New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
Question remove sidemarkers?

anyone know how to remove the side markers? these are much different then other BMW model sidemarkers which are pretty easy to remove. is there a secret tab? push/lift? any help would be appreciated.

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
Ur_Up
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I too would like to know this. My one got damaged by a door being opened on it..

No idea who did it in the car park.. good thing no panel damage
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur_Up View Post
I too would like to know this. My one got damaged by a door being opened on it..

No idea who did it in the car park.. good thing no panel damage
Sounds like a good reason not to remove them then

Looks like there is nothing special to removing the sidemarkers, at least according to this post:

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320268
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

They mean the side blinkers not the side name plates
      02-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
They mean the side blinkers not the side name plates
Ok, I can't imagine why anybody would want to remove the side blinkers from his car, but to each his own. First I thought they were talking about the roundels, but not sure if any other BMW model has them.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
Ok, I can't imagine why anybody would want to remove the side blinkers from his car, but to each his own. First I thought they were talking about the roundels, but not sure if any other BMW model has them.
I am replacing them with a pair of tinted sidemarkers because the factory "white" ones look hideous on my jet black z4. I can't believe no one on this forum can help me out?

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
LofgrenCL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, E89, E46

This is easy..

Sorry once again I do not have pictures (I know - no pics - it didn't happen.)

But really this is a simple DIY: (Took me 30 minutes in my garage.)

Open the hood. On either side above the lights are steel plates that guide hood pins into the top of the quarter panels. These are attached by two Torx screws. Remove this plate and you will be able to look into the cavity behind the side maker. (You will need a flashlight) The Plastic side marker housing is held in place by plastic tabs (at the front) and a plastic "L" shaped ledge at the rear. Confirm this by looking into the quater panel.
This distance to the side marker from the opening is about 16 - 18 inches. I used a LONG wood bit for a screw driver. While pulling on the edge of the (front) of the side marker, push on the tab from inside the quarter panel. With gentle massaging and some luck the front will pop out without breaking the tab. The rear will slide forward and the entire assembly will be hanging from the wiring to the light in the marker. (Do not use any tool to pry or you will break the plastic or scratch your paint.

Remove the wiring from the marker and attach it to the new side marker assembly.

Install is opposite of removal. Rear "ledge" in first - then pop front portion and tab back into the quarter panel. Dont forget to reinstall the guide plate in EXACTLY the same position on the top of the quarter panel. (Confirm placement by lowering hood to closed position BEFORE tightening Torx screws.)

I replaced the white markers with tinted versions (from IND) on my wifes car.

IND has tinted side markers both Dark and Medium tint. I got the Medium for her Crimson Red, 35i. They look nice and are very good quality.

http://parts.ind-distribution.com/pr...o=368:thumsup:

Good luck.. Again sorry no pics but I am in Texas and my (wifes) Z4 is in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LofgrenCL View Post
Sorry once again I do not have pictures (I know - no pics - it didn't happen.)

But really this is a simple DIY: (Took me 30 minutes in my garage.)

Open the hood. On either side above the lights are steel plates that guide hood pins into the top of the quarter panels. These are attached by two Torx screws. Remove this plate and you will be able to look into the cavity behind the side maker. (You will need a flashlight) The Plastic side marker housing is held in place by plastic tabs (at the front) and a plastic "L" shaped ledge at the rear. Confirm this by looking into the quater panel.
This distance to the side marker from the opening is about 16 - 18 inches. I used a LONG wood bit for a screw driver. While pulling on the edge of the (front) of the side marker, push on the tab from inside the quarter panel. With gentle massaging and some luck the front will pop out without breaking the tab. The rear will slide forward and the entire assembly will be hanging from the wiring to the light in the marker. (Do not use any tool to pry or you will break the plastic or scratch your paint.

Remove the wiring from the marker and attach it to the new side marker assembly.

Install is opposite of removal. Rear "ledge" in first - then pop front portion and tab back into the quarter panel. Dont forget to reinstall the guide plate in EXACTLY the same position on the top of the quarter panel. (Confirm placement by lowering hood to closed position BEFORE tightening Torx screws.)

I replaced the white markers with tinted versions (from IND) on my wifes car.

IND has tinted side markers both Dark and Medium tint. I got the Medium for her Crimson Red, 35i. They look nice and are very good quality.

http://parts.ind-distribution.com/pr...o=368:thumsup:

Good luck.. Again sorry no pics but I am in Texas and my (wifes) Z4 is in Germany.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
ramiles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 2010

Got my side tinted side marker lamps from Andrew at IND - they look great, but I wasn't able to follow the install instructions and hints provide in this thread.

I am drawing a blank getting access to the back of the lamp to bump it out - can't see any panel (attached by torx screws) above the lamp that I can remove. I do see a opening in the side panel itself that you can get to the front of the lamp but cant visualize how the front of the lamp attaches. Appears you could remove the wheel and the inner fender and get to it that way - but that seems like more work than needed.

Appreciate any additional help. Have included two pics - one of the side panel and another of the front of the lamp that may help someone explain. Thanks Ross

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
LofgrenCL
Private First Class
Rep

I will try to clarify

OK, Here is the area where on my car there is a plate and guide post for the hood.

Since you do not have the plate - that step is unnecessary.

Use a flashlight to look into the hole and ID the tab on the front of the side marker. Using a LONG screwdriver or I used a long drill bit to push in the tab. The assembly will then pop out towards you like this:

IM me if you need clarification of any of this.. It really is easy and DOES NOT require removal of any wheel well components..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

it begs the question, why?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
ramiles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 2010

Awesome help - thanks LofgrenCL for taking the time to explain and document it. When complete will take some pics to show the results for the folks who ask why.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #13
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 z4 3.0 crimson red

pics of tinted side covers on z4 please........
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
LofgrenCL
Private First Class
Rep

Thumbs up As to why?

Anyone can buy a car at the Stealership and drive it.. I want my wifes car to be more personal. She loves the tinted sidemarkers and her Z is the only one in Stuttgart with them. Its an attention to detail thing. If you have to ask why then you probably wont understand.

Maybe if I had pics of my wifes car (Red 3.5 with 19's) then you might understand. But I suspect there will always be people who just live to cause trouble.

Glad to be of help. PM if you have any trouble. It really is not that difficult (if I figured it out!!)

Last edited by LofgrenCL; 03-29-2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: eror
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 z4 3.0 crimson red

pics pics pics........
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
Nick Y.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E89 Z4 28i

Thanks a lot! I just removed the original one and replaced with IND tint sidemarkers yesterday, it looks awesome in my black Z4.
Appreciate 0