New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #23
Gpwheels
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 z4sdrive35i

Hey persian54. Probably not the right place, but I don't want to start a new thread for this. Since you own/owned both the sl and z4, how do you find they compare. Which do you like better and are there things you miss about the z4. I love the sl and was considering one when I bought my z. Just curious about your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #24
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpwheels View Post
Hey persian54. Probably not the right place, but I don't want to start a new thread for this. Since you own/owned both the sl and z4, how do you find they compare. Which do you like better and are there things you miss about the z4. I love the sl and was considering one when I bought my z. Just curious about your opinion.
Hey man

They are two completely different cars. The SL is in a class of it's own (rightly so, huge price difference).

The SL is more comfortable, more luxurious, has more features than I can remember, faster (V8 biturbo!), engine sounds much better (I love V8s)…. it's a better car overall.

But it has some major cons that are fixed with the SL63 AMG, but that was out of my comfort zone in terms of price.
Cons:
-Transmission is crap. Then again, I find most non-DCT transmission as crap… the AMG one is great, but the regular tranny on the SL550 is slow, laggy, and shifts at Redline.
- Exhaust could be louder, but then again this is supposed to be a touring car, so I can see why they didn't make it louder. the SL63 fixes this…
- Suspension could be stiffer, but then again this car isn't designed for that. It can still handle the twisties very well (I have no had a chance to track it yet).

The Z4 is more fun to drive, as it is lighter, smaller, and the exhaust blips are intoxicating on downshifts. (Especially with the topdown)
DCT and exhaust blips on downshift (which is related to the DCT..) are probably the only things I really miss about the Z4/E93 M3 that the SL does not have.

The Z4 is not nearly as comfortable, classy, luxurious, or refined. The SL63 has become my favorite roadster… but it is out of my comfort range. It turns the great SL into the perfect roadster.

I have yet to drive a Ferrari California, but I do not know of a better hardtop convertible out there right now that would best the SL63.
The SL550 comes second.

The 6 series doesn't count as it's a soft top, 991 included. I am not a fan of soft top convertibles for daily driving.

Some features I love about the SL that the Z4 doesn't have:
- Dynamic seats (side boasters fill in when you turn)
- Massaging seats
- very comfortable seats that can be adjusted almost in infinite ways
- heat scarf (blows hot hair on your neck, perfect for chilly topdown nights on the freeway. My previous 09 SLK300 and this feature as well)
- automatic wind deflector. push of a button and it comes up, unlike needing to have one constantly in place with the Z4 (so I can improve visibility when I need it. or take it down when I want to feel more air, etc)

I can go on….. but I think this should suffice. I loved the Z4, and wouldn't mind owning a Z4 M if they made one, but after two Z4 35i cars, I don't plan to get another. I almost for a 35iS, but decided against it after driving it. It was slower than my tuned Z4 35i and wasn't worth the $700/month payment.

The SL550 worked out great for me.
But there is a huge difference in MSRP.
My Z4 was ~$65k, MSRP on my Sl550 is ~$113k.

Lease on the SL is about 1.5 times more than what the Z4 cost me to lease.

Last edited by persian54; 03-18-2014 at 02:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #25
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

I'm surprised you like the Dynamic Seats + Massage options.

Unless they have a specially "tuned" version for the higher classes, I special ordered my E Class with both of those options because I thought they would be something useful. Unfortunately, on the E at least, the dynamic seat/adaptive cushioning bolster is way delayed and my body has already shifted significantly before it does anything. The massage option sounded promising, but wasn't anything more than a lump of air rolling up and down your back.

With that said, I think Merc has definitely gotten it right with the Airscarf on convertibles, as it makes a big difference. Having cross shopped the SLK with the Z like most of us, I can say the Airscarf was a major con for the Z that made the decision really hard for me.

Back on topic, good review. It was as expected though, as the SL is the definition of a grand tourer/cruiser (that packs a punch) while the Z is more of a "sports car" with luxurious features added in.

Any pics of the new ride?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #26
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
-Transmission is crap. Then again, I find most non-DCT transmission as crap… the AMG one is great, but the regular tranny on the SL550 is slow, laggy, and shifts at Redline.
I think the gearbox is a weak spot of the MB/AMG in general. I spent some time with my brother's E63 wagon and it was a bit frustrating to be denied downshifts or get slow downshifts. The car is such a beast in the right gear, but it can be caught off guard due to the inbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4;
Having cross shopped the SLK with the Z like most of us.
For me the biggest CON of the Z was the lack of V8 noise.. I get that the SLK55 is really about the same as a Z435i with chip or chip+FMIC but the noise from the V8 as it goes about its business is so AWESOME
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 02:54 AM   #27
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
I'm surprised you like the Dynamic Seats + Massage options.

Unless they have a specially "tuned" version for the higher classes, I special ordered my E Class with both of those options because I thought they would be something useful. Unfortunately, on the E at least, the dynamic seat/adaptive cushioning bolster is way delayed and my body has already shifted significantly before it does anything. The massage option sounded promising, but wasn't anything more than a lump of air rolling up and down your back.

With that said, I think Merc has definitely gotten it right with the Airscarf on convertibles, as it makes a big difference. Having cross shopped the SLK with the Z like most of us, I can say the Airscarf was a major con for the Z that made the decision really hard for me.

Back on topic, good review. It was as expected though, as the SL is the definition of a grand tourer/cruiser (that packs a punch) while the Z is more of a "sports car" with luxurious features added in.

Any pics of the new ride?
I haven't tried the seats in the E class, but I love the ones in my SL.
They're better than the ones they had on the previous body S class from what I can tell, though I was only in the S class for a short test drive (thus not a very fair comparison)

I have no delay in the dynamic seats. it's so quick that, even if I hit a bump on one side, it'll fill in a little to make sure I don't shift in my seat; it's awesome.

Link to some info on the SL:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945600

Quick pics:

After tint:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I think the gearbox is a weak spot of the MB/AMG in general. I spent some time with my brother's E63 wagon and it was a bit frustrating to be denied downshifts or get slow downshifts. The car is such a beast in the right gear, but it can be caught off guard due to the inbox

For me the biggest CON of the Z was the lack of V8 noise.. I get that the SLK55 is really about the same as a Z435i with chip or chip+FMIC but the noise from the V8 as it goes about its business is so AWESOME

AMG tranny is good from my experience. I like it quite a bit. Non-AMG… not so much. My E350 Blutech has a realllllly slow and crappy transmission. I hate it… but then again i have no need to shift. I just go WOT when i need to go anywhere and my 400+ lbs of torque do their thing.

I would take a SLK55 over a Z4 any day, no question. AMG> Non-M BMW.

I would take a Z4M over a SLK55… assuming they make a Z4 M….
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #28
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [7.50]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]