New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Latvianstallion
Latvianstallion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4 s35i

E89 Tuning

If I want to maximize engine output on my new E89 with a straight shifter and sport package with M-suspension what would be the best company to go with, how would I go about it, what will it cost, and does it void the BMW warrenty? I want only the best, no problems just performance.

Z
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 04:32 AM   #2
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Dinan is your best bet. No tunes 'void' the warrantee, but the repair of tune-caused damage will not be warrantee-covered. It's a legal matter, but ... you break it by screwing with the innards, you fix it.

Dinan, however, has its own warrantee that covers tune-caused damage denied under the BMW policy, same months and miles. Excellent dealer network, great tune (30K miles in an E93 335i with Stage One tune).

Not yet available for the N54 in the E89 but 'we're working on it' is the quote I got from a Dinan guy on the fone some weeks ago.

Dinan actually recodes the firmware in the ECU. Most of the other tuners trick the firmware by intercepting signals and changing them. All will give you a lot more power than you can ever use on real roads.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
Latvianstallion
Latvianstallion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4 s35i

E89 w/ N54 Tuning question

Thanks for the info. I had come to the conclusion that Dinan might be the best option though not yet available for the N54. Do they do the install or is it all DIY? What about air intakes and exhaust are these also necessary or are we getting into severely diminished returns? I certainly do not want the car to look any different from the outside, she's a beauty just as it is. My 12 year old daughter has christened her Clarisse.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvianstallion View Post
Thanks for the info. I had come to the conclusion that Dinan might be the best option though not yet available for the N54. Do they do the install or is it all DIY? What about air intakes and exhaust are these also necessary or are we getting into severely diminished returns? I certainly do not want the car to look any different from the outside, she's a beauty just as it is. My 12 year old daughter has christened her Clarisse.
No DYI. Either take the car to a Dinan dealer (some are BMW dealers) or (early on in the availability) send the ECU to Dinan in California. Usually takes them a few weeks to get the software to the dealer network.

No exhaust or intake requirements. Only N54 requirement is that the car have an oil cooler - the s35i does (early E90-series did not). dinancars.com is website. Pretty good about fone conversations.
Appreciate 0