG, this is the ABG, seats are empty... do your thing"

"Roger ABG, I"m on it"

The trusty RSG comes to the rescue and closes the top, windows, and return to sleep mode.

All complete within 30 seconds.... and no panic mode "its raining where are the keys"

This should be standard in all cars: cabriolet - coupe w/sunroof - w/sunroof closed but windows down or vented - RSG saves the day!

BMW - are you listening....

Great idea! Wonder if that would work if your butler poured a bucket of water on your car?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #104
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Not sure, but if he did, I'd fire him!
      07-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #105
Chuck Tung
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4 35i

Garage List
3 questions:

1) Under the lid of the armrest, what is the little velcro pocket for? I'm guessing it held a keyring that came with the car? (The CA handed me mine with my key)

2) In the trunk, what is the plastic bar that is stowed on the floor?

3) When I turn on the AC, it seems to ignore the temperature setting and always blast icy cold air. The "auto" feature seems to control the only the fan speed and not the air temperature?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #106
Jay60642
Private
Rep

The Velcro pocket is great for stowing an iPod or iPhone. There is a convenient slit in it for cable.

The bar in trunk is part of their weird cargo net solution. You can use it to secure grocery bags, etc. I think of you have a pass-through it is also used to hold skis securely.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #107
bjarne
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tung View Post
3 questions:

1) Under the lid of the armrest, what is the little velcro pocket for? I'm guessing it held a keyring that came with the car? (The CA handed me mine with my key)

2) In the trunk, what is the plastic bar that is stowed on the floor?

3) When I turn on the AC, it seems to ignore the temperature setting and always blast icy cold air. The "auto" feature seems to control the only the fan speed and not the air temperature?
1. I have wondered that myself, and I did not get a keyring Need to talk to my CA about that.

2. You have the Through Loading option (part of the Cold Weather package) and the bar is for supporting the backend of skis. It attaches to the two uprights in the back of the trunk. See owners manual page 100.

3. I think that is how all my car air conditioners have worked, they cool air to the max but the fan controls the flow (and effectively the amount of cooling). The center vents supposedly can mix in some outside air with the little thumb wheel, but I have never seen that being effective.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #108
bjarne
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The Velcro pocket is great for stowing an iPod or iPhone. There is a convenient slit in it for cable.
That makes sense
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #109
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tung View Post
When the a/c is on AUTO, then the temp #s matter and it sets it to correspond w/ the number, and then you can also set the fan speed (it will have varying a/c air to maintain that temp setting).

When the auto is OFF, then besides the fan speed you can set the cool/warm but the flow is constant.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #110
Chuck Tung
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
When the a/c is on AUTO, then the temp #s matter and it sets it to correspond w/ the number, and then you can also set the fan speed (it will have varying a/c air to maintain that temp setting).

When the auto is OFF, then besides the fan speed you can set the cool/warm but the flow is constant.
Not what I observe. Even if I set the temperature to the outside ambient air temperature, I still get icy cold air with the a/c on. I think that will even happen if I set the temp to > outside ambient, but I will need to test that.

My old Acura TL used to:
- provide the requested temp, if cabin temperature was at desired temp
- max cold and max fan if cabin was >> desired temp
- slightly colder than desired if sun sensor detected bright sun
Appreciate 0