New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

So I Changed The Oil in My Z4 for the Time

Since my OEM 4Yr-50K Mainteniance and my agreed 1st 2 oil changes included with the purchase ended, I needed to change the Oil in the Z for the 1st time.
I take care of all my cars and lots of other machines maintenance, so this was just another Oil change.
Took the Z for a 30 minute drive to warm everything up before draining the oil.
Materials Purchased and Used.
Oil-7 liters of Liquid Moly 5-30- Long Life rated Oil. The 35i Z holds 6.5 liters so 7 gives me a 1/2 liter for top off . If I had thought about it this would have been my 1st indication that I was in for a BIG MESS.
Mahle Oli Filter HU816X
86 MM Oil filter tool
17 MM Socket and 1/2 wrench ( size of the Oil Filter Cap tool and Oil Drain Plug
Got out my 2 jacks and 2 jack stands
Tarp
Rags
etc.
Thanks to the forum members recommendedations on jack points and etc, 1st I jacked the car up on 1 side using the jack pads and my pads adapters, so I could see under the car and and find the Center Jack Pad, which is right in front of the oil pan access door.
You absolutely cannot see this center jack pad by looking under the car while sitting LOW to the ground. Jacking it up was key.

Jacked the car up from the center, mounted the 2 stands under the jack pads opened the Oil access door, loosened the 17 MM Oil drain plug, put my plastic traps down to save against misc spliis, put my oli drain pan under neath and let the oil rip.

Now the fun began.
My Oil Cacth pan was oil good for 5.5 Quarts. I was not THINKING.
Now the oil is flowing and I realize that the overflow of HOT dirty OIL is about to ensue.
I get my rags to stop the oil flow.
I get 2 water bottles to try to dip them into the pan to take some oil of the catch pan.
As my drive way has a slight lean the oil is now running off the double layer tarp, fully absorbing into the rags BUT messy. and oil keeps flowing.

Finally the oil flow has stopped.
I removed enough oil from the catch pan with the water bottles to get the oil depth equal to the rim of the catch pan.
Now I have to move a 100% full Oil catch pan to out from under he car to a spot where I have bottles to pour the oil into for recycling.
As we can all guess the oil is slouching from side to side, dripping, spilling, during my 30 foot walk to the recycle area.
I finally get the oil poured into the recyclying bottles and have to clean up the mess un der the car.
What a job.
All I had to do was think about this oil catch pan and its size compared to the 6.5 liters of oil to save this UNNECESSAY mess.
After the clean up, all went well with the finished job.
What was to have been a easy job, and it was, turned into a MESSY Nightmare.
Needless to say I have already purchased a new 10 quart oil catch pan for next time.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

I'll be doing my own service too in a couple of years and I'd like to think I can find a way to use my trusty old Rhino ramps instead of all that jacking. Maybe using a 2"x8" adaptor board in front of the ramp I can avoid contact with the chin spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
toofache32
Rep
Drives: mine

They don't have a Jiffy Lube or something in your area?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
I'll be doing my own service too in a couple of years and I'd like to think I can find a way to use my trusty old Rhino ramps instead of all that jacking. Maybe using a 2"x8" adaptor board in front of the ramp I can avoid contact with the chin spoiler.
Wood boards are a must if you're using ramps. But you have to make the boards to raise the car to a certain height and then store them somewhere. It's really easier to use jack stands.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
They don't have a Jiffy Lube or something in your area?
You're kidding, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Quote:
You're kidding, right?
Why not? The guys at my local car wash/OC place I've used for the past 6 years messed up the threads on my e38 oil pan and told me right away. They paid for complete replacement without me asking. Customer for life now.

I use to do all my maintenance - but this story just reminds me why I hate changing fluids, especially to save ~$30-40 in labor. My time is more valuable now.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Wood boards are a must if you're using ramps. But you have to make the boards to raise the car to a certain height and then store them somewhere. It's really easier to use jack stands.
Except that three BMW jack point "hockey pucks" is $60. I bought one thinking that would be sufficient and I thought the $20 was ridiculous seeing as I modified a simple $2 hockey puck for use on the pinch welds of my Mazdas. For my money, ramps are a lot less hassle.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
toofache32
Rep
Drives: mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
Why not? The guys at my local car wash/OC place I've used for the past 6 years messed up the threads on my e38 oil pan and told me right away. They paid for complete replacement without me asking. Customer for life now.

I use to do all my maintenance - but this story just reminds me why I hate changing fluids, especially to save ~$30-40 in labor. My time is more valuable now.
I'm not kidding at all. If I can afford a Z4 then I can afford to pay some high school punk to change my oil. It's faster and cheaper when you consider having to buy all the equipment. It's not like they're rebuilding the engine or something....it's just changing the oil which I used to do myself when I had my pickup. I also hire someone to do my yard work.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
paris1
Captain
Rep

Such is the diluted BMW enthusiast gene pool of the modern era.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #11
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep

To Each his own for maiteniance for those who are DIY'ers and those who perfer to pay others.

I only trust myself for this and what ever other maintenioance that I can perform. WHEN HAVE THE CORRECT TOOLS[/I].
i do not trust anyone touching my mechancial stuff including the BMW dealer.
To date when I took the Z to the BMW dealer under warranty , they destroyer the paint on 2 wheels, put 2 scrctchs on the car and forgot to complete one of the service items requested. They covered all the issues but what a HASSLE.

Then theres Wiffy Lube. I take my company car-2014 Dodge Journey, to Wiffy Lube as they are contracted to service it including rotating the tires every 10K mikes.
The 1st tire rotation at 10K, the uncaring doof ( I meam team menber) using the air gu took the paint nearly 100 off 10 lug holes on a brand new car. Scratched the holes don to the bare metal on 10 holes. Again they covered it after extreme complaining and a total hassle in the middle of last winter.

To be fair, However, I do use JL for my 200K Miile Hyundia and smy ons Jettsa BUT NEVER, EVER, EVER will they touch the Z.

I made my own bed with this oil change because I was the total doof.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:42 AM   #12
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Except that three BMW jack point "hockey pucks" is $60. I bought one thinking that would be sufficient and I thought the $20 was ridiculous seeing as I modified a simple $2 hockey puck for use on the pinch welds of my Mazdas. For my money, ramps are a lot less hassle.
You don't need those OEm jack inserts. Just use a real hockey puck, unmodified. works great. But to each his own.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You don't need those OEm jack inserts. Just use a real hockey puck, unmodified. works great. But to each his own.
seems to me the shape of the jack point pad would preclude use of a simple puck. Bu then I didn't really study the situation closely before ordering the BMW-designed version.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #14
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Quote:
Ouch - a little harsh...

At some point in my life - I moved from having more time than money to money than time. I'd just rather spend my time with my family than doing an oil change - but really it's moreso about me hating to change fluids. Did everything on my e38, except for the fluids
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #15
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I'm not kidding at all. If I can afford a Z4 then I can afford to pay some high school punk to change my oil. It's faster and cheaper when you consider having to buy all the equipment. It's not like they're rebuilding the engine or something....it's just changing the oil which I used to do myself when I had my pickup. I also hire someone to do my yard work.
Exactly. Last time BMW changed my oil they also gave me a nice little ding (Which I had them remove) At least at Jiffy Lube I get to stand there and watch them change it. Don’t get me wrong. I love my Z. But It’s a BMW not a Pagani Huayra. They’re a dime a dozen. Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ouch - a little harsh...

At some point in my life - I moved from having more time than money to money than time. I'd just rather spend my time with my family than doing an oil change - but really it's moreso about me hating to change fluids. Did everything on my e38, except for the fluids
I can certainly understand your reasoning, but Jiffy Lube? I guess it's this kind of thinking "If I can afford a Z4 then I can afford to pay some high school punk to change my oil." that I find kind of strange! I value my investment a tad more than that.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #17
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
seems to me the shape of the jack point pad would preclude use of a simple puck. Bu then I didn't really study the situation closely before ordering the BMW-designed version.
Oh, my bad. Sorry. I use the hockey puck for the floor jack. With jack stands I have rubber jack point covers. The jack points straddle the plastic rectangle and the rubber cover prevents any damage.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #18
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ouch - a little harsh...

I'm sure most of us can afford to have someone perform maintenance work on our cars. It comes down to what you want to do. I get a lot of enjoyment doing stuff like this and I also know that it's getting done right, with the products that I like to use.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #19
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure most of us can afford to have someone perform maintenance work on our cars. It comes down to what you want to do. I get a lot of enjoyment doing stuff like this and I also know that it's getting done right, with the products that I like to use.
+++++1
I enjoy maintaining my stuff ALMOST as much as using them.
Driving (a well maintained) Z that I did my own stuff on is great mental and physical therapy.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #20
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Everyone's an enthusiast in a different way

EDIT: Btw, my car is automatic and I don't DIY (car under warranty). I have a bunch of hats and shirts though. Enthusiast right?!

Last edited by nicknaz; 11-17-2014 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #21
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Everyone's an enthusiast in a different way

EDIT: Btw, my car is automatic and I don't DIY (car under warranty). I have a bunch of hats and shirts though. Enthusiast right?!
+1 Some of us have Jeeves to do all the grunt work. More of a gearhead than an enthusiast. I'm less mechanically-inclined, doesn't make me less of an enthusiast vs the next person.
Appreciate 0